Two Twin mattresses vs one King size

I have read that latex is so heavy and as my husband and I would be purchasing a King, I"m wondering if it would matter at all if we instead purchased two XL Twin size mattresses, as this also would make a King. Has anyone done this? Are there any cons to this idea?

Hi sungirl,

Many people have done this yes but there are pros and cons to a split king mattress including the “gap” in the middle. A split king can be useful for those who use an adjustable bed and prefer to have the option to raise and lower each side independently and there can also be some motion isolation benefits. Some people prefer a component design with split layering where there are different firmness levels on each side of the mattress. This would also be easier to move or transport because the 1/2 layers inside can be removed and transported more easily. Once the mattress is on your bed then the weight would be much less of an issue.

There is more about the pros and cons of split king mattresses in post #8 here and in this topic that may be helpful and post #2 here has more about the pros and cons of split layering.

Phoenix