Mattress topper help - Stearns & Foster Hurston pairing

I bought this mattress about a year ago: Stearns and Foster Hurston Cushion Firm Tight Top Mattress - King
Neither my wife nor I are sleeping well. She is a 5’7" 145# side sleeper. I am a 5’11" 215# “tries-to-sleep-on-side-so-I-don’t-snore-but-cant-stay-comfortable-in-one-position-so-I-roll-around-all-night” sleeper (that’s the official name for it. I looked it up). :slight_smile:
We bought a 3" foam topper, but I hate it - I sink in too much, and am unable to move easily without sitting up. It also gets hot. She sleeps better than without it, but not great.
We are thinking about trying a 2" latex topper as an alternative, but are a bit confused by what is available in the market & if it would help.
Any thoughts and/or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi Desperado,

I would suggest that you go with a 3" Talalay latex topper. It’s my experience that with a 2" topper you will go through it and onto the uncomfortable surface below. If possible consider a dual-density topper as there is quite a difference in your weight profiles. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

My concern with the 3" option is that I don’t like being sunk into to 3" foam topper we have now… That is why I was considering the 2" option. However, I don’t have any experience with Latex. Should I expect a better experience?

Hi Desperado,

Latex does have a different feel than polyurethane and a much different feel from memory foam. That’s why I’m suggesting different densities for each of you. For you consider a 28 ILD and for her a 19 ILD. Neither of you will compress through or well into those densities.

2 Likes

Hi Desperado,

I can not speak for CST here as Bob is an expert with many years of experience fitting sleepers with Talalay mattresses and toppers.

Just an observation. Talalay as with Dunlop, can be made to a variety of ILD’s. It seems like you have had some issues with viscoelastic memory foam, both in the form of a topper and within an existing mattress.

Despite the S&F Hurston mattress being part of their firmer line of previously offered mattresses, S&F, since acquired by Sealy and subsequently Tempurpedic, tend to use viscoelastic memory foam (tempur style foam) in their builds. Sealy acquired S&F in 1993 and Tempurpedic acquire that merged company in 2013. Since that point, many of the mattresses of the Tempur/Sealy family combine memory foam in many of their current builds.

I often compare the modern day “S” brands akin to the American Automobile industry of the 1970’s. Not the American Auto Industry’s finest hours.

I digress back to the topper. The “sink” you will feel from a memory foam topper is not quite like the contouring and pressure relief you will feel when sleeping on latex.

Below I will offer a general outline of the difference between memory foam verses latex.

Memory foam toppers typically provide a sinking sensation as they contour to the body’s shape, offering excellent pressure relief. This sinking feeling can provide a cocoon-like experience, which some sleepers find very comfortable. However, it can also lead to a sensation of being trapped or sleeping hot for some individuals. I happen to buy a tempurpedic 3" memory foam topper several years ago. My wife freaked out. She felt trapped in the mattress, could not get out of bed, and could not move while in bed. We gave the topper to a friend, that about sums that up! Lol!

On the other hand, Talalay Latex toppers offer a more buoyant and responsive feel. They don’t conform to the body in the same way memory foam does, but rather gently support the body while providing a bit of bounce.

So when comparing these two foams:
Memory foam toppers offer deep sinkage and contouring, while Talalay Latex toppers provide a responsive and supportive feel with less sinkage.

A key point to consider with Talalay Latex toppers is they are known for their consistent density throughout the entire layer, which contributes to their overall breathability and temperature regulation. This uniform density allows for better airflow, helping to dissipate body heat more effectively than memory foam, which can be especially beneficial for those who tend to sleep hot. Additionally, the responsiveness of Talalay Latex makes it easier to move around on the bed, enhancing overall comfort and sleep quality.

I hope you dont mind me jumping in here, I wanted to just point out the difference between latex and your previous experience with memory foam.

All the best,

Maverick

1 Like

Thank you both for the great insights. Is there a recommended brand that leans towards the budget conscious?

1 Like

I agree with @PapaMike there are an abundance of places full of latex topper options available. Talalay will command a higher price than Dunlop.

@desperado

Marketplace is full of budget toppers. Some new, used once, uncomfortable, etc. In my general location, there’s 1,676 listed.
Seems like millions of people across the nation are trying to fix a bad mattress without much success.

Best wishes for a good find.

1 Like

Thanks. From the above recommendations I am looking for a 3” talalay topper. Not used. I don’t want to replace the mattress. The toppers are quite expensive, so my question is regarding a recommended brand.

@desperado
There are many available among the TM here:
Trusted Members