King Koil Extended Life Mattressess

We live in St Louis and have been doing quite a bit of research on this site and a couple of others Our previous mattress failed within a few years and we are interested in finding a new quality mattress. We went to STL beds and tried out some of their mattresses. While we like the natural latex Savvy Rest mattress, we really do not want to spend $6,000. The owner then directed us to their Extended Life (XL) King Koil mattresses which they marked to heavy people. We thought the 150 was too stiff, even with a 3" Talalaly blend topper. We liked the 550 but thought it was too expensive at close to $4,000. The 250 was soft enough with the 3" topper and the cost would be somewhere around $3,000 with foundation.
Our concern is that based on the specs, there is a significant amount of HD foam in this mattress and I was concerned about that at the price point… What are your thoughts on this line? We considered a one - sided 250 XL mattress with the 3" topper. I am 180 lbs and my wife is 115 lbs… We are having a difficult time finding any independent dealers in St Louis and were wondering if you could direct us to any. I also considered the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress on Amazon but was concerned about the longevity and about buying online.
Thanks!

Hi Docduo,

You may already know this but the mattress shopping tutorial here includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell component latex mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including organic Dunlop in some cases) and have many different options, features, designs, and return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering if you are comfortable with an online purchase. I think highly of all of them and several of them make component latex mattresses that are very similar in terms of the materials, components, and design to the Savvy Rest latex mattresses but are in much lower budget ranges. Post #3 here may be helpful as well.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is of course “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) … but this is something that I can’t help with because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and the only way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP is based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience.

Outside of PPP … the most important part of the value of a mattress is it’s durability and durability depends on its construction and the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. If you can find out the information listed here about any mattress you are considering and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole and help you identify any potential weak links in the mattress that could have an effect on durability and the useful life of the mattress. Without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of any mattress. In very general terms the King Koil Extended Life mattresses do tend to use higher quality/density and more durable materials (including 2 lb memory foam I believe) than most other King Koil mattresses but I would never buy any mattress if I didn’t know the specifics of the quality and durability of all the materials and components inside it.

The last part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how a mattress compares to the other options you are considering based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the St Louis area (subject to making sure that any specific mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #6 here and this topic may be helpful as well.

[quote] I also considered the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress on Amazon but was concerned about the longevity and about buying online.
Thanks! [/quote]

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress

The tutorial post also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (including Dreamfoam) in the optional online step but the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop uses 3" of Talalay latex in the comfort layer on top of an 8" 2 lb density polyfoam support core which are both high quality and durable materials so there are no lower quality materials or weak links in this mattress that would affect the durability or useful life of the mattress.

If you do decide to purchase a mattress from Dreamfoam then if you purchase directly from the Dreamfoam site vs Amazon they have a longer 45 day trial period and they also have an additional 10% discount vs Amazon prices in addition to the pillow bonus that they offer to the members of this site.

Phoenix

I have carried the King Koil Extended Life line products for quite some time, although from a different licensee than your retailer in St. Louis. I can offer some objective data for you on those products here.

Overall, these mattresses do use higher quality foams and an extremely durable innerspring unit. It is popular for my clients to combine them with latex toppers. I’m happy to objectively answer your questions on these beds in order to assist you in your mattress buying process.

Good luck in your search!
-Jeff