Purple rejuvenate premier causing shoulder pain

I received my mattress about 4 months ago . It didn’t bother me like the first week but then I started to get flank/ shoulder blade pain. It hurts both of my shoulders . I weigh about 180 lbs and am a side sleeper . I also had shoulder surgery last year and the way it was advertised made it seem like it was the best, most comfortable one but doesn’t seem to be right for me. This was a warranty upgrade so I am not able to return . I tried to talk to purple but I didn’t expect them to work with me and they didn’t .
Would it be best to sell ? Put a topper on ? If so what kind ? It’s so tall and expensive it seems silly to put a topper on it . It seems like after all this time it would be broken in by now . It makes me feel very sore like I’ve been beaten up when I wake up in the morning and I’m also not sleeping well from tossing and turning . Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated . Thanks.

Hi gatorgrad011 and welcome to the forums! I really think the only options are to add a topper or replace the mattress, unfortunately. If you add a latex topper, my advice is to get a 2" or 3" soft Talalay topper, and I’ve included the reasoning just below.

A 2” topper will make a noticeable difference but, depending on how much you want to change the feel of your mattress, may still leave something to be desired. The 3” topper will change the feel of your mattress the most, and if that’s the change that you’re looking for then this would be the best bet. The best way to summarize it would be to say that a 2” topper will make the mattress feel moderately softer and the 3” topper will make the mattress feel much softer.

Both the thickness and the density makes a difference when choosing a topper. Ultimately, how you make your decision will depend on the following: how firm your mattress is now; how much softer you want your mattress to be; your height, body weight, and sleeping preference (For example, if you weigh more than about 200 lbs I would recommend a medium topper; if you weighed more than 200 lbs and bought a soft topper, you would likely bottom out and sink right through the topper to the firm mattress that you’re trying to move away from). We normally recommend soft for folks under 200 pounds, medium for folks between 200 and 250 pounds, and firm for folks over 250 pounds. Even though we call it a “firm” topper, it will actually feel quite soft to anyone over 250 pounds, just FYI.

Aside from that, Talalay is bouncier and springier and is generally better at contour and pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. Dunlop is denser and firmer and is generally better at support and maintaining proper spinal alignment so Talalay is much more common for toppers. Talalay can also be helpful in avoiding back pain because it provides more of what we call secondary support. Secondary support fills in the gaps between your body and the mattress. For side sleepers, this is normally the area between a person’s ribs and waist. For back sleepers, this is normally the area between the small of your back and the mattress. If these parts or your body aren’t being held up by the mattress, your muscles will work all night to hold those parts of your body up, which can lead to back pain. So Talalay is much more common for toppers because of the extra pressure relief and secondary support it offers.

1 Like

@gatorgrad011

Tell us about your pillow. A pillow is also a major contributor to shoulder and upper neck discomfort.

1 Like

I have so many different pillows and have tried switching them out but I don’t usually try it very long before switching it out. I have all the different heights of the purple harmony pillow and I have the new purple dream layer pillow . I also have a ghost pillow and another foam pillow that’s about 3 in high . I’m so confused about what height to use . This mattress does have 2 in of foam on top of the purple grid so I do sink in some . It seems when I use the highest pillow it was a bit too high . And I tried the lowest pillow it does seem like I’m aligned the best but one night I did wake up with bad shoulder pain when sleeping on the low one . I just don’t know what to do and am confused with all the options . I’m surprised I’m having such an issue with the mattress .
I slept on my guest room mattress last night so I could get some sleep . It’s just an original ghost bed . It seems like a pretty firm mattress but it doesn’t bother me so much .

If the Purple mattress is hurting your shoulder, sell. I bought a Purple 4 and it was killing my lower back. Purple has great comfort layer, but poor support.

Id look into a Flobeds VZone latex. Search “flobed shoulder pain” to find Damien. He solved shoulder pain with Flobeds

John

Most people dont have the pillow collection that I have built. The Pillow Collection (partial).
I have expressed that of the pillow and mattress ( other accessories aside) is comprises a 55/45 mattress to pillow ratio which is of critical importance for a comfortable pain free sleep.

Selecting the right pillow to complement your new mattress is crucial for ensuring a good night’s sleep and maintaining proper spinal alignment. Here are some steps to help you choose the correct and optimum pillow:

1. Consider your sleeping position: Different sleeping positions require different levels of support.
  • Back sleepers typically need a medium-firm pillow to support the natural curve of their spine.
  • Side sleepers generally require a firmer pillow to fill the space between the ear and shoulder.
  • Stomach sleepers may benefit from a softer, thinner pillow to prevent neck strain.
  1. Evaluate the mattress firmness: If your mattress is firm, you might need a thicker pillow to provide adequate support, especially if you sleep on your side. Conversely, if your mattress is plush or softer, a thinner pillow may be more suitable to prevent your head from sinking too far.

2. Consider any specific health conditions or preferences: If you suffer from neck pain, allergies, or other health issues, look for pillows designed to address these concerns, such as orthopedic pillows or hypoallergenic materials.

3. Test the pillow: If possible, try out different pillows in-store to gauge their comfort and support. Pay attention to how the pillow aligns your neck and spine in your preferred sleeping position.

4. Check the pillow’s fill materials: Pillows come in various materials, including memory foam, latex, down, and polyester. Each material offers different levels of support, firmness, and breathability. Choose the one that feels most comfortable and supportive for you. I tend to shy away from the “alternative fills” like alternative down.

5. Consider pillow height and loft: The height or loft of a pillow refers to its thickness when laid flat. Side sleepers generally need higher loft pillows, while back and stomach sleepers may prefer lower loft options.

6. Invest in quality: A good pillow is an investment in your sleep quality and overall health. While it may be tempting to opt for cheaper options, a high-quality pillow made from durable materials will provide better support and last longer.

It’s understandable to steer clear of gimmicky pillows, as they often cater to a smaller percentage of users compared to more traditional options. While some people swear by pillows like the Purple Pillow, gel pillows, or buckwheat hull pillows, the reality is that they may not be the best fit for everyone.

I like to think of the pillow as the “mattress for your neck and shoulders.” It should offer support, comfort, and breathability, with the right firmness level to suit your needs. Ideally, your pillow should cradle your head and neck without overwhelming your sleep experience, providing a sensation of weightlessness akin to zero gravity.

If a pillow is too high or low, it can cause awkward angles that strain the neck, shoulders, and middle back muscles. Even if the loft is perfectly matched to your needs, the firmness level is equally crucial. A pillow that’s too hard or too soft can disrupt sleep and lead to headaches or discomfort, despite proper alignment. So, finding that balance is key to a good night’s rest.

It’s true that finding the perfect pillow often involves experimenting with different materials to achieve the right balance of loft, firmness, and overall feel. While I may not be a fan of Tempurpedic mattresses, their ProCloud line of pillows might provide just what you’re looking for, offering that ideal combination of loft, firmness, and a cloudlike weightless sensation.

However, my appreciation of horsehair pillows has taken my comfort quest to a new level. The unique properties of horsehair fill set it apart from other materials, providing a sensation unlike anything else. Even with horsehair pillows, I’ve continued to refine my sleep setup, experimenting with combinations such as adding shredded foam from Brooklyn Bedding’s shredded latex/memory pillow and creating a two-chamber pillow with horsehair and Lanoodle latex noodles.

This tinkering has resulted in noticeable improvements, particularly in the case of my most recent combination of horsehair and LaNoodle latex.

Sticking with the basics is often a wise approach when it comes to choosing a pillow. Materials like latex (both solid and shredded), feathers, wool, polyurethane, and viscoelastic memory foam have stood the test of time and continue to offer reliable comfort and support for many sleepers.

Cozypure’s Baa-noodle pillow may offer a similar experience to my horsehair and lanoodle fill combination, but will a little less responsiveness.

Each of these materials has its own unique characteristics and benefits. Latex, for example, is known for its durability, resilience, and hypoallergenic properties. Feather pillows can provide a soft and luxurious feel, while wool offers natural temperature regulation and moisture-wicking properties. Polyurethane and viscoelastic memory foam are celebrated for their ability to contour to the shape of your head and neck, providing personalized support.

Ultimately, finding the right pillow is a highly individual process, and what works for one person may not work for another. However, starting with tried-and-true materials like latex, feathers, wool, polyurethane, and memory foam can serve as a solid foundation for your search for the perfect pillow. From there, you can experiment with different combinations and designs to tailor your sleep experience to your specific preferences and needs.

Hopefully this will not confuse you, but help guide you to the perfect pillow combination.

Best of luck,

Maverick

I was able to find a tempurpedic cloud pro on Amazon for $65 through the warehouse so I’m going to give it a try . Thanks :slight_smile:

I’ve tried a topper on the mattress before and then it feels too soft . I don’t like sinking in a mattress .
I know this mattress has
1 inch of active response foam as they call it then 1 inch of talalay latex over the first layer of purple reinforced grid .

I’m not sure if I’m not collapsing the grid or what is going on or if the reinforced grid is just too firm . Or maybe I’m fully collapsing the grid and it’s causing a lot of pressure and I’m just bottoming out onto the next layer of purple grid . It’s hard to know what is going on.

Hopefully changing the pillow will help .

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation :slight_smile:

That is a great price and I wouldnt worry about it coming from the warehouse. I purchased a TP back cushion to use in my car. Saved $40 and the thing was brand new never opened. The box has a slight rip in the card board.

@gatorgrad011
The Purple Mattress teardown.
Purple

1 Like

I’ve got the fancy 9 k purple rejuvenate premier with the reinforced grid lol. It’s 18.5 in tall . It’s a beast . And I feel like I’ve been beaten up when I wake up . Shoulders sore . Lower back hurts . tonight im sleeping on a Casper element I have in one of my other rooms lol . I did decide to order a flobed because I’m desperate for some sleep and some relief . I’m not impressed with purple at all . I have their most expensive bed because I had issues with 2 of their other mattresses going out on me : one in like 3 months and one in less than a year. .so they applied the cost of both of those to this one . I thought since I was getting their most expensive mattress I was getting something good but it’s actually torture.

I just got it . Looks like it was never used but the box was messed up

1 Like

Thanks I just ordered a flobed yesterday . Seems really clever and a good way to customize for different needs.

Good luck with the flobeds. When you use the TP provide a follow up.
All the best,
Maverick

I’m a little late here but as far as I can see no one has asked whether you’re sleeping on an adjustable frame or not with this mattress. If not I would HIGHLY recommend it. Lots of different factors go into whether a mattress is right for you - height, weight, body composition, etc. An adjustable frame allows you to contour your mattress to better fit you each night. People sometimes think that because they are side sleepers that an adjustable wont work for them, but that’s generally not the truth as your body is not flat. Here’s how a adjustable helps:

1. When you lay on a flat surface on your side your hips, being your widest part, immediately get pushed upwards. This drives your shoulders into that flat surface, putting your body out of spinal alignment and causing additional pressure points at your hips and shoulders. You can see how this works by imagining your arm as your body with your elbow being your hips and your wrist as your shoulders. When you push on the underside of your elbow your forearm goes down. The adjustable frame allows you to create a cradle for your hips and provides support at the same time to your torso.

2. Anyone using an adjustable frame will find over the course of time that they sleep on their back considerably more than they do when on a flat surface. Sleeping on your back will help eliminate some of the pressure you feel on your shoulders and thus is a good thing!

3. Sleeping in a slighly adjusted position also has many other health benefits - having your upper torso even slightly elevated opens up your airways and makes breathing easier, reduces snoring, increases digestion, and helps reduce acid indigestion. Having your feet / legs slightly elevated increases circulation which helps your body rejunvenate each night. Not to mention what raising your feet a little bit does to alleviate lower back pressure & pain.

If your mattress isn’t on an adjustable base go try one!