I am considering the following mattresses, in order of greatest to least consideration:
- GoRest G5 Plus Interchangeable
- Nature’s Embrace Hevean 10 with tencel cover
- MFC Presto with tencel cover
- the cover - it is a stretch organic cotton and is also washable if needed - we do use a mattress protector, but nice to have this option if only to get rid of dust
- I can get the bottom base layer in medium firmness which I think I might need due to me being a lightweight, side sleeper (125#, 5’4") and my husband also being lightweight (150#, 5’11"). He can sleep in any direction and is okay sleeping on any mattress I am happy with as he’s currently on a Thermorest camping pad while I sleep on one of the kids latex mattresses
- is customizing 3 layers enough? or should I be looking at more layers to be able to swap around more?
- swapping a layer is going to cost me at least $300 to get a new layer shipped and ship the “wrong” layer back and hope that I am swapping the correct “wrong” layer
- 25 year warranty BUT to maintain this warranty, “To ensure top performance individual mattress layers must be flipped and rotated every three months.” This just doesn’t sound super enjoyable doing this this often for 3 layers with a king size mattress. The 3 latex mattresses we have in the house now say not to flip (they have wool in their covers so you’d lose that if you flipped and the covers aren’t removable to flip just the latex inside) and they still have warranty without flipping?
- 5 layers - lots of choice, could hopefully choose enough layers to be able to swap around it and get it right without needing to swap a layer?
- the tencel cover looks wimpy and thin and I didn’t want to go with a thicker cover with wool
- more daunting choosing 5 layers to try and hope that what I choose is right
- swapping a layer is likely the same cost as above
- 4 layers - again, lots to swap around to hopefully get the right feel
- the tencel cover has same issues as above as I believe this is made by Nature’s Embrace, again don’t want the thicker one with wool
- no choice in my layers so what I get is what I get
- I don’t need free pillows - which while I know they say free, I am paying for them in the cost of the mattress and less than a year ago we bought 8 new latex pillow for the family
I thought I had decided on the Swiss dream Bed (mattress only), but their sizing is wonky. While I understand that “standard mattress sizing” isn’t actually standard, every king mattress we’ve looked at in the last few years has been 76" x 80". Theirs is 78" x 80" and due to our platform frame which I bought only a year ago so am not looking to replace, they would need to customize the wood portion of their frame but the latex portion would overhang as it’s a pain to cut off just an inch on each of the sides of the split king. So I’d have some overhang, which maybe wouldn’t be noticeable…but if it bugs me, the whole thing is now customized so there is no return/exchange available. So I gave up the dream of the Swiss dream bed.
I briefly considered the Essentia Stratami but this is even more overpriced than other organic latex mattresses and it’s only 8" for a higher cost and doesn’t offer me any configuration if I need to adjust it. I did really like the idea of the shape of their latex top layer though, wish there were more mattresses that offered this sort of option. This mattress was returnable which is a nice option to have, but it’s a fee to return and the mattress already costs more than the other options listed for a shorter mattress, so in the end, the ability to return didn’t end up being a huge selling feature for me.
I am very hesitant right now as last year we tried a “greenwashed” option (the Haven) and while the company was cooperative and we were able to return the mattress in the end, it was a really long, drawn out process that involved 2 mattresses and costly chiro treatments to get myself out of the pain created from the mattress. Thus, I’d like to try and get this one “right”. Yes I have read all the main posts and articles on this site as I’ve been on this site for several years already. Not even sure what my questions really are at this point, I’m overwhelmed and don’t want to deal with exchanging layers or not liking what we purchase. So if anyone has other suggestions based on what you’ve read from me or just want to commiserate in the exhausting search, I am all ears.