Warranty Claim Credit towards Sealy/Stearn's & Foster

We have a mattress that was accepted for a warranty claim at the Bay in Canada. It was for a Beautyrest due to deep indentations. Reading several posts here and our personal experience we want to avoid another Beautyrest. Thus we were given a credit of $600 that could only be used towards a new set. Ideally we wanted to stay under $1500 for the King set. I would go elsewhere but have a budget and credit that is locked towards the set.

From my research, we wanted a firm tight top pocket coil mattress with minimal amounts of foam. Possibly add a latex topper (if we find it too firm): found some around $600-900 online. We are heavy (200 lbs. +) side/back sleepers and I sleep hot. After looking online and trying almost every mattress (except the online exclusive mattresses), I have narrowed it down to 3.

1. Sealy Posturepedic Plus Fairmont Deluxe Extra firm-$1600: Pros- comfortable, under budget so if topper needed could be purchased; Cons- foam encased, not sure of specifications aside from coil count of 1330
  2. Sealy Posturepedic Fairmont Luxury Firm-$2140: Pros- edge-to-edge coils + micro-coils for support = 1849; Cons- I felt as if I was about to roll off the bed, when lying on the edge. Associate mentioned that was due to the coils retracting and allowing relief of pressure off of joints. The feel was slightly softer (not sure if this is really a con) compared to the Fairmont Deluxe. Also not sure of specifications like coil gauge and thickness of layers of foam. Thus, the edge to edge on paper was nice, but in practice didn’t seem like it was what I was looking for.
  3. Stearn’s & Foster Montblanc Luxury Firm-$3249 Pros- most comfortable/probably won’t purchase a mattress topper, excellent edge support, edge-to-edge coils= 1954, apparently there is a layer of latex but who knows how thick, several people here stand by them; Cons- out of budget/2x the price of the Fairmont Deluxe (I don’t think it was 2x the mattress, I understand they are using premium materials/comfort layers, but that is not what I need).

Thus I am leaning towards the Fairmont Deluxe, even though I found the Montblanc to be the better mattress. My only issue is the longevity of the Fairmont Deluxe, especially because it is foam encased, foam comfort layers, foam support layers, QC issue, and unsure of Sealy’s Warranty. Even with the price of a topper it was less than the Montblanc. I never purchased/used a Latex topper so that would also be a gamble.

Anyway if anyone here has any thoughts on these mattresses that would be great! I am aiming to purchase this week as the credit will soon expire.

Sealy Posturepedic Fairmont Luxury Firm- $2140

had looked up these mattress toppers:

1. MFC Organic Latex 3" Topper-Medium Firm-$709
  2. Naturelle Organic Latex Toppers 3"-30-34 ILD Medium Firm-$778
  1. Go Rest Sky3 Organic Latex Topper 3"-32 ILD Medium- $1099
  2. Silk & Snow Organic Mattress Topper 2"-Medium-$349: seems a bit thin, not sure of quality

MFC & Naturelle seem to be the front runners. However, I have no experience with mattress toppers or latex.

Hi Moos,
Welcome to TMU. So, there are a lot of ways to look at this. First is your credit. I don’t really want to use the word “only” but if you wouldn’t mind, let’s consider the credit. It is $600. You are looking at mattresses from 1600 to 3300. Consider that for a minute and let it sink in a bit.
I am not very familiar with the Canadian Market. Perhaps trusted member MFC Canada could offer better advice in that regard.

Here is how I would view the entire picture, just my observation. My last mattress prior to the one I have had for about a year, was a Sealy Posturepedic ultra firm pillow top for about 11 years. No complaints, until it died.

When looking for a new mattress, I did the usual rounds, BR, S&F, Sealy, Serta, Aireloom, Shifman, TP, King Koil and several others. I ended up passing on all of them.
The one thing that you will find with the BR, S, S and S&F of the world, is they don’t tell you what the heck is in them, so you can’t really compare them. I implore people all the time, to compare the final 2, 3 or 4 choices on the computer screen side by side, layer by layer, and look how the mattresses are constructed. Does it make sense?

Does it have edge to edge coils (my preference) foam encased, how much Memory Foam, what’s the density, HD foam, is it at least 18 lbs. Are they using microcoils. MC are good if they are well made at least an 1-1.5" or perhaps a little more; they are there to replace a heat producing MF layer; not simply to add the “10 million” coil count, to make the mattress seem special, and the darn things are .25" or .50". At that size they are just there gratuitously and are not affecting the mattress in any meaningful way.

I really don’t think mattress purchases can based solely on cost any more, at least from the Big Boys of yesteryear fame. You will sometimes see similar mattresses from the same company, one is 1500 another is 5500 and often you will read off site complaints they are failing in the same way. So whether Brand X is 1500 or $5500, it most of the components are the same, modestly different, or worse, unidentifiable, if one is going to fail, the other will be close behind. It just stings more when it is the higher priced one, making you wonder, “what the heck was I thinking buying this thing in the first place.” Any mattress is subject to fail, for many reasons. Bad components, poor construction, bad employee day at the factory, you name it.

Ok, you get my boring monologue.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say the fact that MFC a trusted member here at TMU (and I don’t know them from Adam as they say), can produce a product that not only is better quality than the 3 finalists, but more economical with better customer service. I would probably guess, that their upper tier mattresses that use natural materials, quality coils, and can match something to you and your significant other with a mattress that will outlast anything that you have been looking at. I am not suggesting for you to forfeit your $600 credit. But, if you can find a manufacture that can produce for you, or has something that is part of their current line up of mattresses available, a better mattress that meets all of your PPP’s and weigh requirements, offers great customer service, and wont screw you over, that is where I would want to be.

Chances are as compared to the S&F; you will be saving more than that $600 credit you have at Bay (I assume that is the name of the store).

If it were me, I would take the $600 and buy pillows, sell the credit, give it to a relative for their birthday or wedding gift, you will know best on how to use it differently and creatively than to dump it into another mattress. One that will cost more, may or may not work (and put you in the same position you are in now) and if you are like me, want to start the windmill of proverbial punches.

I can address, or perhaps, one of the other members can address and compare the 3 choices you have narrowed down to, but I felt it was more important to view this from a different perspective.

Some members, just as importantly, like to jump in and start to evaluate each layer on a technical level, ie, 4lb and 5lb density memory foam, 1.8lb minimum on HD foams, coil gauge, and so on. While at the same time, matching it to the relationship of your PPP’s and such. Generally this is a competent 1st step in approaching the purchase of a new mattress. When I read your dilemma, I felt it was important to view this from a different angle.

No disrespect meant in anyway, regarding the credit and I am not saying to throw $600 away, just trying to figure out how you can better spend your funds and be a happier sleeper at the end of the day. I didn’t want you to be compelled to purchase a mattress from an establishment that may not have something suitable for your needs and make another mattress mistake.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I just wanted to give you an outsider perspective.

When I have a moment, I will take a peek at the 3 finalists you have in mind to date. In the mean time, take a peek at MFC or one of the other Canadian Independents, if any, just to see what the competition has to offer.
Norm

1 Like

Moos,
Can this be the mattress you are looking at? The Bay is selling it for a lot less than your quoted, unless there is a different version.
Montblanc Luxury Firm King $2049
Unless it is a different location or company!
Norm

Yes! That is it! This sale started today, I checked this morning as well. The price I quoted was for the Mattress & Boxspring Set. The set is now 2399 so $850 off! Much closer to my budget. I will go in today to make a decision. Unless the price drops again for next weekend, as Canada has also adopted Black Friday.

1 Like

BlockquoteWhen looking for a new mattress, I did the usual rounds, BR, S&F, Sealy, Serta, Aireloom, Shifman, TP, King Koil and several others. I ended up passing on all of them.
The one thing that you will find with the BR, S, S and S&F of the world, is they don’t tell you what the heck is in them, so you can’t really compare them. I implore people all the time, to compare the final 2, 3 or 4 choices on the computer screen side by side, layer by layer, and look how the mattresses are constructed. Does it make sense?

Yes!! I’m glad I was doing something right in my research! This is exactly how I have been looking up mattresses. I actually tried to price match the S&F with another store but the associate would not budge over a layer of latex.

Thank you for the insight! I too prefer coil encased. From my experience the S&F was the most comfortable and ticked the most boxes for me. The price was unjustifiable for me. I can understand why it was priced that way (materials, craft, advertising, etc.). But the Sealy fit my budget. I am just not sure about latex as a topper. Many people swear by it. But I have never laid on it. However, due to recent price drop I may go for S&F depending what my partner thinks as far as comfort. Even with the discount there is a $1000 difference. Also not sure how lenient warranty is even though both are under Sealy. I will see tonight/next time I see the associate with my partner.

1 Like

Remember the S&F is not perimeter encased coils, it appears to be an edge to edge coil with enhanced perimeter coils. Personally, I think that is better and will last longer. With that price reduction, it does take out a lot of the sting. Go back, lay on it again for a good 20-30 minutes. See if your impression the second time around was just as good. Good luck with it!

Dont let them forget to give you the $50 in HB credits!

1 Like

Yes, agreed. I will lay on it with my partner and decide. If the comfort is too similar to the Sealy I will probably go for the Sealy even though I prefer edge-to-edge coils as the foam is the first to fail. However, if I remember S&F did have much better motion isolation. Anyway tonight it shall be decided…hopefully.

1 Like

Both the Sealy and S&F have edge to edge coil with reinforced edge coil construction. Sealy Fairmont Luxury Firm

My only extra opinion is those micro coils in the lumbar region. If they are anything like what Beautyrest’s use, they will work against you, not for you. It looks like they are about a 1/2" which quite honestly is very uninspiring. Remember, a mattress is only as good as its weakest layer. When that weak link goes, everything else will react and there is nothing that can reverse the failure.

The one thing I missed the first time around is that you are both over 200lbs. If you remember me talking about my experience, I was 250 at the time and now 220. Once you are in that weight class, in my mind it changes things. The importance of an exceptionally good support spring layer plays a much larger role in this play.

It is important to take 5 and contact Tempur/Sealy and ask some questions about the gauge of the springs, density of the foams, and flat out ask them, if they recommend these two units for larger folks.

The reviews I have read over recent years do not seem to be a favorable team of some of the S&F or Sealy’s, BR and larger folks. Before you make any decision, I would have a talk with them and ask them (not your salesperson) what the best mattress is they make for two side sleepers over 200lbs+. I would be curious if you would get an answer that is coherent. I am not trying to be pessimistic, as I was leaning towards that S&F at that $2000 price tag minus your $600 credit. I could see where it would make sense for you. But you threw in the curve ball. And now we really don’t know a lot about any of these mattresses’ technical features, other than that Sealy has uninspiring micocoils.

Please, take a breather, and work on it for one more day and try to gather some more information.

Best of luck to you,

Norm

I mentioned this trusted member from the Canadian market. I did not carefully review this link, but on the surface, it articulates building a mattress for larger side sleepers. Just as a point of reference. Remember, you can remove a solid foam core and replace it with a good quality spring support layer and get similar, if not better results long term for larger folks. It is all about the quality.

MFC Heavier Sleepers

1 Like

I won’t be able to go in today anyway.

The Fairmont Luxury was my top choice as soon as I found out I was eligible for the warranty claim. It ticked most boxes for me as well (edge-to-edge coils, tight top, etc.). However, when I went in store to try it out, it was lacking edge support. I felt as if I was about to roll off. Thus, was my love/hate relationship with Fairmont Luxury. Love the specs but did not translate well into practice for me.

I had contacted S&F, Sealy, Serta to gather information on their mattress construction. S&F just referred to me to their website, even though I mentioned I could not gather any more information from their website aside for the fact there is 4" of Premium Gel Foam. I did see a video where a mattress manufacturer opens up the Estate and he measured the springs to be about 8" tall. Thus 1.75" of this mattress could be the latex, prima sense foam, and quilt layer. Sealy and Serta still have not replied. Thanks for the advice will call and ask S&F directly.

When I had asked the associate he mentioned the Sealy used 13.75 gauge coils. That’s all he responded to about Sealy. For S&F he mentioned the coils use a double coil system.

Thanks again for all your insight!

1 Like

I mentioned this trusted member from the Canadian market. I did not carefully review this link, but on the surface, it articulates building a mattress for larger side sleepers. Just as a point of reference. Remember, you can remove a solid foam core and replace it with a good quality spring support layer and get similar, if not better results long term for larger folks. It is all about the quality.

MFC Heavier Sleepers

Thanks, I had come across this post and MFC during my research. I’ll call tomorrow Sealy and S&F to see if I can get any more information for heavy side sleepers.

1 Like

13.75g coils are substantial! Generally pocketed coils in the 13’s is considered a strong foundation as a base for a firm mattress and a supporting mattress. Naturally there are other coil factors, but most if the time, it is a good foundation to build upon. So that is positive. Now on to the foams!

1 Like

So I contacted customer service. They said our weight would be supported on either mattresses (I eliminated the Fairmont Luxury). They were not allowed to give any more specific information than what was already on their and the Bay’s website.

Now I will try out the mattress one last time before making a decision as my warranty claim window will expire soon.

1 Like

Good luck the final decision. Glad the forum was able to give you a bit of insight. Hopefully, it will all work out in the end!
Norm

1 Like

Hey we went with the S&F!

Still not sure if we should have got the pillow top (better for side sleepers but another 1.5" of foam on top compared to tight top). I am just afraid of the foam degrading too quickly. So not sure if I should stick with what I have and order the latex topper or change to pillow top.

1 Like

Congratulations on the new mattress! Yay! You must be excited!! Did you get that great price the we saw simultaneously? Probably better off without the PT. You can always add a topper if necessary. I think your fears are well founded. Hope you love it. Use it in good health!
Norm

1 Like

Thanks yes! Can’t wait as this mattress has become painful.

I guess I will wait it out and try the mattress for about a month before deciding to add a topper. I just wasn’t sure as both my partner and I found the PT more comfortable.

I will stick with my original plan with adding a latex topper should it be too firm. I never used a topper so I have no idea which will be best for our weight and side sleep position. Also, some have no return policies.

1 Like