sleepez!! Love this site -

Phoenix,
As I forgot about the time ifference waiting for them to open. I am very excited here that I ran across this post. I just went on the site and was so happy to see full disclosure on how they are made - layers etc. I noticed that you were purchasing the 10,000 - have you and are you happy?

Here’s my issue - could I possibly order this mattress blind without laying on it??? Im scared. I did see in the shipping that shipping costs could be free depending on mattress!!! Another Great thing. So if I go with the 10,000 or the 8500. How can I determine the top layer comfort - this is where I will be caught up without feeling in person.

You would recommend the combo Dunlop and Talalay in the core/support layers vs the 100% Talalay?

It also states - which is unbelievable - that I can use my EXISTING BOX spring foundation!!! OMG can this be true???

Do I need to purchase anything else with these 3 layers - i.e. zipped bags - or protectors between covers? or just place them on the boxspring and ready to go.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Elise,

Most of the SleepEZ customers and the customers of the other online or DIY manufacturers (including several members of the site) order their mattresses sight unseen. It is much less common that someone actually lives in the city where they are located and manufactured. They are a very popular choice especially for those who don’t have a local factory direct manufacturer near them that offers similar value and materials that you can actually test in person.

When ordering a mattress like this … you can either go by “averages” or you can actually go and test latex mattresses made by other manufacturers or carried by other outlets in your area to get a more clear idea of the type of layering you need. There are many links in the “mattresses” section of the site and threads in the forum that should be helpful with these guidelines. When you have a “blueprint” of the general layering (comfort layers and support layers) that works best for you, then an online order can be more accurate and the chance of needing a layer exchange is much lower.

I actually didn’t order through SleepEZ when I purchased my mattress a little over a year ago but I did design my own based on many hours of testing different layering combinations in local stores and research and then had a mattress manufacturer build a mattress to my specifications and ship it to me across the country (From Dallas to Seattle). For most people this would have been very risky as my mattress isn’t the DIY with a zip cover type of mattress and if I had “got it wrong” then I would not have been able to exchange a layer and would have had to send the whole mattress back using truck shipping and then have them send me a new one which would not have been feasable. The advantage of a layered mattress in a zip cover is that it can be shipped UPS rather than truck freight and that any mistakes in the mattress can also be “fixed” by sending back a single layer through UPS rather than the whole mattress with truck freight so the shipping costs are significantly less.

When you buy a latex mattress … the best foundation or base is a solid slatted foundation (with slats about 2" or less apart) as they don’t need a box spring. While a box spring (with actual springs rather than a solid foundation) is certainly OK to use as long as it is a flat and supportive surface and in good condition … it will change the feel of your mattress compared to using a rigid foundation.

In addition to a mattress … it is wise to get some kind of a mattress protector to guard against moisture, soiling, stains and accidents. The type of protector used depends on preferences and on how different protectors or mattress pads can change the feel of a mattress. Post #87 here about different quilting and mattress pads, this thread, and post #12 here should help.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,

Its finally coming together the past few days of reading and speaking to you. I know I said this - but THANK GOD FOR U!:cheer:

I spoke to Sean at Sleepez - very nice and informative. I am leaning to purchase there as they have a 100% refund policy - and comfort layer exchange. I am going to take your advice and go to one of the NYC stores you suggested to test out the Latex beds in person as I do not know how they even feel.

Sleepez - offers 100% Dunlop vs Blended Talalay and you have a choice of what materials you can use at the same price- assuming you can mix and match. I am unsure which way to go. I know the Talalay is best for the top layer which I absolutely will select.

Each of the 3 seperate layers is 2.8 inches of latex zipped into one bag - total 8.4 inches of All Latex. Do you feel there will be shifting of the layers in this zipper bag with movement??? Vs one 6 or 8" latex mattress?

He suggesred for me 110 lbs and partner 200 lbs the following based on a 90 lb differential between us. Please note his IDL for medium is 30 for the Talalay.
ME Partner
Top Soft Medium
Mid - Medium Firm
Bottom-Firm X-tra Firm

From your past posts - you like Dunlop in the Support Core - should I mix the Dunlop and use talalay in the 2 other layers? What do you think of his recommendation? Please advise

He stated that with a soft-medium (top 2 layers) = Medium Plush
Soft- Firm ( top 2 layers) = Firm Plush

Thanks Again!!!:slight_smile:

Hi Elise,

The mattress cover is designed to fit tightly around the layers. If you move the mattress and the layers shift … its not difficult to re-align them but normally this is not a problem.

Sean’s recommendations are based on “averages” or what a majority of people with your height and weight will prefer. If you do some mattress testing … then you will be in a better position to know how your own testing compares with his recommendation. I have no real preference between natural Dunlop or Talalay as they are both very high quality latex. I personally used all Talalay in my mattress but this was not because it was better … only because it fit what I was designing. Each has slightly different qualities so which is preferable depends on the individual and what they are looking for. Dunlop is useful when someone wants a little higher level of progressive resistance and the support it can provide in certain layerings. It is also a little less springy than Talalay as it doesn’t compress as far so doesn’t spring back as much although even this depends on layering to some degree.

It’s fine to mix the two together and this is often done. Whether or not I would “stray” from his suggestions would depend on testing I had done in local outlets and what it “pointed to”.

Phoenix