Advice for purchased mattress within return period

Hi,

I’m new to this forum. I’ve spent quite a bit of time reading several posts and articles including this post, this post, and how to find you perfect mattress including the overviews. The wealth of information is incredible and invaluable. I’m very grateful to all of those who put time into building this site and providing this information. Unfortunately, I purchased a mattress prior to learning this great information. We have only another week to return the mattress if we’re not happy. I’m hoping someone can give me a bit of guidance on what to do now. Here’s my situation:

Background Leading to Mattress Purchase
My wife and I were sleeping on a Serta which we purchased about 10 years ago. The Serta is an innerspring unit with 61% polyurethane foam and single-sided pillow top. I really like the “feel” of the mattress due to the soft comfort layer. I’m 5’10" @ 140 lbs. and primarily sleep on my side although I occasionally sleep on my back. My wife is also primarily a side sleeper (5’5" and 175 lbs). After 10 years, I was starting to notice some back pain but only during bending over a certain way or sitting on a bench and leaning on my knees for 5+ minutes. My wife though was having back pain even standing. It was more intense in the mornings and faded as the day progressed.

For our anniversary, we stayed at Blackberry Farms and slept really well. We attributed it to the bed although in hindsight it could have been due to being on vacation, relaxed yet active during the day. We learned that Blackberry sold the bed although it was quite expensive.

Mattress Purchase
When Blackberry had a Cyber Monday deal, we jumped on the offer. Although it was still very expensive, we were willing to pay for what we hoped would give us the sleep we experienced there and would be a very high quality mattress. We briefly considered getting just the mattress (as they sell that) but then they recommended to get the sleep kit which included a mattress topper and pillows to replicate the bed at the farm.

Mattress Initial Assessment
When the bed arrived, we were excited but it seemed much firmer than we remembered. Perhaps, the bed at the farm was a few years old and had been broken-in.

Mattress Current Assessment
In the first week, we had a hard time getting comfortable and it took awhile to fall asleep. In general, our sleep was not good; we woke up several times in the middle of the night and were tired during the day. Both of our back pain had improved though (especially hers). We’re now in our third week, and our sleep is improving (both in terms of getting to sleep and staying asleep) although I still find it much less comfortable than our old bed. Some nights neither one of us sleep very well on it but other nights we do better or even very good. And on a huge plus-side my wife’s back pain is much better!

Next Steps?
With all that I’ve learned here, I’m concerned if we’re making the right decision with this mattress. It surely would have been disqualified from a “feel” perspective (through steps 1 and 2 here. I’m also concerned about durability. I don’t know anything about the layers including the topper and the materials in those layers (other than the Blackberry Farm site stating natural latex). I found the mattress is a Nature’s Spa mattress made by Paramount. So, based on other posts about Paramount, I’m concerned if I’ll be able to actually obtain any information about the construction and quality of materials.

Although things are improving, I’m wondering if we should keep it. Could we expect to find a mattress that can reduce our (especially my wife’s) back pain as this one has done plus offer the comfort that I really liked on the old mattress? I worry if we return this one if that it may also take too much time to find another one… although I have some time to research my wife has less time to do so.

Instead of making a decision now, should we maybe ask for a trial period extension? The return policy is only 30 days.

Based on our profiles (BMIs noted above, side sleepers with some back sleeping, my softness preference in comfort layer, back pain, early 50s, in Memphis, prefer mattress that stays cool), is there a certain mattress type / materials that generally works best and a good place we could go to find a great mattress? We’re also open to traveling, using an independent consultant, or ordering online to find a mattress that is best for us.

Many thanks in advance for reading this long post and help in providing guidance.

Thank you for your questions and I will do my best to help you. First thing I would do is contact the company and ask for a trial extension and tell them if they don’t give you another 30 days then you will need to return it. I’m sure they will give you another 30 days but make sure you get it in writing or an email.
Once that is done try to find out the complete specs of the mattress you have and respond back. Without knowing the complete construction I cannot answer many of your questions. Perhaps if you contact Paramount directly they might be able to tell you. You can also take a picture of the Law Tag which tells you what is inside the mattress. Post it here so I can see it.

Thank you for your response. I’ve attached photos of the mattress tag (one full photo and one close up of the material percentages) and a photo of the mattress topper tag.

Thank you for the photos. I was able to find the specs online and based on what I learned I can tell you that the mattress will get softer and softer over time until you lose the support part of the mattress. The base core is just poly foam, then a layer of micro coils, then latex, then a bunch of more poly foam over the top and in the quilted cover. These top layers will continue to soften and then you will get the same impressions that most other mattresses get. The latex benefits are rendered useless because of how far down they are in the mattress build. This is just my opinion so if you keep the bed make sure you read the warranty carefully and keep it on file because you may need it in a couple of years.

Thank you for providing your expertise on this matter. We paid quite a bit of money for the mattress and would expect a durable product. I’m not very satisfied with the comfort now (I like softer comfort layers) and it sounds like we’ll lose the support over time. So, it seems the best course of action is to return. Thanks again for your guidance.

Any suggestions based on our profiles for a new mattress?

Latex will sleep cooler than memory foams so that’s the first place to start. I would try searching your area for someone who carries latex mattresses so you can get a good feel for them. They do come in many different configurations so make note of what you like and then do some comparison shopping online. Having one with a zippered cover like our Adjustable Ultra Plush #1 Selling Latex Mattress- Adjustable Ultra Plush, Latex Mattresses-Talalay and Dunlop, All Products, is a big bonus because it allows you to make changes if it’s not just right. Something most mattresses can’t offer which is why you are returning the one you have now.

Thank you for your insights. I’m glad to know that you have an adjustable mattress that could work well for us. We’re going to find a local store to try latex mattresses as you suggested. Would you mind sharing the link to where you found the specs to the Blackberry Farms Paramount Nature’s Spa mattress?

Sure, here’s the link - Nature’s Spa® - Paramount Sleep Company®

[quote=“logicg8” post=83985]
Although things are improving, I’m wondering if we should keep it. Could we expect to find a mattress that can reduce our (especially my wife’s) back pain as this one has done plus offer the comfort that I really liked on the old mattress? I worry if we return this one if that it may also take too much time to find another one… although I have some time to research my wife has less time to do so.

Based on our profiles (BMIs noted above, side sleepers with some back sleeping, my softness preference in comfort layer, back pain, early 50s, in Memphis, prefer mattress that stays cool), is there a certain mattress type / materials that generally works best and a good place we could go to find a great mattress? We’re also open to traveling, using an independent consultant, or ordering online to find a mattress that is best for us.

Many thanks in advance for reading this long post and help in providing guidance.[/quote]

I will start out with the fact that I’m not an expert but I can absolutely sympathize with your situation as I just went through it myself. I too was having trouble with hammocking in my old bed and of course every hotel I stayed at and slept well I checked the mattress to note the make/model. I eventually settled on a Simmons Beautyrest but that very expensive bed didn’t even last me a full year. Not to be defeated I was researching hotel bed construction (with a goal to build my own) I realized that while there may be some slightly better materials in the hotel mattresses the reality was that since beds are no longer flippable (that went away in the early 2000’s with the introduction of the pocket coil) using a bed at home really was much more severe service than a hotel. The reason for this is that hotels see many different shapes/sizes of people sleeping in different positions and the hotel rooms are not always even occupied versus at home we sleep in the same place/position on the bed night after night for years.

So getting back to your own situation you and your wife have very different BMIs (we had the same problem) and this is why trying to find just the right bed from a store to fit both people perfectly is like a bad game of whack-a-mole. While a 2" soft latex topper could help slightly, personally, I would just extend the trial on your current mattress with the goal of using it while you look for another solution. The answer to your question “Could we expect to find a mattress that can reduce our (especially my wife’s) back pain as this one has done plus offer the comfort that I really liked on the old mattress?” is a resounding yes, BUT you will likely have to build it yourself (it starts with a zippered mattress cover). Now not everyone may want to attempt this so there may be some compromise involved if you decide not to go that route. The issue nowadays is that the quality of mattresses you buy at the chain stores these days are absolutely terrible compared to what was available even just a decade ago. Even the specialty mattresses available online (bed-in-a-box) are also a hit and miss since everyone is different (height, weight, BMI, sleeping positions, medical issues, etc) and they are typically not adjustable at home. The only way to really check all the boxes and get something that will last IMHO is to DIY. There’s alot of very helpful vendors on here that can help with selection of materials to try but I’ve put a link below in case you want to see what finally worked for me and how I did it.

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/simmons-beautyrest-mattress-rebuild

Thank you for providing the link.

Hi mattrebuild,

Thanks for sharing your similar situation and letting me know how you solved for it. We’re definitely leaning more towards a customized solution. I’m not sure if we’re quite ready to take on building a DIY mattress yet, but if we eventually do, your information will prove very valuable. As a close first step, we’re thinking about going with a retailer that offers a zippered latex mattress with split sides where we can customize the layers per side. Thanks again for providing the information and reading through my posts.

My pleasure

[color=black]Hi Ken Hightower,
Thank you again for your research on the Paramount Nature’s Spa that I purchased. In a previous post you mentioned:

I reviewed the content at the link you provided, www.paramountsleep.com/natures-spawww.paramountsleep.com/natures-spa. I read about the layers that you mentioned. Is it the type of layers or the order in which they are positioned that will lead durability / softening issues? Or is it the quality of one or more the layers that will cause issues? Sorry to bother, but just curious about what causes this mattress to have durability issues. Thanks.
[/color]

The softer the foam, the less durability you get. Quilting foam is almost always very soft and the #1 source of body impressions. Poly foam or memory foam does not have the same durability as latex foam because it’s usually much less dense.

Thank you for the additional information. I asked Paramount about the poly foam density of the mattress and they state it is 1.95. Is that density low enough to where it would cause problems in a couple of years? I’m not sure about the specifics on the quilting foam, but I could try to get more details from them if that makes a difference.

1.95 will be for the base foam and there is nothing wrong with that. It’s the top layers that cause the issues.