Latex Hybrid Mattress purchase, so many options

Hi. I want to buy a latex hybrid bed, the top needs to not have those buttons for tufting on it. I’d prefer a bed shipped flat, it seems they all come in a box, or most at least. I am 5’ and about 110 lbs. I don’t really need zoned areas, I’m tiny. I am a combo sleeper. I’m at the research point where I just want someone to make the decision for me! I’ve looked through your trusted sellers and they all look great. I’m unsure how to proceed from here and actually make the choice. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Idael,
Happy Holidays.
I was hoping one of our expert manufacturers would respond to your search for a non-tufted latex hybrid. I moved the question to “talk to the experts” for that reason. I will start the conversation and hopefully, one of our trusted manufacturers can chime in.

It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

This is a quote from @phoenix’s text from the past and still reigns as true today.

There are many factors that go into choosing the mattress that is matched to your body profile and comfort. That comes in a range of prices and build combinations.

For example, trusted member @FLEXUS_COMFORT Flexus Comfort offers this mattress @Flexus Comfort Hybrid. Cosmetically and structurally, it satisfies your basic requirement at a very accessible price.

Trusted member #@cleanbedroom offers a nice naturepedic that combines coils and latex without tufting at a more midrange price.

Both of these examples offer the option for a split feel comfort layer.

Even if you would like to go BinB the Ecosleep satisfies your very general requirement, although they are not a member of TMU, they are transparent about their materials.

I only used these as examples as they were top of my mind and they meet some your requested cosmetic criteria.

As you have recognized in your search thus far, there are a lot of options and locations to choose from. It is import to know what I call the 3 R’s. Return, Refund and Restocking policies. These are things that should be researched before handing your credit card over. I would even try to get it in an email format if possible. Now that does not mean that a retailer that does not offer a complete refund if not satisfied and only an exchange, is a bad retailer. Many of the trusted members here at TMU when involved with the sleeper and their choosing a mattress, can often direct them to the best educated choice for their PPP’s. Even if it is on paper only. They have been around long enough to get that right. I believe that is possible. I did it that way myself.

Ultimately, the only true test is to sleep on the chosen mattress for a good month or so to allow the mattress to break in and your body to adjust to the new mattress. It truly is a personal thing.

Just look for the signs when searching out there. One of practical approaches I like to use is this “When you cannot see, or they don’t or won’t tell you what the materials, foams, and content of the mattress is made with, that is when you start looking for it”

BTW, is there some specific reason you prefer a non compressed mattress and it must be shipped in a full sized box?

I wish you luck in your search.

Happy Holidays,
Norm

I would like to help you but we roll and compress all of our out of state shipments. Unless you are in the Phoenix area where you could pickup we just can’t accommodate you.

1 Like

Thanks Norm. You’ve given me some details and retailer to think about. As for the shipped in a box, just seems like crunching up coils could break down the integrity of the mattress. I see that everyone does it though so I guess it really isn’t that bad and I’m just not used to it.

1 Like

Thank you. My first preference would be a non-compressed mattress, it seems like that’s the way most companies are doing it these days so I have to be open to it.

1 Like

Idael,

I know it sounds odd, but the reality is, they really do call them compression springs for a reason. Any mattress can come up with a defect, be it traditional or BinB. But these machines, particularly the ones used by our trusted members and quality BinB like Brooklyn Bedding, are designed to compress, fold, roll and box without harming the mattress materials, springs and foams. Naturally, if a mattress has springs with a border rod, compression is not an option.

When the mattress is made to order, compressed and shipped, and you open it within a week, you should not experience any negative effects whatsoever.

We could look at this from a variety of perspectives. But I would rather have my mattress made with quality springs, foams and materials, then compressed, put in a box and arrive at my front door in a week, than deal with an S brand or whomever, dont mean to pick on anyone here, that uses questionably sourced materials. Materials that are inferior, foams that are low quality, and a manufacturer that wont tell you what their material specs actual are.

A compression spring, when compressed to a “solid” meaning compressed all the way down, actually becomes stronger, than never have been compressed fully. Having said that, a compression spring that has been compressed for a very long extended amount of time, will fatigue and become weaker. So there is a line that is drawn with compression springs.

If you were to look at a lot of the individual reviews on mattresses out there on the web, people who are offering their own review, not filtered on corporate web sites, you will see the amount of complains that stem from the legacy brands, that we all knew and trusted for a generation or more. Not so much these days.

I am just saying that good quality is good quality. If it is done right, you have nothing to fear.

Many of these manufactures, when they receive their shipment of spring support layers (the ones that do not make their own springs) when they receive them from the manufacturer, guess what, they come compressed. In today’s world it is all about saving money, whether it be on shipping, manufacturing, labor, you name it. The big giants in the industry have a vested interest in cost cutting. The little guys, they have a vested interest in quality, if not, they are out of the game, as they are only as good as the product they provide, whereas the big retailer out there that has been around for 100 years, look to their perceived reputation to keep them in the game. It’s not that “everyone” does it. It is who does it right!

Just like Sears, Kmart, Lord and Taylor. Oh, right, they are all out of business. So much for the company that invented buying “on line” or should I say the catalog.
I will give Sears a bit of credit, they are trying to make a comeback. It just isnt the same company though. Just a little food for thought.

Happy Holidays and be well.
Norm

Hi Idael, As Norm mentioned, if the mattress is not compressed for a long period (i.e. sitting in a warehouse) if the quality of the coils is high, it should be fine. Naturepedic has been doing that for years - they make them to order, so it minimizes greatly the amount of time they spend in the box. There’s a good sale going on now. Our staff can help you choose, if needed.

1 Like

Thanks again Norm for all the detail and though that went into your response. I’m ready to buy a compressed mattress, now it’s just a matter of finding the right one and that will take a little more research. I’m convinced!

1 Like

Nothing to be afraid of! You just want to be certain you know the layers of your mattress and how it coincides with your PPP’s. You will do just fine. My BinB went through 3 stages. First night, not fully expanded and almost as firm as it should be, 2nd night, fully expanded, third night, fully expanded and the exact height and firmness level it was intended to be. A year later, it is still all good!

It works, just as TCB said, it is all about the quality.

Thanks. I’ll read some more from the website and then try to narrow it down. That’s really the problem I’m having is narrowing down the retailers. If I could only choose from 2 or 3 that might make life easier. They’ve proven that more options makes it much harder for anyone to make a choice. HA. Totally true for me!

1 Like

Yes, the more options they offer, the more confusing it can be. Take your time, narrow it down by your preferences. Remember your PPP’s and my rules for the 3 R’s, refunds, restocking and return options. If you are not happy with their 3R’s, you may pass on a great mattress, but you also may question your order and make yourself a nervous wreck.
Remember, this is not a race, no matter how much your need for a new mattress is. Narrow your mattress preferred “feel” down and compare a few that peak your interest and view them side by side on your pc screen to evaluate all the layers.
A mattress will only be as good as its weakest layer. If something is not quite right for you, move on. As you recognized, there are plenty of choices out there.

1 Like

Thank you, The Clean Bedroom, I will look at your website. With so many to choose from I just get overwhelmed trying to find the one that will be right for me.

Norm, are you part of Mattress Underground? I have a few questions and wonder if you or someone else can help me.

1 Like

yes, I am, how can i help

So, I have some OCD and other special needs and am having some trouble narrowing down the options. I had a latex hybrid bed previously so I know I want another one, I am having problems doing all the research on all the businesses you have as preferred retailers. Is there anyone that can help me just narrow it down to 3 companies, then I think I can make a decision. Otherwise I get caught in the OCD loop spending hours just looking at all the options and not really narrowing it down. Open to any thoughts. And thank you!

1 Like

Hi Idael,
It is very difficult to narrow down someone else’s potential comfort choices. I just had a similar conversation on another thread.

Latex/Hybrid Conversation
As you may note on this conversation, I offered some suggestions based on this member’s recollection of the Avocado Mattress, but the Avocado was not quite right.

I am happy to see you are open to a made to order, compressed, rolled and boxed, ready for quick expansion when received in your home.

From your own research, were there any specific mattresses that seemed to rise above the rest?

At 5’ 110, you still need a mattress that offers excellent support. Your lighter weight does not preclude you from needed great support. As a combo sleeper, you might find your happy compromise in a medium feel mattress. But that is speculation on my part as you know better than anyone, what your sweet spot is when it comes to the firmness level you are comfortable.

Is there a budget that I missed somewhere in the thread?

Tell me more!
Norm

You have offered me great info and suggestions so far Norm. I just get so caught up in reading everything. I have about 15 tabs open right now of different companies that make these mattresses.

I have already ruled out Avocado and Saatva, which were my first choices when I was looking through ‘conventional’ latex hybrids. Now I’m looking at the companies from your site. No one mattress so far has stood out more then another. I know I do not want a wool cover on the mattress, it must be cotton. Wool underneath that is fine.
It should be between 11-13 inches. I think my last latex was medium, I thought it was just a bit too soft, if my options are medium or firm though I’d probably go with medium again.

Budget, I think about $1500 seems reasonable, give or take.
I would like handles on the mattress.

What else? I realize no one can make a final decision for me, I just struggle to make sense of it all from 15 different websites! They all look good.

OH, and haha, I just read the thread you linked in here and found more mattresses to explore! Cool.

1 Like

I am glad you are eliminating and consolidating some ideas. As you peruse some of the different options you will start to narrow even more. Now that you are open to compressed options, folks like @Arizona_Premium can chime back in.

Keep up the search, you do know what you are doing. Knowing what you dont like is half the battle.

1 Like

Narrowing it down still. I want Dunlop, not Talalay. I want a cotton cover. I don’t want zoned coils. I’ve ruled out quite a few from the Trusted Members with these criteria. I think I’m down to 4 companies that I need to explore more and see if they meet my criteria. Moving along…