Vzone mattress questions

Hello,

I have been reading all about the latex mattresses on this site and I am hoping to buy one soon. Does anyone have some recommendations in the Carson City, NV area? My wife thinks i am crazy to buy a mattress online without ever trying it first but there seems to be so much customization and a relatively cheap way to switch up internal layers (just ship them back and switch firmness if unhappy) I am not to worried but if she could lay on one to allay her fears it would be helpful.

Little more info about us, we are both in late 20s, no history of back pain or poor sleeping that I know of, I am a side/back sleeper ~165lbs and a genetically large rear-end. She is a everywhere sleeper but mostly side and back, but also a few months pregnant (now starting to have interrupted sleep as well. We have been in a generic costco mattress for the last 7 years and 2 years ago we ordered an additional memory foam topper because with the last pregnancy she was getting very uncomfortable but I think it makes the bed wayyy too soft. She is supposed to sleep on her side because of the pregnancy so from everything I have seen here and on the individual mattress seller website I think the Vzone is really the only one that would work for everything due to its massive customization. If you all have a different option let me know. The ability to change different areas individually seems great during pregnancy and i can finally have a little more firmness on my side.
Two questions maybe you latex owners can answer, if you have different firmness on each side can you feel it in the middle very much? I know the top 2" layer is all one piece but all the other layers will be separate as will the vzones, My other question has to do with prices, I have read over the sections on building your own foundations and the quickfind information in the top right. It seems like one foundation is as good as the other, if that is the case will I find much difference between the $300 pine slat foundation on mattress.net (King Wood Foundation, Wood Foundations) and the $579 one from flobeds (Premium Mattress Foundations | Enhance Your Sleep - FloBeds), Money is not a big issue but from a value stand point I am not going to pay hundreds extra for the same product. Also if anyone has tried the euro-slats maybe they can comment, is it worth the extra cost, I am hoping i get a full 20 years out of this new setup.

I have the same question on legs, we are upgrading from a queen to a king size so I donā€™t want to drop a bunch of $$ on a new bedframe yet. Can anyone speak to the value of the wood legs vs metal frame, or is it just a cosmetic difference. Also I saw a post with a $50 metal adjustable frame from amazon. (Amazon.com) The person was going to use it for a full size bed but would a king size one get more support. I really dont want to invest in a high quality mattress and have it be troublesome just because I skimped on a cheaper bed frame and slat foundation, but like I said I am looking for value, I donā€™t mind spending the extra money but not if I am getting the same quality product I will go with the cheaper one, the benefit of online shopping, i can pick and choose.

Hi Ptosis,

Welcome to the site and Iā€™m glad you found us.

Many of your questions donā€™t have any definitive answers but I can certainly link you to more information that can help you make more informed choices.

The better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Reno/Carson City/Sparks area (subject to making sure that they are fully transparent and that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #3 here (I just updated the list).

While there are certainly some latex mattresses available in the general area (including component latex mattresses) ā€¦ there isnā€™t anything that would be directly comparable to the Flobeds designs.

While I can certainly help with ā€œhowā€ to choose ā€¦ Itā€™s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are just too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will ā€œfeelā€ to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™ve read since you found the site but just in case you havenā€™t read it yet ā€¦ the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice ā€¦ and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

When you canā€™t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include Flobeds) and who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and ā€œfeelā€ of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about ā€œmatchingā€ their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Flobeds is also one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of then and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency and as you mentioned the V-zone is certainly one of the most customizable mattresses available and there are many ways to customize the layering and zoning on each side of the mattress that can fine tune the support/alignment and pressure relief of the mattress for each person after a purchase.

If you are interested in additional online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses (including component mattresses) that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices. Post #3 here also includes a list of manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses online as well.

Since the only way to know for certain or confirm whether any mattress will be a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP or how it will compare to another mattress will be based on your own personal experience ā€¦ if you arenā€™t confident that an online mattress will be a good match for you then the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or customize the mattress (by rearranging or exchanging layers) and any costs involved or return the mattress for a refund would become a much more important part of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase so you can try out the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with the only risk being the cost of returning a mattress if in the worst case, and in spite of the ā€œbest effortsā€ of everyone involved (both you and the retailer you are buying from), the mattress doesnā€™t turn out to be as suitable a choice as you hoped for.

There is more about the pros and cons of a side by side split layer design in post #2 here but with a solid top layer and a tight fitting quilted cover you wouldnā€™t feel the actual split itself although you would notice some transition in between the different firmness levels on each side (which of course is the reason for the split layering). Larger differences between each side would be more noticeable than smaller differences.

An all latex mattress will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable and stable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, or breaking over time. The support surface under the mattress should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that in a slatted support system (either a foundation on a steel or wooden bedframe or a platform bed with a slatted support surface) that any gaps between the slats are no more than 3" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than that would be better yet.

The foundation from Flobeds has a more evenly supportive surface with more wood and smaller gaps and uses stronger wood. While both would be suitable choices for a latex mattress ā€¦ the Flobeds foundation would be stronger and have a less flex under the mattress. Using legs under the foundation would also save the cost of using a steel bedframe since it wouldnā€™t be necessary. Having said that ā€¦ itā€™s unlikely that you would ā€œfeelā€ any difference between them.

There is also more about flexible slat systems in post #2 here and the posts it links to. Since a flexible slat system is an ā€œactiveā€ part of a sleeping system (just like any other layer or component either in, under, or over a mattress that flexes or compresses when you sleep on it) the only reliable way to know whether a flexible slat system would be an improvement for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP compared to a non flexing support system under the same mattress would be based on your own actual experience when you test it or sleep on it in person and compare both types of support systems under the same mattress. Depending on the design of the mattress, for some people it could be neutral, for some people it could be an improvement, and for some it could be detrimental. The flexible slats would generally be less noticeable under a thicker mattress than under a thinner one or for lighter people than heavier people.

Either one (steel bedframe and a suitable foundation or a foundation with legs and no steel bedframe) can be equally supportive and suitable as long as there is good center support to the floor.

Iā€™m not familiar with the bedframe and I donā€™t know the weight itā€™s designed to support or how stable it is but if the foundation you choose has a center support or is a split king foundation I would tend to choose a bedframe that has a center support that goes from the head to the foot (directly under the center support of the foundation) and my ā€œinstinctā€ also says that there are probably better and stronger options available and it wouldnā€™t be my first choice.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the helpful info Pheonix, I ended up just calling flobeds before I ordered to make sure I was on the same page as them. In less than 15 minutes he was able to answer most of my questions and make a good recommendation.

A little more info in case in helps other readers. I asked about pine/fir/euro zone. He said the benefit of fir is for heavier customers that need a stronger support I believe he quoted its best for anyone around ~250lbs. For the eurozone slats the benefit was a ā€˜bottomlessā€™ feel but if you sleep in the middle at all you will feel the difference between the sides where the most support is and the middle due to it coming like two twins for the eastern kings I ordered. the pine would be a more firm and consistent feeling across the whole bed, which was something I was slightly concerned about. (went with the pine slats)

In relation to the base/frame as you responded there isnā€™t much of a difference between metal and wood. Since i do some woodworking as a hobby I went with the tapered leg, I think they have a classic good look and it gives me some options under the bed storage (my slippers and a few clothes hang out under there so my room doesnā€™t look so messy)

For the mattress itself we went firm-vzone, firm, extra-firm. for my side, and it was encouraging to hear that firm is the sort of middle/medium/normal for most people. my wife got the medium-vzone, medium, firm and he said switch the firm and medium if her weight goes above 150 to help give her more support as the pregnancy progresses. He also mentioned to change individual v-zone sections as the belly weight will be the largest and heaviest part of her soon, I will try and let you all know how that works over the next 4 months or so.

At the end I mentioned this site for my discount and he seemed excited? which is odd when you know they are making less money on a sale, but he did say this is a great site and seemed to really respect it, as a professional myself to see the goodwill you all have for each other is very encouraging, Thumbs up to you both for this subtle yet awesome side note B)

p.s. I did ask if we could get free linens instead of pillows but he said they arenā€™t able to switch which is understandable. I sleeps on a 100% goose down pillow right now and have for the last 15 years, I am very picky about my pillows, and my wife does a memory foam pillow she really likes, He mentioned the pillows are customization as well as you can add or remove latex to adjust firmness. I will probably give it a try and it is a nice little bonus, Now to find some sheets!

To flobeds if you read this, I am very sorry I canā€™t remember you name to the CS man who helped me, i think it was Paul? or Derek? Thanks again for the fast and helpful service.

Hi Ptosis,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and for sharing such detailed comments and feedback ā€¦ I appreciate it.

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback once youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Many of the manufacturers and retailers that are members here enjoy dealing with the forum members that have already done some research because they are already ā€œeducatedā€ and know the basics which in turn makes their job much simpler. They have frequently told me that they can often tell that a potential customer has been reading the information here just by the type of questions they ask and as you mentioned the feeling of respect and goodwill is also very mutual.

There is some information about sheets and bedding in post #7 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to that may be helpful.

Phoenix

Hello all,
As you can see this is my first post. What a wonderful, informative site! I have posted here because I too have zeroed in on the FloBeds vZone natural latex mattress in king size after much reading, studying & contemplation. The purchase price is quite a bite, but if it does the job so be it. I appreciate all of the questions asked by Ptosis and the response by Phoenix as they are the very questions I had on my mind. After my purchase I look forward to relating my experience with the purchase transaction well as my impression (and my wifeā€™s impression) of how well the FloBeds mattress fits our needs.

KW

Hi KiloWatts,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us.

You also made a great quality/value choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Iā€™m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Hello, this is my first post and wanted to thank all contributors, especially Phoenix for the great information on purchasing a mattress. I am leaning towards the FloBeds vZone in a split king configuration. After researching other organic latex offerings I feel that this choice offers the greatest ability to customize the mattress if need be for the least amount of money. With all layers, including the topper being talalay latex, I knew the price would be more than other sites that offered the blended versions of latex or dunlop, but I did find with similar materials and thicknesses that FloBeds was very competitive. I was able to find latex mattress offerings that didnā€™t have a split king option so I priced two twin xl mattresses to end up with the same finished configuration. These sites did offer a slightly lower price but the exchange policy did not seem to match that of FloBeds. When spending a great deal on this purchase I wanted to make sure the customization was available along with great service and customer support. I feel that this can be accomplished with this choice. However, I am open to any suggestions that others may have.

Hi mikea01,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

As youā€™re probably already aware, Flobeds is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are also extremely knowledgeable about latex zoning and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration. Their zoning system is quite unique and they are very experienced in using this system. Thereā€™s a little more about the V-Zone Flobeds in post #4 here. Overall, Iā€™ll leave any specific zoning suggestions to your more detailed conversations with them. They would be a much better source of guidance than I am. Donā€™t forget that they do this every day and you also have the option of reconfiguring layers if for some reason their ā€œbest effortsā€ turn out not to be ideal for you.

Iā€™m not sure if you want to read a bit more about zoning systems (Iā€™m not trying to drive you down the ā€œrabbit holeā€ of information overload), but there is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to. Also, look at post #2 here and post #7 here (talks about the unique latex monozone properties).

Thereā€™s also a good thread on a zoning experiment of a site member here. Thereā€™s some information about reverse zoning here.

Iā€™ll be interested in learning what you decide to do, and if you end up going with a zoned system.

Phoenix