Latex Mattress in Canada

It seems interestingā€¦ What are the prices of your mattress? I canā€™t find them on your website.

Hi John667,

For some reasons the carts donā€™t show up on some browsers for the old version of our website. Our new website will be published in a few weeks however let me give you first access to it by using the link below with the password provided. You will be able to see all our mattress models and the prices. As stated before, I can also make a custom model for you if you supply me with your specifications.

pass: kleuck

Please let me know if I can assist you further,

All the best!

Thanks. How easy is it to replace or move around the layers? 4 layers is cool, but somehow it seems a bit more difficult than simply to turn around a mattress because one side is softer than the other.

What is the difference between Presto and Unison. Do theyboth have 4 layers and if so what is difference in comfort? Thanks

Hi John667,

One person can easily re-arrange the layers in the customizable organic Presto up to a Queen size. The king size requires 2 people to move the layers around (unless you get a king split.) This allows each sleeper the option to customize their own side of the bed.

The main difference is that the Presto is customizable while the Unison is not. We always recommend the Presto when buying online because you get 9 comfort and support options in one mattress. The Unison come in 8" firm and 10" medium (see attachements)
UNISON 8"
Firm Mattress is great for
Back Sleepers
Side Sleepers
Stomach sleepers
Firm feel, with some softness
UNISON 10"
Medium Mattress is great for
Back Sleepers
Side Sleepers
Happy in the middle cloud like comfort without sacrificing support
Did I answer all your question?

Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!

Mario

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/25775/unison_10

What I like about my actual mattress is the fact that itā€™s the same on both side, so I can keep flipping it every month and itā€™s in good shape.

Letā€™s say I feel comfortable on 2" soft Dunlop. I wouldnā€™t be able to flip it to the other side and get the same feeling. Iā€™m mostly interested in durability as I think most beds are very good for the first year or so.

Hi John667,

Yes, we can make a flippable mattress (with a 2" soft dunlop layer on both sides) in the specs you want, please contact me directly for pricing .

All the Best!

Mario

I wish I could find 5 layers so it could be symmetrical:

e.g.

Layers:

1- soft
2- medium
3- firm
4- medium
5- soft

Iā€™m not sure how good this would be, but it would allow to flip easily.

Hi John667,

Your wish is my command! :cheer:
We can make your flippable mattress either in HR/HD poly-foam or in organic dunlop latex.
I suggest getting a 4" FIRM core and 2" medium and soft layers that will give you a 12" mattress.
As for the cover you can choose from wool quilted 100% organic coton, or the more economical Tencel fiber

All the Best!

Mario

Thanks!

Hi John667,

I wish I stepped in earlier, but now one month later, did you have success in finding the perfect, versatile mattress?
I know how over whelming it can be, especially since there are limited retail options in your area. Dormio has been selling latex mattresses for the last 9 years both locally and across Canada. We have gone as far west as B.C. and as far east as Nova Scotia and are successful in recommending the perfect mattress based on individual needs.
Many of our mattresses are made with multiple layers of latex, in different densities and zipped up inside an Organic cotton cover. Both of these features offer complete control in the over all support and feel of the mattress, which can be altered at any point in time.
Dormio has prices online for both the Legacy and Classic Collection, and would be happy to provide you with some of the other price points should your budget allow.
Please donā€™t hesitate to contact us for further information, we would be happy to simplify the experience for you.

Kind Regards!

Thanksā€¦ Still looking. I wish I were able to test one of your beds. Would be great if you got a store in Quebec some day.

The breadth of knowledge and information on this site is incredible - thank you so much, unbelievable. Itā€™s a tough tough market to figure out.

I too am about to bite the bullet on a latex mattress, really appreciate this thread, and so many others. Iā€™ll be reading for a while me thinks :))

Hi there

I am new here sorry to bug this thread but can someone tell me how do I create a new thread?

Cheers
Christoff

Hi Christopfff.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Post #1 here outlines options for getting assistance. You can start a new topic any time in our expert members forums. Additionally, you can also append (as you did) your comment/question to an existing topic that closely matches your topic of interest.

Phoenix

Hi John667,

Did you know that you do not have to try a Dormio mattress to know how it feels? The major advantage of shopping for an organic dunlop latex mattresses is that you can find a local store that sells organic dunlop latex, try it there and then compare with what other manufacturers are selling online.

Letā€™s take your case for example. If you live in Quebec, you can go to any Matelas Bonheur location, and try the Grensleep mattresses. They are made of GOLS certified organic dunlop latex and are covered with organic cotton and wool. Try the different models they offer and find the one you like. At that points itā€™s quite simple to ask the salesman how the mattress is made. He will tell you the thicknesses of each individual layer inside the mattress and their ILD number (firmness).

With this information in hand, you can go online and do some comparative shopping. You may decide to buy the mattress you tried in the store, or one that youā€™ve found online thatā€™s made using the same components. If you canā€™t find what youā€™re looking for, most manufacturers will be happy to put a mattress together according to your specification. In the end, both the mattress you tried in store and the one you bought online will feel quite similar, since they are both made with the same components.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, thatā€™s a great idea! I wonder if they have those beds in every store, but Iā€™ll check.

Hi John667,

We hope to expand one day!
As mentioned by MFC Memory Foam Comfort (by the way great idea), once you get a feel for latex in general, the online plunge is not as scary. Which ever you decide, you will not be disappointed.
Keep us posted on your journey.

Best of luck!

I went to Matelas Bonheur and did try Greensleep mattresses and they felt wonderful. I really liked those two (from top to bottom) :

A)

S 2"
M 3"
M 3"

and

B)

S 2"
S 2"
M 3"
F 3"

Very expensive, but it looks like quality. Not sure which one I prefer, as I lay down a lot on the bed to read or use computer, so I like some firmness, but I also sleep on the side so it must be soft. I like the idea that the second one has a firm layer, but itā€™s much more expensive.

The seller made some affirmations that Iā€™d like to verify.

He said that latex mattresses only lose about 1% support per year, so even after 15 years you only lose 15%. He says he has have a Greensleep for 12 years and itā€™s going strong and that such mattresses can last easily 15-20 years without any problem. I really have trouble believing this, as you donā€™t flip the mattress and 20 years on the same spot seems like a lot. He said that in Europe people donā€™t buy as many mattresses as here and sometimes the mattresses come with the house and can last 20 years without any problem. Do you believe this? If I buy a latex mattress, will it really last 20 years? Seems hard to believe!

He also told me to beware of other latex mattresses as sometimes they arenā€™t ā€œpureā€ latex. He told me Greensleep is 97% pure latex (the remaining 3% if to deal with the fact that latex coagulated on the trip from Malaysia to North America) but sometimes there are companies that advertise latex and itā€™s not that pure and with lot of cheaper chemicals involved. True or false?

Greensheep is Dunlop and not Talaylayā€¦ What difference does it make at this point? He wasnā€™t able to tell.

Last thingā€¦ The King Size was about $3800 and the split king was like 5500$. The guy told me he simply cut his layers in half and bought independant double XL covers and made his own split king. I wonder if Iā€™d have the balls to do this but it looks like a good way to save some money.

Hi John667,

Iā€™m happy you went to try out an organic dunlop latex mattress!

Yes, you can easily get 20 years + out of a dunlop latex mattress. Thatā€™s why most manufacturers feel confident enough to give you a 25 year warranty. Here is a video of a 50 year old dunlop latex mattress and as you can see on the video itā€™s still in good condition.

The whole story about ā€œnatural latexā€ is quite confusing, but it mostly applies to Talalay latex more here on the subject. In our experience all the organic dunlop latex is at least 95% rubber and the other ingredients include:
1-Organic Latex Rubber 90-95%
2-Zinc Oxide 2-3%
3-Fatty Acid Soaps 1-2%
4-Sulfur 1-2%
5-Sodium 1-2%

Please see this article on the proā€™s and conā€™s of dunlop and talalay latex

[quote]
Last thingā€¦ The King Size was about $3800 and the split king was like 5500$. The guy told me he simply cut his layers in half and bought independant double XL covers and made his own split king. I wonder if Iā€™d have the balls to do this but it looks like a good way to save some money.
[/quote] Yes, you could simply cut the layers yourself. The organic cotton sleeves are an option and not necessary in our opinion, as the latex is already well covered my the actual wool quilted organic cotton cover and do not to be covered a second time.
We can easily make you a KING split with a brass top zip wool quilted organic cotton cover with these specs
S 2"
S 2"
M 3"
F 4"
For 2995$ taxes and delivery included. This is our Presto mattress, and the latex layers are loose (like the greensleep) so that you can fine tune your comfort and support options.

All the Best!

Mario

Thanks Mario. This video of a 50 year old latex mattress is something to watch, indeed, but what about loss of support over the years? Wouldnā€™t sleeping at the exact same spot night after night (and itā€™s worse for a side sleeper because of the pressure points) would make it too soft without good enough support even if the mattress is still looking not that bad? How much % of support would such a mattress lose after, letā€™s say, 10 to 15 years?

Yeah I think the cotton is not necessary, but from what the guy told me it helps because there shouldnā€™t be too much humidity on latex.

BTW, do you offer some warranty or something? Do you have a physical address? Price looks better than GreenSleep at Matelas Bonheur, but what if something goes wrong with the wool cover in 5 years. Would I be able to buy such a cover anywhere else?

BTW, do you know the ILD difference between your Presto and GreenSleep mattress?

P.S. Do you think 2 X 2" soft layers on top could be a bit too plush if I want the mattress to last and if I need good support (even as a side sleeper)? I also need pressure relief, but I wonder if 4" of soft material wouldnā€™t be too much and create some problems for the back (sleeping like a banana). How to choose the right ILD? Would it be possible, for example with your Presto, to use (from top to bottom): 2" S, 2" M, 2" M and 4" F, with only one layer of soft and two mediums or is it mandatory to get 2 soft layers and only one medium? I know itā€™s easier to deal with a mattress that is a bit too firm than one that is a bit too softā€¦ Iā€™d like to find a way to know what the correct mix would be for me as I know just laying in the showroom isnā€™t that great a solution.