Too Heavy for a Savvy Rest??? And a few other questions!

Hello,

My husband and I need a new mattress and have pretty much decided on Savvy Rest. There seem to be only four dealers in Michigan … and each one is at least a two hour drive! We went to one together and I visited another one by myself (I also wanted to check out the Pure Latex Bliss mattresses).

OK ~ everyone says to go and try out different configurations. Well, we didn’t ask, but the sales associates did NOT offer to re-arrange layers in either store. They seem to use the Dunlop layering of: Firm/Medium/Soft as a default system. And my husband really liked this configuration; however I think I might like the soft Talalay on top.

My husband is not willing to drive and try another mattress place :frowning: And I guess what is bothering me, is that I’ve read somewhere that a person’s weight should be about 160!! Hello!! I don’t think so. We are 64 & 65. My husband is 5’10" and about 220 ~ while I am 5’6" and about 185. I am afraid, even if we get a comfy bed, we’re too heavy for it!!!

ALSO, neither of the stores I visited seemed to use the foundation with the slats. One said they used a cork board with breathing holes in it; and the other one just said they had a foundation that was included in the cost, but it wasn’t the one with the slats (which I see EVERYWHERE, every time I google latex mattresses!!)

I did email Savvy Rest and received no response from them :frowning: My husband likes the fact we can change the latex if we don’t like it, but he’s not willing to go and try out different ones … not that either store offered to help us with this!!

So, I guess my question is ~ is there people out there who have and like their Savvy Rest that are (to me) an average weight??? And what about the foundation??? Does everyone have the one with the slats, or use something else???

Thanks! As we need to get a moving on this … our mattress now is about 23 years old (innerspring) ~ with a big dip in the middle!!!

Hi jj1150,

That’s unfortunate because different people will have very different needs and preferences when it comes to choosing a layering combination (either in terms of the firmness or the type of latex in each layer) that works best for them and one of the advantages of a component latex mattress is that it give you the chance to choose different layering combinations so that you can use your testing to decide on which combination is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

I’m not sure where you read this or whether it was just someone that told you but it certainly isn’t accurate. There are many variables that can affect which mattress or combination of layers and components works best for any individual person including their body type, weight distribution, sleeping positions, what they are used to and mattresses they have slept well on in the past, their preferences, and any special circumstances or health issues that can affect their choice of mattress.

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of comfort and PPP, durability and the useful life of a mattress. and the overall “value” of a mattress relative to your other finalists.

Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials so if a component latex mattress has a combination of layers that are the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (which is the most important factor in any mattress choice) then it would certainly be durable enough for your body weights.

If you have done some careful testing and you still aren’t confident about your choice then the return/refund policy and the layer exchange policy would become a more important part of the value of your purchase and I would keep in mind that Savvy Rest only allows for a layer exchange and doesn’t allow for any returns or refunds.

If you haven’t been able to specifically test a combination of layers that you are confident works well for both of you (with both of you on the mattress and hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) or the stores you are dealing with don’t provide the type of service that you are happy with then it may also be worth considering an online component latex mattress purchase.

The mattress shopping tutorial here includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell component latex mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including organic Dunlop in some cases) and have many different options, features, designs, and return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering if you are comfortable with an online purchase. I think highly of all of them and several of them make component latex mattresses that are very similar in terms of the materials, components, and design to the Savvy Rest latex mattresses but are in lower budget ranges. Post #3 here may be helpful as well.

A mattress is only as good as it’s construction and the type and quality of the layers and materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label and there are tens of thousands of people (if not more) that have purchased component latex mattresses over the years either from Savvy Rest or other manufacturers that make very similar mattresses that are very happy with their purchase but I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you (even if you are in a similar weight range) and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

There is also more about the different types of foundations or support systems that generally work best for different types of mattresses and some good sources for each of them in the foundation post here but a slatted foundation or platform bed that has little to no flex in the slats, has a center beam with good center support to the floor, and that has gaps in between the slats that are 3" (or preferably less) would generally be the most suitable choice for an all latex mattress.

Phoenix

You might check out my thread. I tried and really liked Savvy Rest as well. We ordered our mattress from SleepEz. It is a very simliar set up to Savvy rest for less than half the price.

We got s/m/f and s/m/m talalay. We are pretty close in height/weight to you and your husband. I wanted a little versatility to play around with during the 90 day exchange period and found that we both like s/m/m so we are exchanging it. To us, we really like soft and were used to a memory foam topper so the latex felt much more supportive/firm to us, so we are glad we erred on the softer setup side.