The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

These frames are much too tall for a box spring to go on top of the frame. The top of the mattress would likely be 3+ feet tall with a box spring.

What I’m gathering is that you believe the holes would be too large without some sort of extra support on top of the frame though? I’m going to cutting the fabric off the top of box spring to put over the frame to add additional support (it should be very tight), but I don’t want to add anything really thick to the platform if it can be helped.

Hey Astray,

Welcome to the mattress forum :).

Thanks for the post. This is always an interesting topic, and for many years the “traditional mattress players” played a lot of games with fear…warranty is void, lack of support will be dangerous, blah blah blah. Personally, the foundation you choose is totally up to you, AND any latex mattress can go over these frames, from Zinus and others…most importantly one should know the risks, how the technology will work.

I purchased a Zinus Van 16 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame with Steel Slat Support / Mattress Foundation, Queen this past year for a Teenagers Queen bed. It has worked perfectly fine. It was only $79.00 and storage has been much better for her. The foundation just does not feel like it is going to last a long time, but was perfect for my use. Each foundation will also make the mattress feel different, so for some people this can affect their PPP mix.

There is more information about the different types of support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post 1 best foundations for latex mattress.I would also keep in mind that these are general guidelines and some manufacturers have requirements that may be different so I would always confirm with the retailer or manufacturer of your mattress that any support system you are planning to use under the specific mattress you purchase meets their warranty requirements and guidelines.

Thanks,
Sensei

So I actually changed my mind about the Zinus because it wasn’t tall enough. I ended up doing a whole bunch of things that most people probably wouldn’t do, which I’ll go into, but basically I ended up with this instead. I did this solely because I wanted a taller bed, but I slightly regret the decision as the Zinus Elite was of a much higher quality than the Ziyoo, but it gets the job done. I did more in-depth review of it on Amazon that will be posted eventually.

Anyways, after getting the Ziyoo, I actually found a brand new box spring from a local seller for $35 and I proceeded to tear it apart to keep the materials that covered the top of the box. It consisted of a very sturdy, almost cardboard like sheet that had reinforcing string in it, similar to heavy duty packaging tape and the cloth cover. Putting these on top of the frame with one of those sticky mats to hold it all in place on the frame basically just made my frame into a very thin foundation/box spring that provides more than enough support and pressure dispersion for any mattress I might put on there.

Destruction of the box spring and removal of all the staples and nails took up well over 6 hours though so I don’t recommend it though haha. Luckily, the task provided me with enough to time to binge watch a show a Netflix I had been putting off too.

Hey astray,

Thanks for the update. I totally get the need for extra height. Wow, the “project” of taking apart the old box spring…I totally get what you did…but more importantly… which show on Netflix did you binge-watch? I’m kidding, we wouldn’t want the forum to veer into Neflix reviews/opinions.

I do agree you will have plenty of support and balance with your foundation, and a bit more pride in the accomplishment in my opinion.

Thanks again,
Sensei

For a 10" all latex mattress in a King size, is there any real difference between using a single piece wood slat foundation vs two XL twins? My husband and I are both heavy and it’s a heavy mattress. But we really hate the high center ridge we’re experiencing with our current set up. I read the post explaining how the materials, etc play a part and this situation can be somewhat inevitable. But if the single piece king slat foundation has less wood down the center, seems like it might help that problem. On the other hand, since our original Euro slats broke under us, I want to make sure the single piece king is strong enough. I think I also saw a king slat foundation in one piece, but instead of a centered head to toe rail there were two off centered rails. That seems stronger in theory but then we’d also be sleeping directly on top of these rails, which may be bad for someone like me with many spine issues and pressure points. Anyway, if you had some advice on the difference between a king size wood slat foundation in one piece, vs two twins, I would like to hear it. Thanks very much,

So I bought a bed natural latex 9" mattress about 5 months ago and I made a mistake of not purchasing a foundation to go along with it. I bought only a bed frame and that has slats that are 3.25" apart. I’ve noticed that my bed has some sag to it now:

photos.app.goo.gl/mmQXKfgNNcTHc7EbA

I’m hoping this is not actual sag in the latex and is just sag from the weaker/wider apart slats. I’m assuming I should buy a foundation ASAP?

Hi arian487,
how wide and thick are your slats?
An easy thing to check is if they have sagged as well.

Otherwise I have also had a few customers here in Canada that before coming to us had supposedly natural or organic latex mattresses which started to sag within 6-12 months. As for the reason why that was, I can only speculate, but in any case I was not surprised…

The slats are 2 7/8" wide and just under a half inch thick.

Thanks,
the thickness is probably good. Obviously different kinds of wood provide different levels of strength but 1/2 would likely be good.
The coverage area of the slats is not good though. You should have at least 2/3 of the bed covered if you use a latex mattress. That means if you bed is 80in long then you want at least 55inches covered. At your current slat width that means you need at least 19 slats. To be safe, you should have a few more.
The other issue that you may or may not get is that the slats will bent over time. In that case that will cause encourage sagging of the mattress over time. Aspen wood would be good to use for the slats as it is not very susceptible to bending.

Hi there!

First off, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this great forum. Lots of very helpful information!

I would like to ask a specific question that you guys, with all your experience, might be able to answer!

In order to better understand how much a flexible slatted foundation can add to a sleeping system, I would like to know:

For someone who weighs a very light 125lbs, using a 6inch (medium/firm) all latex mattress, would a flexible slatted foundation provide any additional flex? I know this is very specific… but all I read is that “it depends on weight and thickness” and would like to have a better idea what that means!

Even though the mattress on a hard surface is already quite perfect, the person concerned is healthy & athletic and was looking for a hard latex mattress to begin with, I’d like to explore if a flexible foundation can add any benefits (taking into consideration the persons lightweight & the thickness of mattress).

Cheers

I’m currently shopping for an adjustable base for a queen sized latex mattress. Looking for a model with pillow tilt, lumbar support, and preferably wall hugging capabilities. I’ve found quite a few options and am having trouble narrowing it down at this point, so I’m opening up to feedback from anyone who owns/has tried or is familiar with these models and/or companies. Considering all factors (build quality, features, warranty, overall value) would you recommend one over the other?

And with some of the lesser known companies (like dynasty and sven & son) are there legitimate reasons (warranty, build quality, etc) to stick with one of the more popular brands like L&P or are these reliable contenders?

Models I’m Looking At:

Dynasty DM 9000S: Adjustable Bed Base Only | DM9000s Series | Dynasty Mattress
Sven and Son Platinum https://svenandson.com/collections/adjustable-beds/products/elite-adjustable-base
Leggett and Platt Prodigy Comfort Elite Premium Models
Ergomotion Elite https://www.ergomotion.com/products/adjustable-bases/elite/
Ergomotion 8300 Amazon.com
BEAUTYREST BLACK LUXURY Beautyrest Black Luxury Adjustable Base
Serta iComfort Motion Custom II https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/serta-icomfort-icomfort-motion-custom-ii-adjustable-base-queen/159951
TEMPUR ERGO EXTEND ADJUSTABLE BASE https://www.tempurpedic.com/bases-and-foundations/tempur-ergo-extend/v/2562/

Any recommendations for/against would be greatly appreciated, especially if you own any of these models. Or if I’ve missed a good option, feel free to let me know. Thanks!

Hey xjxkx,
Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: .

Sounds like you’ve done a good bit of homework and have made decisions on what your preferences are for an adjustable base. For those consumer subscribers who may be doing the same research, I’d like to add insights from a similar topic, Went Shopping post #3 , Phoenix offers good insights for adjustable base shopping: “If you are considering an adjustable base, it would be important to check with the manufacturer or retailer of your current mattress to make sure that the mattress is suitable for use on an adjustable base and that using an adjustable base wouldn’t damage the mattress or void the warranty. In general terms … foam materials such as latex, memory foam, or polyfoam along with most pocket coils are “bendable” and flexible enough to use with an adjustable bed but thicker layers of firmer polyfoam or thicker mattresses may not contour as well to the different positions and in some cases the constant bending can affect the durability of the foam so I would always make sure you confirm with the manufacturer or retailer that your mattress is suitable for use with an adjustable bed…Since most of the well known adjustable bed manufacturers are reliable … I would choose between them based on price and features comparisons that include the features and benefits that are most important to you. The adjustable bed thread here (READ: much info on features to consider) has more information that you can use to make price/features comparisons between the more popular manufacturers and also includes some links to some sources you can use for pricing reference purposes (there can be a wide range of prices for the same models from store to store).”

Good luck on your search and keep us posted on your progress.
Cheers,
Sensei

We have a split King Sven and son assistance base. Very happy with it and the price. Hardest part about setting it up was getting it inside the house, they are fairly heavy. But a great base!

Hello -

New member here so please pardon my ignorance. Tried to do some research on this forum, but it was a bit overwhelming so thought I would piggy back off this thread to ask a pointed question…

I’m a 35 year old female that had back surgery last year to remove a herniated disc (L5S1), and now have an arthritic back. Recently I’ve been noticing A LOT of discomfort in the mornings when getting out of bed. I believe it’s time for my husband (whose 6’2 and 250 himself) to replace our nine year old BeautyRest pillowtop mattress. We went to a Sleep Number store yesterday, and I truly believe I need an adjustable base set up as I don’t believe I can lay flat any more. My husband is pretty indifferent, but being a finance guy he could not swallow the price tag of that place (the base/mattress combo I liked was middle of the road and still ~$7K!).

All that said - does anyone have any suggested reading/recommendations for my situation? I think the process is a bit more difficult given my back history and current situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

I have a bed frame that has those flexible slats that seem extremely flimsy to me. They are also 5.2 inches apart!!!
So I went down the street to Lowe’s and bought a high density fiberboard with holes “the same stuff that you would see someone using as a pegboard to organize a tool shed or store rack”
I wanted to get the board with holes so that it could still breathe.
I had a 4’x8’ board cut to 4’x80" so it’s not perfect but I can easily tell the added support and I have stood up and bounced up and down and it has held. It has given me a better peace of mind.

Hi L5S1_ArthritisQueen,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am sorry to hear about your discomfort upon waking up in the morning due to the post-surgery “arthritic back” . As you do have some very specific health considerations, nothing can replace your own personal testing. You’d obviously want to consider something that allows for enough surface comfort, and also assists with pressure point relief, while still overall being resilient enough and provide enough support while sleeping. Overall, the two basic functions of a mattress are to support and to provide comfort (you can read more about the basic functions of a mattress here ), with posture and alignment being the first priority and then comfort/ pressure relief “plushness” coming second. I’d also suggest that you consider the adjustable bed after you found the best suitable mattress for you.

When considering any mattress, please be wary of any claims of health benefits, including the relief of back pain. While certain people may respond better or worse to different products, there is no mattress that can make sure a claim with any degree of reproducible certainty. I just wanted to mention that as a cautionary statement as many people tend to get hypnotized by marketing stories. Also, the ~$&K price tag or manufacturer name is not an indicator of quality and suitability, so I’d do a hard reset and start with the first step to find your best match.
The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here (there is a condensed version of it at the end of that post) which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps, more importantly, know how and why to avoid the worst ones. Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When assessing any product, also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

While we can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see post #2 here ).

Hopefully, the information in this reply will give you a good start but if you are stuck with any of the steps in the tutorial or have any other questions we can help with then you are certainly welcome to post them on the forum.
Phoenix

Hi all,

Thanks for this site. The information has been fantastic and very eye opening.

My wife and I have started shopping for a bed and mattress. We bought the bed itself this weekend, and are now realizing that we may have made a mistake. Given some space constraints, we wanted something with built-in storage and bought the Milano bed (specifically the Storage Bed option) from De Fehr Furniture (https://www.defehr.com/product/master-bedroom/series-646/). We’ve bought their furniture in the past. It’s well constructed and of solid maple.

We purchased the bed only (headboard without extensions, foodboard, rails) with the drawers underneath. The bed has what looks like a plywood platform mattress base. Here’s the installation manual (the Storage Bed sections starts on Page 11): https://www.defehr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/646-MILANO-DEFEHR-BEDROOM.pdf

After my reading of the resources here, I’m starting to think that we should not have bought a bed with a platform base. We haven’t really started shopping for the mattress, but I’m concerned about airflow. I know we can use something like a coir bed rug, but I’m worried that won’t be adequate air flow.

We do have a few weeks to cancel the order without penalty, so we aren’t stuck into a purchase.

Does anyone have recommendations for a platform storage bed, ideally solid wood, with integrated drawers on rails and a slat base for improved circulation? My wife wants the base as close to the ground as possible, too.

We saw options on MFC and Dormio, but the drawers are unfortunately on castors and not integrated into the frame. We’re concerned with scratching on our hardwood floors. The options from Ikea same to be the same type of system, and likely aren’t very strong foundations.

Thanks for the help!

So, we actually think we are going to cancel the order and shop for a solid wood bed with a slatted wood base instead, and use some sort of underbed storage option such as plastic bins.

I am discussing some options with Mario at MFC. His solid wood beds seem competitively priced, customizable in finish colours, and have slats 3.25" apart with the option to double up for slats about 1" apart. So they should be suitable for all manufacturers and mattress types.

Hey crr243,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: Thanks for the kind words on the site and hope you continue to find the resources here useful.

Congrats on your new bed/ mattress shopping journey! Sorry to hear that your initial bed purchase isn’t quite what you were hoping for. You had added an update yesterday following this initial post, so I am combining several quotes of interest from that post here as well and renaming the topic to “Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base Recommendations”, will help consumer subscribers sharing your questions follow your research and comments.

[quote]We saw options on MFC and Dormio, but the drawers are unfortunately on castors and not integrated into the frame. We’re concerned with scratching on our hardwood floors. The options from Ikea same to be the same type of system, and likely aren’t very strong foundations.
dormio.ca/product/the-erinn/
en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/products/upper-u…d-frame-with-drawers
[/quote]

Thanks for checking into possible wood bed choices from expert Trusted Members Dormio Organic Beds and MFC . Our trusted member program offers consumer subscribers the unique opportunity to seek advise directly from leading experts in the mattress/ bed manufacturing and retail industries.

Good to hear you are working with @Mario of MFC, sounds like you are on the path now to making some decisions. Hope you’ll keep us updated on your research and let us know what bed you decide on. Will be looking forward to hearing about your future mattress shopping too :wink:

Cheers,
Sensei

Thanks Sensei.

We actually think we’re going to go with a solid birch wood slatted made in Canada bed from MFC. It’ll be in the $1000 CAD range and will support any mattress we buy.

We started our mattress journey today, and it sure will be challenging with a 1.5 year old in tow.

I am a back and stomach sleeper. I try my side most nights, as it lets me be closer to my wife, but I often find myself turning back onto my back not long after. And then I flip between back and stomach throughout the night.

My wife is predominantly a side sleeper, which she got into while pregnant. She sometimes finds herself on her back as that was her previous predominant position, and it’s what has previously been recommended by medical professionals because of an s curve in her spine.

Me - 6’, 190lb, stomach/back
Wife - 5’3", 120lb, side/back

We visited Matelas Dauphin first. We tried several talalay latex, memory foam, hybrid (pocket coil + latex or pocket coil + memory foam) and pocket coil mattresses.

I favoured the London, which is their pocket coil support with foam comfort: Matelas London - Matelas Dauphin

We were told:

• 2" viscos gel (Gel-Flex), 3 lb, 10 ILD comfort layer
  • 4" pocket coils. 14 gauge in the middle zone, 15 gauge in the upper and lower zones
  • 4" support layer of 2 lb polyfoam at 33 ILD

I found that the 2" of foam really cradled my back, and didn’t interfere in stomach sleeping. The pocket coil transition to the firmer 4" foam base was excellent. My wife found this bed too firm for her. It didn’t provide enough pressure point relief in the comfort layer.

My concern here is the durability of the 3 lb comfort layer.

My wife favoured a medium firm Hotel Collection pocket coil: Hotel Collection Mattress | Matelas Dauphin

I couldn’t get her to provide me a copy of the spec sheet, but we were told that all foam layers were 2.5 lb polyfoam. I don’t have the thickness or gauge of the coils or the thickness of the foam, but again the coils had a softer middle zone. I suspect guages were the same as the London.

We also tried one of their semi-firm pocket coil mattresses. I believe it was the Sapphire 2 or 3. My wife found it too firm for her, but I preferred it over Hotel Collection.

I regret not having tried something firmer for myself or softer for my wife, just to get a comparison. She has wide hips and is pretty light; I think she’d benefit from something softer, while I certainly favoured something a bit firmer.

This store has a 50% off end of year sale ending tomorrow. I know one shouldn’t fall into the sense of urgency of a sale, but for a mere $50 deposit they will actually honour the sale price for a full year. We are extremely tempted to buy into the marketing scheme as the mattresses are of a great quality, and if we find something we prefer elsewhere (a) $50 isn’t much money; and (b) we need a guest bed too.

They also have a 120 day trial period with in-store credit, and they’d honour the 50% off for a change. It’s a $50 delivery fee to change out the mattress once.

Sale price, the London was $1250 and the Hotel was $1050.

Some takeaways:

• Neither of us liked the feel of Talalay latex
  • My wife favoured pocket coils with a more plush/softer conventional foam comfort layer for her side sleeping
  • I favoured pocket coils with a firmer memory foam comfort layer (“hybrid”) for my back and stomach sleeping
  • We certainly want to try some more pocket coil options, with both memory foam and polyfoam comfort layers. I think we’d also benefit from trying something firmer for her and softer for me to understand the recommended middle-firm compromise

Next up was Obasan. We spent a couple of hours here and tied a lot of different Dunlop latex mattresses. From customising left and right to fully customising 6 zones, we tried several different combinations.

I’ll continue my account later, when I have more time to write it.