Mattress selection wizard

Hi cadman777

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your current mattress; you don’t say which mattress it is but the fact you are feeling the Talalay is ‘getting impressions after 2 years’ is a bit concerning as latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress, as you can see in the Mattress Durability Guidelines I am wondering if there are other support or comfort layer components that are prematurely wearing out? Yo should also check what’s going on under the mattress…is the mattress sagging unduly? Is the frame providing good center support? If you have higher BMIs, a soft or extra soft Talalay mattress can wear out faster due to mechanical stress.

The Stearns & Foster Estate Luxe Cassat is a 14.5" hybrid, with a tencel cover of under 2.5" soft gel foam, a comfort layer of firm gel foam and memory foam, and an HD intellicoil support layer. Like many ‘big-brands’ exact details, like density, are missing, as well as the thickness of some components. There is an option to add a Sealy adjustable base. Memory foam and gel foam, if of insufficient density and thickness can wear out prematurely leaving ‘divots’ and ‘ridges’ which can cause aches, pains and misalignment. I would make sure any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grades foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support, and keep in mind the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know while on your mattress search.

In your Other recent Post, you mentioned enjoying the Beducation YT channel… you may want to go to the source, as Jeff at Trusted Member Mattress To Go is extremely knowledgeable and has great experience in helping consumers find great sleep solutions, and they carry a number of adjustable bases, and memory foam hybrids which will be of good density and quality. Also Richmond Bedding carries a number of adjustable bases as does Texas Mattress Makers. You can use many different mattresses with adjustable frames, just be sure to ask what recommended platforms work with that particular mattress to avoid damage, and to make sure you are not voiding any warranty/return policies. Hope this helps in your mattress search!

~ Basilio

Hi Basilio,

Thanx for your reply and for the advice. I find that trying to get information out of any big box store whores is like finding hen’s teeth.

We’re now looking for an adjustable base. So are you saying that those 3 are the only non-mainstream mattress makers who sell adjustable bases?

I was wondering if we can just buy an adjustable base and use it w/our current mattress and them maybe get a new topper? Our current mattress is Pure Talalay Bliss. I can’t find the maker on the label.

Incidentally, after all that we’ve ben through with mattresses, we’re now of the opinion that this is another criminal syndicate, just like car dealerships and used care dealers.

Thanx again for your help!

Hi cadman777,

Not at all! Many retailers offer adjustable bases;
The Leggett & Platt and Reverie brands are very popular and are of good quality…the Trusted Members are manufacturers we have vetted for quality, transparency, great customer service and excellent return and exchange policies, but there are many different adjustable beds on the market, from ‘bare bones’ models to many featured ones. Just remember to always make sure the mattress you will be using on it specifies it’s compatible with an adjustable base, so you don’t damage the mattress or void any warranties or return/exchange policies. You can buy mattresses and adjustable bases together, or from totally different merchants, and a topper from another seller altogether. Since you don’t have a label for your mattress just let the seller of any adjustable base know what type of mattress it is and they should be able to find a suitable base.

~ Basilio

Hi Basilio,
Thanx for the extra info.
I just looked at L&P & Reverie bases and they look good but are a bit on the pricey side of life.
Can you tell me what a decent price for a adjustable Queen is supposed to be?
2 examples:

• L&P Comfort Elite
  • Reverie R450HT
    Also, it looks like my existing mattress will work with one of these bases.
    From what I read, latex mattresses are the best type of mattress for use on adjustable bases.
    Thanx…

Hi cadman777,

The L&P and Reverie adjustable bases are sold online by many different retailers, L&P seems to be in the $1500-$2000 range, but, again it would depend on what features you want. These are reputable brands, so you can just search online for a good price for your selected adjustable base model. There is unfortunately no way to determine a ‘decent price’ as so much depends on the model you want, shipping, what sort of warranties are offered, if they are backordered or can shipped immediately, etc., etc.

Both latex and foam mattresses are able to be used with adjustable beds - again, check with the manufacturer for recommended platforms
Beforehand and you will know which adjustable bases are compatible with the mattress and not void any warranty or exchange

~ Basilio

Thanx Basilio for the added info.

I looked at 3 adjustable bases and they are all unbelievably expensive. Based on what I know of what things cost, I’m betting they can sell them for 500 bux and still make a profit. Anyway, the one my wife likes is the most expensive, of course (in any model)! So at this point I’m really pretty pissed that this segment of LIFE has turned into a profit center for the criminal elites called ‘investors’. I remember when a decent bed cost 350 bux! Getting old doesn’t help matters either. Back when I was young, I could sleep on concrete, so long as you kept me dry, gave me a lump of something to rest my head on, and a big enough blanket to cover me!

So this has become a very complicated clusterf**k of greed, fixed pricing and ‘an offer you can’t refuse’.

What do you guys know about Malouf and Tempur adjustable bed frames?
I’m trying to find the ones that will be most durable and have all the features we need.