Mattress Firm Regret

Oh how I wish I had discovered this website prior to buying a new bed. I usually research everything very thoroughly but I was so excited to get a new bed that I jumped on the first comfortable thing I tried out. I went with Mattress Firm due to convenience of location, set up, and the ability to swap out the mattress if I hate it.

I’m currently around the 90 day mark and I absolutely hate my bed and yearn for my old bed. I ended up with the Seal Posturpedic Chaleigh 12.5". According to their website this is what the innards are made of.

Quilting Layers:
• FlameGuard Fiber
• 2" x 0.5" Sealy ExtraSoft Foam

Comfort Layers:
• 1" Sealy ExtraSoft Foam
• 1.5" Sealy ExtraSoft Foam
• 0.5" SealyCool Gel-Infused Memory Foam Center 1/3

Support System:
• Sealy Embrace Coil
• SolidEdge HD System
• SupportFlex (Sealy UltraFirm Foam)
• StableSupport Foundation

My problem is that I’m having a really hard time articulating why I hate the bed. I went back to Mattress Firm over the weekend and tried out the other bed that I nearly bought and it feels really nice but I’m afraid of ending up with a bed that I hate. I don’t feel like I sink into the bed enough and whatever is right below the plus top just feels too hard to me. The first two weeks of the bed were great but it has been downhill since then. I wake up every morning with low back, hip, and knee pain. The gentleman at the MF store said that he thought the bed was very plush and couldn’t understand why I was having issues. I left after that comment. I was really interested in getting the Saatva but after finding some good feedback via this website I’ve decided to take my search elsewhere.

I have read the tutorial here but find myself getting confused and overwhelmed. I really like a traditional mattress and I hate being hot which is why I have avoided anything latex or memory foam. If I get something with more dense foam does that equal firmer? I’m okay with walking away from Mattress Firm if I can find something better locally.

I’m in the Minneapolis area and I’m checking out the list of factory direct options. I think I’ll start with Original Mattress and Restwell mattress. I’m looking for a Queen and from what I’ve read, I need at least something that is 13" thick as I’m in the 300 pound range. I’m hoping to stay under $1,400 for mattress, foundation, and frame. Think it’s possible?

Hi BorderGirl,

I’m glad you found us now at least and the good news is that Mattress Firm has a 120 day comfort policy that allows you to return the mattress for a refund and start all over again so you can make a better quality/value choice.

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers such as Mattress Firm that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Unfortunately the description you listed doesn’t include any meaningful information about the quality/density and durability of the foam layers in your mattress which would be reason enough to avoid it but even if you were able to find out most of the foam layers would be lower density and less durable materials than I would suggest considering anyway.

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because they can be very complex and there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

Having said that it would be a moot point anyway because even if the mattress was “perfect” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP I would avoid it anyway because of the lower quality materials inside it which will lead to the premature loss of comfort and support and the need to replace the mattress much too quickly.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses.

Also in very general terms … latex is the most breathable and temperature neutral of all the different foam materials (memory foam, polyfoam, and latex foam) and memory foam would tend to be the warmest. The polyfoam (which are the foam layers that are used in the top layers of your mattress) would generally be in between latex and memory foam.

The density of memory foam and polyfoam is the single most important factor in durability but it has little to do with the firmness of the foam because any density of polyfoam or memory foam can be made in a wide range of firmness levels. With latex it’s a little different because density is directly related to the firmness of the foam and lower densities of the same type and blend of latex would be softer than higher densities of the same type and blend of latex.
It’s good to see that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

You may have seen this already but just in case you haven’t … subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you plan to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Minneapolis/St Paul area are listed in post #2 here.

The thickness of a mattress or the number of layers or the thickness of any individual layers inside it is really just a side effect of the design and the design goals of a mattress and the thickness of any individual layers or the complete mattress is also only one of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress relative to any particular person (see post #2 here) and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful (see post #2 here). In some cases higher weight ranges (or a higher BMI) will sometimes do better with a mattress that is thicker than lower weight ranges or a lower BMI (see post #14 here for more about the effect of thickness) but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well your testing or personal experience indicates the mattress “as a whole” matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP than it does on just the thickness itself.

There is more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges or have a higher BMI (30 or higher).

While the process of how to choose a mattress would involve the same steps that are listed in the mattress shopping tutorial … most people in higher weight ranges (or that have a higher BMI) will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than those that are in lower weight ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much). I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density … particularly in the upper layers of the mattress.

You should certainly be able to find a mattress that would be a suitable, durable, and good value choice in your budget range and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course to any other comments or specific questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

In its simplest form choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

You should certainly be able to find a mattress that would be a suitable, durable, and good value choice in your budget range and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course to any other comments or specific questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the reply! I’m still shopping. I went to the Original Mattress Factory in Bloomington, MN. Doug was amazing and very helpful. I thought I found the bed I really liked and then I decided to test out the foam mattress and I loved it even more. I don’t think I’ll be able to come up with the additional $600 to be able to get it. I spent about $1,200 on my current and I believe this one would be $1,700 - $1,800 all in. I’m going back today to test them out again and maybe I can find something with similar specifications through an online retailer.

Do you have a link that has more information on the traditional spring vs the pocketed coils? I really like that the OMF mattresses are flippable which is what I had in my childhood bed and that bed lasted forever. Doug had examples of both types of coils but I really want to make sure I’m prepared with knowledge. I hope to get the inner bits specifics today so I can check on the quality of the materials and go from there to make a decision. Thanks again!

Hi BorderGirl,

While the type of innerspring in a mattress can certainly affect the feel and performance of a mattress … the innerspring isn’t normally the weakest link in a mattress and the durability and useful life of a mattress will depend much more on the quality and durability of the materials or components that are on top of the innerspring (or on both sides in the case of a two sided mattress) than on the innerspring itself. If the innerspring in a mattress is firm enough to keep you in good alignment and a mattress “as a whole” is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) then it’s very unlikely that an innerspring would be an issue in terms of durability.

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

Original Mattress Factory doesn’t make any pocket coil mattresses.

Most of the mattresses that are sold in the industry today are one sided and can’t be flipped (even if you wanted to) but there are still some two sided mattresses that are available (usually made by smaller manufacturers) including some of the mattresses sold at Original Mattress Factory. There is more about the pros and cons of one sided vs two sided mattresses in post #3 here.

Phoenix

Thanks again for all of your help. It’s really coming together now. I went back to OMF yesterday and tried out a latex bed (amazing but too high for budget right now) and the Orthopedic Premier Super Pillow top. It feels great but the quality of the materials is missing the mark. Doug didn’t have great specifics of what each layer was but the foam on the mattress was only 1.5 pound which is lower than what I should probably get. The other problem with each bed I laid on I felt like I could feel the innersprings below the padding. I’m sure the bed would be okay for a while but I worry about how it would be 2-3 years out.

Hi BorderGirl,

I know that OMF has spec sheets that show all the density specs of all the layers in their mattresses but many of their salespeople aren’t used to more educated consumers that ask for “layer by layer” specs so you may need to insist that they look them up or call someone that can provide them.

While 1.5 lb polyfoam would normally be a suitable density for a two sided mattress … I would agree that if there is more than “about an inch or so” of 1.5 lb polyfoam on each side of the mattress that it’s a lower quality/density material than I would consider in your weight/BMI range.

If you can feel the springs when the mattress is new or on a floor model then I would also be cautious because I would agree that this would likely become worse as the padding in your mattress gradually softens and breaks down over time.

Phoenix

They had a little cut out section of the mattress to show what the insides look like. In all honesty, there’s not much there for padding. Just a few inches before the springs. I feel like my current bed has more padding.

I’m about ready to throw my hands in the air and get the Brooklyn Bedding BME and call it a day.

Hi BorderGirl,

You certainly have other options in your general area besides OMF that may be worth a phone call and/or a visit if you wish to test a mattress before a purchase but the Brooklyn Bedding BME would certainly be a great quality/value choice that uses materials that are suitable for your weight/BMI.

While you won’t know for certain whether it’s a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP or how it compares to other mattresses that you’ve tested until you’ve tried it … they also have a great return policy so there would be little risk in trying it outside of the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning it and starting over again should that become necessary.

Phoenix

I haven’t bought the BME because I still have a few concerns about a latex bed. I’m going back and reading through the main BME thread to see if they are addressed. Or I’ll go to my local OMF store and try out their mattress to see if I run into problems.

Are there any known innerspring mattress manufacturers that are known to use higher quality materials for someone of my BMI range? I keep referencing the Minneapolis list and I’m checking the website for material listings to see if I can narrow my search down more without having to visit each store.

Hi BorderGirl,

Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials and while it’s not a complete list … outside of any additional options that may be available to you locally some of the better innerspring/latex options I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here and the post it links to.

Some of the King Koil Extended Life series or the Therapedic Medicoil HD series may also be worth including in your research. Both King Koil here and Therapedic here have retail store locators on their site but you would need to call each one to find out whether they carry these lines.

I would keep in mind that while these may be durable enough choices … the only way to know for certain whether any of them will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience and I would especially be cautious to avoid choosing a mattress that is too soft for you because it could be more risky both in terms of spinal alignment and in terms of durability.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and especially making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local lists that you are considering is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with or visit anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones (if any) that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

Phoenix