I've put in the hours researching, but still need some help

Okay, so I’ve been on the hunt for a mattress for the last 6 months, and have been on a journey to find the perfect mattress. Earlier in the summer, I bought a Tempurpedic Rhapsody Luxe in Medium Firm after doing some research. I slept like a baby on it every night, but developed some mid back pain. I also noticed that the bed was softening up quite a bit in the 45-50 days I’d had it.

I’m an overweight (6’ 250lbs) combo sleeper (mostly stomache, sometimes back) and I found when I slept on my stomache, I’d have problems. I put in a comfort exchange, and decided to stay away from memory foam and traded in the Tempurpedic for a very firm Beautyrest Black Alexia Extra Firm. With the extra money from the exchange, they threw in a very nice Tempurpedic adjustable base w/ massage and 5 year warranty, as well as some great sheets.

After I had signed the paperwork for the exchange, they placed the order, but it took about a month for everything to get in. While I was waiting, something happened— I started exclusively sleeping on my back. All my back problems went away, and I was very happy with the Tempurpedic (albeit, still concerned about the softening which I imagine would have continued.)

Last week I received the Extra Firm Beautyrest and my sleep hasn’t been good since then. Those beautiful nights of REM cycles disappeared. After the first night, I felt some regret about the exchange and bought a 3" Tempurpedic topper thinking it would bring me closer to the feel I had before. Needless to say, it hasn’t changed much. It’s only slighly more comfortable, but itsn’t really changing the quality of my sleep. The good news about the Tempurpedic topper is that I can still return it no questions asked and get my $400 back.

I’m wondering what I should do. At this point, I’ve exhausted the possibility of a comfort exchange, and I’ve sunk a lot of money into this.

Right now, I’m thinking a few things:

Option A: Get rid of the 3" Tempurpedic topper, and buy a 6" medium firm latex topper to add on top of the firm Alexia.

Option B: Keep the 3" Tempurpedic topper, and buy a 3"-4" medium firm latex topper to play around with by putting the two layers together and switching them around two la to see which would provide the most comfort

Option C: Sell the Beautyrest on craigslist and hopefully get $1000. Buy a new bed… maybe an ultimate dreams?

Any recommendations on these options? If I go with option C, any recommendations for an overweight stomache sleeper?

Thanks!

Also, if I were to keep the extra firm as a “base” to add layers on, what would be the best combination to represent something similar to the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Luxe I had before?

For instance…

2" of soft gel memory foam on top
3-4" of medium firm latex beneath in the middle
Beautyrest Extra Firm as my base

or
6" Medium Firm Latex on top of
Beautyrest Extra Firm as base

Hi handsoap,

While Tempurpedic mattresses are not particularly good “value” because there are many other manufacturers that use the same quality of materials that would be just as durable in lower budget ranges … at least the Rhapsody Luxe you purchased uses good quality and durable materials (see post #3 here for the specs) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress relative to your body weight that would compromise it’s durability (see the quality/durability guidelines here).

There will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress over the first few weeks or (or sometimes a few months with higher quality/density materials) and it’s very possible that you just needed some time for the mattress to break in and your body to adjust to the feel of a mattress that is different from what you were used to (see post #3 here and post #2 here). If a mattress uses high quality materials then once it has gone through the initial break in period then any further foam softening would be much more gradual over time.

It also wouldn’t be unusual that a mattress that was too soft for stomach sleeping was a good “match” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) for a back sleeper or a side sleeper because stomach sleepers tend to need a firmer mattress to prevent the heavier parts of their body (hips/pelvis) from sinking down too far and sleeping in a swayback position which can lead to discomfort and pain in the lower back or if your pillow is too thick for stomach sleeping in the neck and upper back as well.

Unfortunately the Beautyrest Alexia Black mattress you exchanged for uses much lower quality/density materials than the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Luxe that would be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability and would be subject to more rapid foam softening and breakdown than the higher quality materials in the Tempurpedic. If you click “overview” on this page you can see how low the quality/density of the materials in your mattress is even though it’s one of the higher end Simmons mattresses. This is one of the reasons that I generally suggest avoiding the major brands such as Simmons, Sealy, and Serta completely because more rapid foam softening and the loss of comfort and support that goes with it usually results in the need to replace the mattress much too quickly relative to the price you paid even for those that are in more average weight ranges and this would be an even bigger issue for those that are in higher weight ranges. I would also keep in mind that foam softening and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by mattress warranties (see post #174 here)

As you discovered your Beautyrest mattress with a topper is a very different design with different components and foam layers than the Tempurpedic Rhapsody so it’s not surprising that it feels and sleeps very different for you.

Unfortunately I don’t have any specific suggestions because the first “rule” of mattress shopping (or topper shopping) is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress (or a mattress/topper combination) and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or topper or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress or mattress/topper combination will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While you haven’t provided much in the way of specific “symptoms” you are experiencing … it’s also not really possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty any because there are too many unique unknowns and variables involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of PPP or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

These posts are the “tools” that can help with the analysis, detective work, or trial and error that may be necessary to help you learn your body’s language and “translate” what your body is trying to tell you so you can make the types of changes that have the best chance of reducing or eliminating any “symptoms” you are experiencing.

If the only issue with your mattress is that it’s too firm and you just need some extra softness and pressure relief then a topper can certainly be an effective solution and while once again I don’t have any specific suggestions … there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

Assuming that the quality and durability of a topper is suitable for your body type … the choice between different types of toppers would be more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. There is also more about the pros and cons of memory foam vs latex in post #2 here.

It’s unlikely that you would need an extra 6" of softer materials on top of your current mattress and even with an extra firm mattress it’s unlikely that you would need a topper that was thicker than 3" - 4".

If I was in your shoes I would probably return the Tempurpedic topper for a refund and try to choose a topper that was a better “match” for you in terms of PPP in combination with your current mattress but I would also make sure that your next topper purchase also has a good return/exchange policy just in case it also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for because the only way to know will be based on your personal experience.

Alternatively I would probably sell the mattress and start all over again to purchase a better quality/value mattress.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else has the same criteria or circumstances or would make the same choice.

If you decide to purchase a new mattress then the first place to start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones (such as the major brands).

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or approximate another one in post #9 here but your current mattress has such a different design from the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Luxe in terms of its materials and components that it’s very unlikely that you would be able to “approximate it” just by adding a topper or toppers.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply.

I’m returning the Tempur topper, and selling the Beautyrest on craigslist.

I’d like to order another bed this week that would be similar to the Rhapsody Luxe, maybe just a tiny bit firmer. I’m thinking either the Ultimate Dreams Aria 12" Gel Memory Foam in Medium Firm (same as the Luxe… also close in thickness) or maybe the Eurotop Latex (not sure what # or firmness.) I do have some concerns about the Eurotop’s top layer with the 1.5" Hyper Reflex Foam-- worried that it may sag a bit. I guess sagging, and “hammocking” are my big concerns as an overweight stomach sleeper.

Any suggestions? I saw in the other recent thread how difficult it would be to replicate a Tempurpedic, but do you have any ballpark suggestions? Am I off to a good start at least?

Thanks again for the help.

Hi handsoap,

I’m not sure if there is much I can add to my previous replies including post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can "match another one and post #2 here about the different ways to buy a mattress (either online or locally).

If you are trying to “match” the feel and firmness of another mattress you would either need to test a local mattress in person so that you can assess whether a mattress is a reasonable “match” for the Rhapsody Luxe based on your own personal experience, go by the online description of a reliable manufacturer or retailer that indicates in their description that one of their mattress is a reasonable approximation for the Rhapsody Luxe, or talk with an online manufacturer or retailer on the phone that sells memory foam mattresses so that they can tell you which of their mattresses is a reasonable approximation of the Tempurpedic Rhapsody (if any).

Several of the retailers and manufacturers in the memory foam list that is linked in the tutorial make memory foam mattresses that are designed to approximate some of the Tempurpedic mattresses (including the Rhapsody) that would be well worth talking to.

Even if a mattress has a similar firmness and “feel” to the Rhapsody Luxe though … with your higher weight I would also make sure that the density of the materials in the mattress is suitable for your weight range because a mattress that “feels like” the Rhapsody but uses lower quality/density and less durable materials won’t maintain it’s comfort and support or “feel” for as long as the Rhapsody or other mattresses that use the same quality/density materials.

The foam quality/density guidelines that I would suggest are in post #4 here and there is also some information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that should be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges. Higher weight ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than the minimums in the guidelines because the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much.

While Dreamfoam has said that the Aria has a similar firmness level to the Tempurpedic Luxe and it’s certainly great “value” … I would also be aware that it uses 4" of 4 lb memory foam and a 1.8 lb base layer. These would certainly be suitable in terms of density and durability for more average weight ranges but they would also be lower density and less durable than the memory foam and base layers in the Rhapsody and would be a lower density than I would normally suggest for someone in your weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) where I would look for 2 lb polyfoam in the base layers and I would reduce or minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam in the comfort layers.

The Eurotop mattress is a completely different mattress and latex is a very different material than memory foam so it would be more of an apples to oranges comparison. There is more about how latex compares to memory foam in post #2 here. It certainly uses high quality materials that would be durable enough for your weight range (blended Talalay latex and a 2 lb base layer) but it won’t feel anything like a memory foam mattress. It also has the advantage of being able to exchange the latex layer for a firmer or softer layer for a nominal cost (see here) if your original choice is either firmer or softer than you prefer.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP (or is a reasonable approximation of another mattress) … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Do you have any recommendations on a memory foam bed that uses higher density materials that would be more suitable for someone in my weight range (250lbs)?

Hi handsoap,

While I do recommend the members here “as a group” because I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial)or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There are also many other sources of good quality/value mattresses across the country as well that aren’t members of the site (at least yet) so the forum lists are only options or possibilities that can help you narrow down your choices avoid some of the worst choices in your area.

Unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball that can predict which specific mattress you will sleep best on with any certainty. It just doesn’t exist.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

If you are also considering online choice then the tutorial also includes a link to some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step).

As I mentioned in my previous reply … I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress relative to your weight that you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else has the same criteria or circumstances or would make the same choice.

Phoenix

I’m not looking for “the” mattress, but rather a list of mattresses that would meet the following requirements:

• Available online with good return policy
  • Memory foam 12" or more in thickness
  • strong / durable support layers
  • Medium Firm to Firm
  • & high density layers suitable for heavy person

The Aria from Chuck looked like a good option for this is except, per your observations, did not meet the last requirement of high density layers for a heavy person. Are you aware of any mattresses online that would meet all of these requirements?

Next weekend I will be in LA. Any recommendations there for local places? I’d like to keep the budget under $900 out the door, and I’d have to be compressed so I could fit it in a station wagon.

Hi handsoap,

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Los Angeles region (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my previous reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Again … I can certainly help you do some of the narrowing down and help with “how” to choose but you will need to to do the additional research that will be necessary to decide on which retailers/manufacturers or mattresses carry mattresses that you are interested in considering after that.

Phoenix

I think I’m going to buy the Sleep Science Escape. It’s 14.5" thick and has great support layers. Plus, I can get it from Costco, so if I don’t like it, they have hassle free returns.

“The Escape is constructed with 2 layers of luxurious, premium visco memory foam. The top ultra-comfort layer is 2 inches of 7 lb density visco memory foam, which is the highest density visco foam available on the market today. It is followed by a 3 inch support layer of premium 5lb visco memory foam.”

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: costco.com/Escape-14.5"-Luxury-Memory-Foam-Queen-Mattress.product.100006212.html#BVRRWidgetID

Most of the other mattresses that I’m seeing do not have densities that high.

Hi handsoap,

You can see my thoughts about buying from Costco in post #4 here.

You can also see some comments about Sleep Science and the Escape in post #2 here and a forum search on Sleep Science Escape (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about it as well (you can ignore the comments about not being CertiPUR certified since Southbay International which is the parent company of Sleep Science has been CertiPUR certified since the posts were written).

If you are comfortable with the additional uncertainty that goes with buying a mattress that is shipped compressed from China (see post#6 here and which may also account for some of the comments in the lower rated reviews about the mattress sagging) then if the mattress turns out to be a good match for you in terms of PPP (which of course you will find out once you sleep on it) then it is certainly a good quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

In looking at some other HD mattresses, I’ve found the “Select Foam Conform Regalis Luxe.” Some stats:
“1.5” 7lb Soy SELECT-HD™ Memory Foam for unmatched pressure relief
2.5" 5lb Soy SELECT™ Gel Foam Support Layer for “hands against your back” support" - See more at: http://www.selectfoam.com/cat-regalis-luxe-coolmax.html#sthash.A5AoXfSP.dpuf

Do you think this would be a better bed in terms of durability and reputation? I remember reading some mixed things about Select Foam (if I’m remembering correctly) but can’t seem to find anything.

Hi handsoap,

The density of the base layer in the Select Foam mattresses are probably higher (Sleep Science doesn’t list the density of their base layer) but the base layers aren’t usually the weakest link of a mattress so outside of any uncertainty that is due to the compressed shipping they use similar quality/density memory foams so “in theory” they would be closely comparable in terms of durability with a possible slight advantage to Select Foam.

The comments you are probably referring to about Select Foam are probably the link to a caution about them that is included in the comments in the online memory foam list here which talks about some of the customer service issues that some of the members here have experienced with them. NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thanks again for your help. I feel like I’m narrowing it down to some good choices, but could still use a little help fact checking regarding which type of mattress is best for overweight stomach sleepers.

My concern is always “hammocking,” especially with memory foam. While the Rhapsody that I traded in gave me the best sleep, I was concerned that I hammocked a bit too much when on my stomach (which is my primary sleeping position.) Hence, the reason for my initial trade in. However, while waiting for the trade in, I switched over to mostly sleeping on my back, and had little problems.

So, I still have my initial concerns regarding hammocking. While spending a lot of time in the stores, it was remarked to me that the Contour Supreme would perhaps be a better option than the Rhapsody Luxe (or the bed inbetween these two in firmness.) I was told numerous times to go as firm as I could since I’m an overweight stomach sleeper. Neither of the firmer beds felt as comfortable as the Rhapsody Luxe, hence my decision to buy it instead of the others.

When looking at some of the Select Foam mattresses, I’m faced with the same predicament. I know that I sleep incredibly well on the Rhapsody Luxe, however, I’m worried about long term issues due to hammocking. Would it make sense to go with the firmer version that they have? Would I potentially be giving up comfort in lieu of what may be better for my overall health?

Hi handsoap,

There is no such thing as a specific mattress that is “best for stomach sleepers” … only a mattress that is “best for you”. Some stomach sleepers will do very well on a mattress that would be completely unsuitable for other stomach sleepers to sleep on.

If you are “hammocking” too much your body will tell you by producing “symptoms” … generally lower back pain or discomfort in the morning.

While it’s impossible to know whether any mattress will be a good match for someone else based on specs or “theory at a distance” … in very general terms stomach sleepers will tend to do best on a mattress that has a support core that is “firm enough” for their body type and comfort layers that are “just enough” in terms of softness and thickness to provide good pressure relief in your more pressure prone sleeping positions but no more than this so that there is less risk of sleeping in a swayback position when you are sleeping on your stomach.

As long as a mattress isn’t too firm for you to sleep comfortably and without pressure points … then erring on the side of firmer would be a little bit less risky for a stomach sleeper than erring on the side of softer.

If you end up choosing a mattress that is too firm then you can always add some additional “comfort” and pressure relief with a topper but it’s much more difficult to “firm up” a mattress that is too soft for you without removing and replacing a support core that is too soft or comfort layers that are too thick/soft.

Phoenix

Okay, so here are the beds I’ve narrowed it down to:

Select Foam Regalis
http://www.selectfoam.com/cat-regalis-luxe-coolmax.html
Pros: excellent layers, high density
Cons: might be too soft & cause hammocking. no real way to know…
Thoughts: Right now, this seems like the #1 bed for me, but I’m still worried about hammocking.

Select Form Conform - SELECT–Conform Supreme 12"
http://www.selectfoam.com/cat-conform-supreme-12.html
Pros: Firmer, less expensive.
Cons: may be too firm, lower density, less layers
Thoughts: I could add a topper if this was too firm. This appears to be the safest bet

Ultimate Dreams Eurtop Latex. I would choose one on the firmer end.
https://www.dreamfoambedding.com/product/ultimate-dreams-eurotop-latex-mattress/
Pros: Comfort Layer is exchangeable, Price, great reputation. Least expensive option.
Cons: unknown support layer density, I’ve never tested latex.
Thoughts: This again feels like a safe option. I could get a firmer option here and test it out and either add a memory foam topper that is slightly softer, or exchange the top layer.

[strike]Sleep Science Escape 14.5"
http://www.costco.com/Escape-14.5"-Luxury-Memory-Foam-Queen-Mattress.product.100006212.html
Pros: very thick, strong support layers, excellent return policy
Cons: while this is a medium firm, I’m concerned about the “very plush top.” This could surely lead to hammocking. Materials may not be as dense as listed, and compression all the way from China could hurt durability. Price is higher than other beds.
Thoughts: My biggest enticement here is the HD materials and the option to return. I live very close to a Costco should any problems arise.
[/strike]
The problem is… I can’t test any of these.

Is there a way to generalize a “safest bet” amongst these for an overweight stomach sleeper? I understand there is no “one best mattress,” however I feel given the transparency about these materials, we should be able to narrow one that may be better.

Could we rank these? From “safest” to least “least safest” approximations?

EDIT: I think the Sleep Science from Costco may be a poor choice. While the return policy is great, some of the more long term reviews (~8 months of having it) say that huge dips appear.

EDIT #2: http://www.selectfoam.com/conform-elite.html
Here’s another bed, I missed… the Conform Elite.
The conform elite also seems to have some great layers, and I like that the 7lb density top layer is only 1." This seems to lend itself well to the firm, but not too firm category. However, only 2" of 5.4lb underneath may not be enough for my weight.

Hi handsoap,

[quote]Select Foam Regalis
www.selectfoam.com/cat-regalis-luxe-coolmax.html
Pros: excellent layers, high density
Cons: might be too soft & cause hammocking. no real way to know…
Thoughts: Right now, this seems like the #1 bed for me, but I’m still worried about hammocking.

Select Form Conform - SELECT–Conform Supreme 12"
www.selectfoam.com/cat-conform-supreme-12.html
Pros: Firmer, less expensive.
Cons: may be too firm, lower density, less layers
Thoughts: I could add a topper if this was too firm. This appears to be the safest bet

EDIT #2: http://www.selectfoam.com/conform-elite.html
Here’s another bed, I missed… the Conform Elite.
The conform elite also seems to have some great layers, and I like that the 7lb density top layer is only 1." This seems to lend itself well to the firm, but not too firm category. However, only 2" of 5.4lb underneath may not be enough for my weight.[/quote]

The Regalis is comparable to the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Luxe Breeze and the Conform Supreme is comparable to the Tempurpedic Contour Supreme (ADDED: and the Conform Elite is comparable to the Tempurpedic Contour Elite) so you could test [strike]both[/strike] all three of the Tempurpedic mattresses locally to help you decide which one would have the best chance of success.

I would also keep in mind that one of the challenges of buying a firmer mattress and then adding a topper when you can’t test the mattress/topper combination in person is that choosing a suitable topper that is a good combination for you and the mattress you are using it on (different mattresses will affect the choice of topper that works best for a particular person) that can be almost as challenging as choosing a mattress that doesn’t need a topper in the first place because the only way to know whether the combination will be a good “match” for you will be based on your own personal experience (see post #2 here).

[strike]Both[/strike] All three of these mattresses would be closely comparable in terms of durability (although not in terms of firmness or “feel”) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in [strike]either one[/strike] any of them that would compromise the durability of [strike]either one[/strike] any one of them relative to your weight range.

[quote]Ultimate Dreams Eurtop Latex. I would choose one on the firmer end.
www.dreamfoambedding.com/product/ultimat...otop-latex-mattress/
Pros: Comfort Layer is exchangeable, Price, great reputation
Cons: unknown support layer density, I’ve never tested latex.
Thoughts: This again feels like a safe option. I could get a firmer option here and test it out and either add a memory foam topper that is slightly softer, or exchange the top layer. [/quote]

The density of the support core in the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop latex is listed on their site. 2.0 lb polyfoam which along with the latex comfort layers are high quality materials that would certainly be suitable for your weight range in terms of durability.

There is also more about the differences between latex and memory foam in post #2 here but the most reliable way to know which type of material or mattresses you tend to prefer in general would be based on your own local testing.

[quote]Sleep Science Escape 14.5"
www.costco.com/Escape-14.5"-Luxury-Mem...oduct.100006212.html
Pros: very thick, strong support layers, excellent return policy
Cons: while this is a medium firm, I’m concerned about the “very plush top.” This could surely lead to hammocking. Materials may not be as dense as listed, and compression all the way from China could hurt durability
Thoughts: My biggest enticement here is the HD materials and the option to return. I live very close to a Costco should any problems arise. [/quote]

My comments about this option are in my previous reply.

My comments about buying a mattress that you can’t test in person (or where you can’t test a comparable “facsimile”) are also in my previous replies.

[quote]Is there a way to generalize a “safest bet” amongst these for an overweight stomach sleeper? I understand there is no “one best mattress,” however I feel given the transparency about these materials, we should be able to narrow one that may be better.

Could we rank these? From “safest” to least “least safest” approximations? [/quote]

While it’s certainly possible to assess a mattress in terms of durability based on the type and quality/density of the materials inside it … the quality/density of a material has nothing to do with it’s firmness or “feel” or whether it would be a good match for you in terms of PPP … only how long it is likely to maintain it’s original properties without the materials softening or breaking down. Again … the only way to know with any certainty whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP and the “risk” involved in purchasing it will be based on your own careful testing or your personal experience. This is why the knowledge, experience, and guidance of an online retailer or manufacturer and their return/exchange policy can be a much more important part of the “value” of an online mattress purchase.

You are certainly looking at some good quality/value choices but once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

I’m working with Matt right now from Select Foam. He’s one of the owners and thinks that their version of the Rhapsody would be a great option.

If I order it, I’ll provide a “first week” review here, as well as a more detailed review after having owned it for 6-12 months (provided that I keep it and it’s a good match)

Thanks again for all the help.

Hi handsoap,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about your experience with Select foam and your new mattress once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix