Tempurpedic, Latex and Fibromyalgia

Hello,
We currently have a king Tempupedic Breeze and it’s time for a new mattress. This is our second TP. The first one we bought when TP first began business and we had it for 20 years. With the current mattress, we believe the foam has broken down and no longer supports us - we’ve had this one for about 5 years.

Here are our stats and issues:

• King size bed
    *. Down pillows
  • Married - primarily side sleepers
    *. Him = 215 lbs and me 300 lbs (I’m an apple shape)
    *. We both have low back pain - this is new
    *. I have fibromyalgia and general back/hip pain

Here’s what we want:
*. We are seriously looking at latex
*. We like a “soft feel” on the top layer
*. Need low back support
*. Need a cooler mattress - sick of sleeping hot (menopause)
*. DIY looks complicated - makes me nervous
*. Prefer to stay under $3K

I’ve scoured the posts and taken notes on the articles. We are shopping for my body type - not hubby. Looks like I need a mattress that is thicker (at least 9 inches or more), possibly Talalay comfort layer (not sure how thick), and Dunlop for support layers. Really want to support those recessed areas of the body to keep body in alignment but also have softness to prevent pain.

I came about this website after hours of researching the most common brands. All the “Best of…Mattresses” came up with the same 10 brands (Helix, Saatva, Nectar, etc). I thought to myself - there HAS to be more out there. I’ve learned so much from this website - who thought I would ever take notes on a mattress website? :blush:.

Appreciate any guidance!

Theresa

Hi TAS36,

Thank you for all your information. That’s very helpful.

I think latex is a great choice for you. There are several companies that can help you construct a mattress of latex or latex hybrid.

CST - @CST can build each side of the mattress specific to your body characteristics and sleeping position utilizing Talalay latex.

Sleep EZ - @Sleep_EZ - Offers dual-side construction with both Talalay and Dunlop latex.

Arizona Premium - @Arizona_Premium - Can provide a hybrid mattress with a combination of latex and coils.

FloBeds - @FloBeds - Offers latex in multiple zones. You have the option of selecting the zoning that works for you.

I would suggest that you review the products offered by these four companies.

I hope this helps to point you in the right direction.

Bob

Thank you CST for the information. I am curious about hybrid mattresses. What is the benefit of them - is it just more support using the coil system? I’ve wondered about the advantages vs disadvantages of hybrid system. The coils make me think back to the old inner spring mattresses where eventually you could “feel the springs.”

Based on the posts I’ve searched, these are the companies that I want to research - perfect recommendations! Thank you so much!

I suggest you look around in your area first for someone who sells latex mattresses. Get an idea of what firmness levels work for you then give us a call as we can meet most specifications and keep you within your budget.

Thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately, there really isn’t anyone who sells latex mattresses near us. If they do, they do not list the layers or density of the materials and sometimes, not even the layer type at all. I have a feeling, we will be going in blind on this one. Another words, simply ordering one and fingers crossed that we can get it dialed in correctly.

Theresa

Hello! I too am new to the forum and I’ve appreciated all of the info the experts have posted.

With that being said, I looked at the 4 companies listed above as well as a few others and I need a firm mattress for my back, hip, and shoulder/neck pain. I am on the heavier side but I’ve been losing weight (250 lbs and 6 ft). I sleep on my back/side and the dog sleeps on the other side.

Here are the top 6 mattresses (hybrid firm) I have found and any input would be greatly appreciated!

1. Winkbed luxury firm
  2. Lessa sapira hybrid
  3. Nest Alexander
  4. Plank Luxe firm
  5. Sleep EZ
  6. Arizona king ultimate hybrid
1 Like

Look for national brands like Posh and Lavish (talalay and dunlop) and King Koil Pure Bliss Latex (all talalay). Go to websites and they have store locators. I felt that King Koil latex was superior.

John

Hi Aa47725,
Welcome to TMU. Thanks for providing some information about your size and weight. Last year was my first entry into the BinB genre after a life time of the more well known national/international brands and a stint growing up on innerspring, horsehair/cotton combination.
For reference, when I purchased my new mattress last year, I was 6’ 250, so in that respect, we have similar stats.

If i am not mistaken, the Alexander is no longer made, the newer versions are the Owl and Sparrow that replaced the Alexander.

When you get down to it, the best thing you can do is to narrow your choices down to two or three and then view the layers of each mattress side by side on your computer screen. Each mattress will have its own featured design. It really comes down to your preferences.

If you are someone who likes sleeping on the top surface of the mattress with very little sinking. The Plank Luxe (my mattress) will offer that experience. The winkbed is a bit more cushy on the top and the Nest pair offer split sleeper comfort. Arizona and Sleep EZ offer excellent quality materials, quality support systems and EZ has split side comfort individualized for each sleepers in their all latex model.

I would tend to stay away from all memory foam mattresses. For your size, and particularly with anyone who is not transparent about the specs of their foams. You may find them soft and huggy to begin with, but failing in the long term, and possibly too warm to sleep in.

So, you have a nice selection of choices, I would even kick in the DLX classic DLX Classic as a nice flippable choice. I am partial to flippable mattresses as in my opinion, if the choice is a quality spring mattress, the odds are in your favor for longer lasting mattress when flippable. Custom Sleep Technology has a very cool body profile feature to help you navigate what is predictably best for your body profile and features CST Options and customize each side sleepers side of the mattress.

When I narrowed my choices down, the range in price between my 2 finalists was over 10k. I chose the Plank Luxe, not because it was the less expensive one per say, but I felt very confident in the build of the mattress and the reputation of BB in the BinB genre. Plus, if the more expensive Shifman did not live up to my expectations, the price to value and quality ratio (my own theory) disappointment would have been quite profound. So I took the chance on the one I had the least to lose from the choices I had left. I know it does not seem that scientific, but in my mind it kind of was, as I do like the less is more angle, provided the quality and comfort is there. I looked at the build of each, and although quite different, both offered excellent quality, but the Plank was a much simpler design, and for me more predictable and usable as a benchmark.

I would look at everyone’s return, refund, restocking and exchange policies, but just about all the the providers you selected are known for doing the right thing when it comes to making you feel comfortable with your choice. Plank, Nest and Lessa are all BB owned brands. As mentioned when it comes to the others, particularly those TMU trusted members, they would not be listed here if they weren’t top notch in quality, transparency about their materials and offer superior service.

Sorry that I cant make that decision for you, as you selected some really good choices. Remember with any mattress, a good bed frame/foundation is a key component and mattress maintenance is important, rotate and if appropriate, flipping your mattress and set intervals. Also, an excellent pillow is a contributing factor to a great nights sleep. I am not talking the one that someone gives you for free with the mattress. I may be ok, but the pillow should be a well thought out component to compliment your preferences and mattress firmness.

Thank you so much for the very detailed and thoughtful answer! The plank luxe is def in my top 3. The others include Arizona and the EZ sleep. Now I just have to decide on full latex vs hybrid. And an excellent pillow is an absolute must! I’ve gone thru 20 and still haven’t found the one! Hahaha.

1 Like

Yes, pillow is key, you can read about my pillow saga here. Pillows

As far as the mattress goes, my wife and I love our plank luxe. It did take her about a month to fully adjust to the increased firmness from our previous mattress. Now, regardless of where we vacation, she loves it when we get home to our mattress.

I mentioned you have some excellent choices. It just depends on what your sleep preferences are. A little cushion top vs no sink tight top vs sinking cuddling. When the time comes you will make the right choice. Love to know when you get down to the final choice!
Norm