New member with Mental Mattress Fatigue

Hello… I feel like my head is about to explode from just the sheer volume of information out there about choosing a new mattress, and I believe many of the posters here may be kindred spirits in that regard. I have decided to replace my 10-year old innerspring and so my journey has begun. The past two years I have had a 4" memory foam topper on it which has made it a bit better, but I have to practically leap on the bed because it is so tall, and I cannot find sheets with pockets deep enough for all that to stay in place through the night. It is the perfect formula for a very restless and uncomfortable night. Enough is enough… it’s well past time to do something!

First I thought I’d just join all those comfy people on TV and get my own “sleep-number” and sleep blissfully ever after. Started reading reviews and realized potential issues with mechanical parts in a bed may not be ideal in the long run… and oh yeah, the price! Then I remembered that I really like the memory foam on my bed topper, so Tempurpedic must be the answer to my sleep-deprived nights. So I started researching memory foam and reading reviews. More confusion than ever ensued. Tempurpedics are gorgeous mattresses (haven’t been to the stores yet), but again… the price! Yikes!

So today I found this site and forum and I hope this may be my final information destination. Between what I have read here and other mattress advisory sites, I learned that Tempurpedic is not the only memory foam game in town. Yesterday I thought perhaps the Healthy Foundations 10" memory foam mattress was a strong candidate, and today on here the Ultimate Dreams 13" mattress became a contender as well. But it is so confusing when some people say this bed is waaayyyy too soft, and others say it’s waaaayyyy too firm. I feel like Goldilocks in the three bears’ house trying to find a comfy place to take a nap.

So, I will probably order one of those two options. Your thoughts, Phoenix? And are there any local mattress manufacturers/retailers near Bristol VA, or Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City) TN you would suggest as worth a visit? Buying local would be a great option as well if there are.

Thanks so much for putting all this information in one place to help ease the pain of the mattress-buying experience. Just maybe my head won’t explode after all! :woohoo: (And thanks to the users who post their very helpful personal reviews and stories!)

Hi Harper,
I feel your pain. I am test driving a mattress at the moment. I have slept on it for 2 months now and I am finding it too hard. The problem is what to do next.
option 1 Return mattress/exchange for different model
option 2 Keep mattress and buy a topper
option 3 Return mattress and start the search all over again.
The process alone is making me lose sleep. I am wary of purchasing another mattress on line but I have few options given where I live in Canada.
At the moment I am leaning towards the topper option as it seems like the least expensive option should I make a mistake.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Hello Tizzy… Do you mind sharing which mattress you are “test driving” right now? I am so tired of the shopping phase that I’m about ready to just order the Ultimate Dreams 13" from Amazon. If I don’t like it, I will use it in the guest room but I can’t help but think it will be so much better than what I have right now.

So sorry your online experience hasn’t been satisfactory. I would think that the right topper just might add the extra softness you need. There are several posts about toppers here as well. Phoenix has listed some he considers quality products.

I think I’m ready to wave the white flag of surrender and order something just to stop the madness! Aghhhh! :frowning:

Hi Harper,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice.

The tutorial post also includes a link to some of the better online memory foam manufacturers and retailers that I’m aware of and Dreamfoam is one of these and a member of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the industry.

The Healthy Foundations 10" memory foam mattress uses good quality materials but they only have one option so they are really an all or nothing choice because there are no mattresses which are a good match for a majority of people in terms of PPP. There is more about them in post #486 here.

Some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. I have read your tutorial as well as several other articles/posts you have written. I have been to some of the local stores you mentioned but I just didn’t find anything that I felt really met my needs versus value. I get overwhelmed walking into a furniture/mattress store and seeing all those floor models and am not comfortable laying on them there in the store. An online purchase really is a better fit for me and I really appreciate all the info here that makes me feel even better about making that decision.

I’m going to order the DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams 13" gel memory foam from Amazon. The reviews are largely positive, the company is very reputable, and products are made in the USA. I believe the softness will help with my tender points (fibromyalgia/fatigue issues). I am 5’3" and 125 pounds, mostly a back sleeper (or sometimes side) so I think this will be a good fit. Also ordering from Amazon lets me pay over 12 months with no interest. I call that a win-win.

I found this quote in an article on types of mattresses on WebMD which pretty much summarizes my situation. It seems to be in line with some of your information here: “If you have a hard time getting comfortable, if you have chronic fatigue, or some type of muscle pain, then a memory foam mattress would work well for you, assuming you don’t have temperature issues,” Breus says.

Full article here: Best Mattress for Lower Back Pain

Thanks again. I hope to be back soon with a review of my new gel memory foam mattress experience!

Hi Harper,

It sounds like a good choice to me although spending some time testing the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe which is similar in terms of softness (many people have said that the 13" gel memory foam is just a little firmer) just to confirm that your choice is a good “match” for you would have been a good idea.

While some of the article you linked has some good information … I’m not so sure I would agree with this because the design of a mattress is at least as important as the materials that are used inside it and each person can be unique. Some memory foam mattresses may be completely unsuitable for some people while a different memory foam design may work very well. The same is true for most materials and mattress types. Having said that … a softer memory foam mattress can certainly work well for some people with these types of challenges.

I am very skeptical of these types of “blanket” suggestions though and while Dr Breus may be a well known sleep expert … I’m not so convinced that he’s a great mattress expert (and I don’t think very highly of the Dr Breus latex hybrid mattresses).

He also says …

Which of course is about as far from accurate as you can get.

Most of all though … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You’ve certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Hi Tizzy,

Have you talked with Novosbed and did they make any suggestions?

Based on your comments and their reply in this thread … it seems that they also think that the mattress you have is too firm and you may be better off with something softer.

If you do decide to go with a topper then the topper guidelines in post #2 here and post #8 here may be useful.

If your local testing on the mattresses that “match” the ones they sell and a more detailed conversation with them gave you good confidence that a different mattress would be a more suitable choice then I would personally lean towards a mattress exchange rather than the greater uncertainty (and cost) of adding a topper.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I didn’t know Dr. Breus had a mattress line but as with all so-called “experts” I take what they say with some level of speculation. However, my own experience on the 4" memory foam topper makes me think I will be happy with the Dreamfoam mattress.

I have it in my Amazon cart but haven’t checked out yet to finalize the purchase. I did order their low-profile shredded foam pillow and am eager to try it. (will be here Tuesday) I will be out and about tomorrow and will probably stop by a Tempurpedic dealer for comparison now that I have settled on the Dreamfoam bed. There are two stores within 5 miles of my house. Thanks again and I will continue to read all the great info you have here.

[quote=“Harper” post=29500]I’m going to order the DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams 13" gel memory foam from Amazon. The reviews are largely positive, the company is very reputable, and products are made in the USA. [/quote] Mmmmm… maybe not!

Phoenix… Today I took your very wise advice and ventured out to try out some mattresses. First stop was the Midway Furniture Warehouse. They are truly a “warehouse”… no fancy showroom here and I was pleasantly surprised at their nice mattress selection. I found myself drawn to the BedBoss line. I laid on two of them for about 10-15 minutes each until I felt they had reacted to my body heat enough to get an idea of their level of support. I was a little put off by discovering their foam is made in China but after doing some research after I got home, I think I am OK with that in their case since they display the Certipur-US logo. (I checked the Certipur website and found them.) Their beds have handles on the sides and there was a definite edge support which felt good when sitting on the bed. Not a big thing, but I read reviews that those were two minor annoyances with the Ultimate Dreams I am considering on Amazon.

I first laid on the Visco Crown Pillowtop 13" which is rated by BedBoss as mostly soft. I did really like the soft feel and level of support it has. It advertises 9-zone support in the bottom two layers but I don’t know if that would be discernible in a big way at my size. My biggest concern is the attached pillowtop even though very comfy, my experience with pillowtops is that eventually they become distorted over time mostly by the movement of getting into and out of the bed in the same spot. The perfect bed would be one whose pillowtop cover unzips and that layer could be replaced if needed down the road but this one didn’t have a zipper around the top.

Then I tried the Visco Heir ET Eurotop 11" which is more in the medium firmness range but still felt cushy but a bit firmer than I think I want overall. It was cold in there and I won’t know the true firmness until I bring one home. BedBoss also now sells a 2.5 inch topper with the same specs as the pillowtop layer in the Crown. I’m thinking that the Heir + topper will give about the same effect as the Crown if I decide I need a bit more cushion to lay on later.

I couldn’t find much info on each layer density but one website said BedBoss uses 3-4 pound memory foam in the comfort layers. For the price it was quoted, I can definitely live with that. I can get the Heir and topper for the same price as the Amazon bed ($800).

Then to end my day, I went next door to Mattress Firm to try an actual TempurPedic Cloud Luxe. It felt wonderful, and maybe a bit too plush, but it didn’t look any more impressive than the BedBoss beds appearance wise. And, it is $3999!

Here’s an interesting short YouTube video of a BedBoss sales rep describing their products compared to TempurPedic. He’s very honest in saying TP “may” be the most supportive memory foam mattress out there but he feels BedBoss comes close to providing comparable levels of support.

So unless you have any cautionary advice about BedBoss, I may have found my new mattress just up the street. I know this is a mid-grade mattress, and the warranty might as well not even be offered it’s so limited. But at $600 if it remains comfortable for three years I feel I will have gotten my money’s worth. (Sorry I’m so long-winded but thanks for listening.)

Hi Harper,

BedBoss has some good value mattresses and as you mentioned they are CertiPur certified so as long as the model you are considering meets the memory foam criteria in post #10 here and you are comfortable with some of the uncertainty of buying a Chinese memory foam mattress (see post #2 here and post #6 here) they can be a good option … as long as you can confirm the quality of all the materials in the mattress.

I would tend to make sure they can provide you with the specific density of the memory foam and the retailer should be able to call his rep and find out for you. There is a significant difference between 3 lb memory foam (which is low quality and would be less durable) and 4 lb memory foam (which is medium quality/density and would be more durable) so I would want to know where it was in that range. I would also want to know the density of the memory foam topper.

In some cases … depending on all the factors that are involved in the durability of a mattress (see post #4 here) … lower quality materials can soften or break down to the point where they no longer provide the comfort and support that you need more quickly than 3 years but of course each person may have different criteria that are the most important parts of their personal value equation.

Phoenix

Hi Harper, sorry for the delay in replying, been away from the computer for a few days. We are test driving the Novosbed /Sonata model. The company itself is excellent to deal with and I would not hesitate to recommend them. Theie trial periods & return policy is probably one of the best out there which is why I even considered ordering a mattress online. If you have not already done so I would suggest you have a look at their website and/or give them a call. Very helpful customer service.
Phoenix, thank you for your suggestions, still mulling over the situation and deciding what to do. The reason that I am leaning towards a latex topper is that if it does not work out I can use the layer as part of a DIY latex bed. Does that solution sound reasonable or am I missing a piece of the puzzle?

Hi Tizzy,

If you are leaning towards buying a latex mattress anyway then this would make sense to me as long as the topper is one of the layers of a mattress design that you are confident would work well for you. I think that a “kit” mattress where you are buying a mattress with individual components from a manufacturer that gives you the option to exchange layers and/or has a good return policy is usually a much less risky choice than a complete DIY where you are designing your own mattress and purchasing the components piece by piece (see post #15 here).

Some manufacturers such as SleepEz allow you to buy a topper and then “upgrade” it to a complete mattress if you choose to afterwards.

Phoenix

Tizzy… Thanks for the update. I went out again today and spent a couple of hours at a local Tempur dealer. I wanted to try the new Tempur-Choice Luxe with the adjustable air support built in since flybear had wonderful things to say about his experience with it. I had first thought I wanted a Sleep Number (since changed my mind) and thought this might be the best of both worlds.

This is the part where mattress shopping gets so confusing in that it is such an individualized process. While flybear got great results with the Choice Luxe, it’s just not the right fit for me. I am looking for a Queen size and as I started to experiment with the remote, I soon had my side much lower than the other side where no one would be sleeping in my case. I tested for about 20 minutes but never really bonded with the bed and could feel the air pockets of the other side against my back. I realized then that I could probably never sleep in the middle of the bed as I do sometimes due to the variations in pressure settings which would inevitably happen. And when I got up, my side looked really saggy from being adjusted down to the softest setting. So unless I took the time to readjust the pressures each morning, the bed would always look a bit wonky which I know would drive me crazy. It was a good “test drive” for me since it eliminated one option.

I do love the Cloud Luxe. I spent probably 30 minutes on it in side and back positions. I also tried the Breeze version and felt chilled immediately when I sat and then laid on it. I find the Breeze beds too cold for me since I like to be warm when I sleep. I’m sure they heat up in a few minutes but I really don’t want that cool feeling when I get into the bed. That was an important revelation because I probably would not want the gel foam like the Restava line (although I think they are the nicest looking beds I’ve seen).

I am beginning to think that I will just bite the bullet and find a way to get a Cloud Luxe because all this research and comparison shopping, thinking I’ve made a decision, then oops… that may be the wrong decision, research some more… rinse and repeat… is starting to trigger my anxiety which is not a good thing. I’m about to raise the white flag of surrender.

One thing I did definitely decide today is that I will get an adjustable base. I actually hadn’t given that much thought but I tried a couple and I believe that it increases the comfort and benefits of a bed by at least another 50%. Tempur-pedic has recently updated their Ergo Premiere and it looks to be on par with the L&P Prodigy in features and price. I am leaning to getting the Tempur-pedic model since I actually got to use it. I was really surprised by how well the massage (vibration) feature works, especially for the lumbar area where I have a lot of tightness.

So now I am left with a decision of which bed to put on the adjustable frame. Tempur or other similar and less expensive mattress. I have gone full circle in my thinking from the Dreamfoam, to Bed Boss, to Revata, to Tempurpedic. I think I’m getting dizzy!

Phoenix is so absolutely correct in saying you HAVE to actually experience a mattress (or as close as you can get) to really know if it goes on your short list. Hopefully my list is getting a bit shorter! Another thing he is spot on about is that the sales people on the floor know less about their products than we do. I’ve been to two Tempur stores now and both times the young ladies who waited on me knew few details about the products. Today she couldn’t even tell me about the warranty on the bed, but she was very sweet. In this and any major purchase, it pays to be an informed consumer–even when it is painful to be one! :pinch: