Mattress Help

Hi Phoenix,

I currently have a tempurpedic and love it, I had purchased it a while back before I was aware of its toxicity. So I would like to replace it with a non toxic, 100% organic/natural latex king size mattress between $2-4K (can go slightly higher if necessary). I was looking at the Astrabed and thanks to your mattress forum, I will not proceed with the purchase. I live in Hastings on Hudson, NY 10706. Would you be able to suggest any options that I can purchase either online or at a local retailer?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Best,
LHards

Hi LHards,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

If your personal preference is to stay away from visco-elastic memory foam or polyfoam (Tempurpedic doesn’t release the composition of their foams or submit it for various testing certifications such as CertiPUR-US), an all-latex mattress certainly can contain materials that might be more closely aligned with your own personal preferences.

To help clarify and classify things for you, most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here.

There is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here, and there are some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

While it may be more information than you are looking for … there is also a lot more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” or “how natural is natural enough for me” and that can help you confirm the type of materials and components you are most comfortable having in your mattress or on the certifications that may be important to you. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

And since you found the site, and just in case you haven’t read it yet, I would also take a look at the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice when mattress shopping.

If you wish to stay local, the better options I am aware of near you in the New York City metro area, and it is a large list, and subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of are in post #3 here and the links contained therein.

If you are considering an online latex purchase, and there are some very good options, I would use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions along with your feedback from local testing, a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase. These online retailers or manufacturers can also be a good “value reference” for local purchases to make sure that if you are paying a “premium” for a local purchase (in exchange for the kind of “in person” guidance, service, and value that comes with dealing with a local retailer that can help you make more “accurate” choices that you have tested in person) is not too high.

If you visit some local store or come up with other questions as you go through the readings, please let me know.

Phoenix