Are pocket coil hybrids noisy or squeaky In hybrid bed with latex layers on top of coils?

e.g. L&P in APM with latex toppers)
i’m putting together an Arizona Premium Mattress
hybrid Queen sized, 8" Pocket coils, with one 2" dunlop firm or medium
and one 2" talalay soft sealed into their organic cotton
mattress cover.

The coil spring unit is pre-owned and has
about 8 years of use (under latex topper)
And then been stored for a year or two.

I’ve been researching every aspect, then suddenly remembered
the reason i’ve virtually never used mattresses with springs: the noise.

I’ve tended to sleep on traditional japanese solid cotton-batting futons atop 2" tatami
mats and they produce zero noise, but wanted to get something
much softer as my arthritis, with age, has called for such.
Feedback?

Hi,
I’m not sure of your weight etc. Have you thought of a latex core(6-inch) instead of springs? I would also suggest maybe 3-inch topper - again depending on your weight. I built my own using products from Arizona Premium Mattress and could not be happier Feedback on First DIY Build - #8 by DaveStan

I wouldn’t hesitate to give them a call and discuss your needs/requirements.

1 Like

Hey Rorchondriac,
Thanks for your question and welcome to TMU.
@DaveStan makes a great suggestion as it comes from personal experience and has clearly been there and done that!

As far as noisy springs go. I was hoping @Arizona_Premium was going to get to this, but I will give you my prospective. Usually Bonnell springs have more of an opportunity to be noisy or any continuous spring unit with helix wire and border wires stabilizing the system. when you get that metal against metal friction, that opens the door for noise.

Most individually encased pocketed springs, unless the encasement is worn out, tend to be extremely quiet as there is no place to create the noise. Since you are building the mattress yourself, you can do a visual inspection of the spring unit.

Perhaps @Arizona_Premium has more to add on this, but I am fairly sure you have nothing to worry about. The only issue I can foresee, is the fact the spring unit is 8 years old. Only you know the history of the unit and if there were kids using it as a trampoline or it got twisted up in a home move, or are developing fatigue in any way. You would not want a bad section of springs to cause depressions in you new set up.
Hopefully, this helps,
All the best,
Norm

The coil unit appears to be a pocket coil and not a traditional coil. You should have no issues with the pocket coil spring which have virtually no noise to them

1 Like

Thanks Arizona_Premium for your reply!!! Looking forward to finishing the set up!

Thanks Maverick for the very informative response. And for the welcome! There were, to my knowledge, no kids doing trampoline, or trauma to the mattress. It has been stored rolled up for a year or two but I recently had sent photos of it to APM and they thought it would be fine. They seem to be a high integrity company. I ordered an Organic Cotton Cover for it (their “vegan” alternative with a layer of compressed rayon as opposed to wool. i have a slight potential wool allergy… which likely would not cause a problem, but will give the rayon internal layer a try despite the benefits of wool). This is a great site. The person helping me get this going recommended it.

1 Like

Yep, @Arizona_Premium is one of the best and most knowledgeable as all of our TM’s are. They have a vested interest in your success as there are real people behind the curtains and not just a big retail conglomerate, with pre-written scripts to answer/not answer your personalized questions.

Please follow up with your progress and let us know how it turns out. Your success
can help others lead to theirs.

All the best,

Maverick (Norm)

Oh yeah, no crowd dive surfing on the mattress, LOL

Thanks again, Maverick! I will follow up! Is there a section here on “wedges” that go under pillows to raise one’s head? I have used one for a half dozen years and curious if there is info and or expertise here on such? I imagine that would also mean a section on pillows as I see many offered by the mattress mfgs. I’m running out of money for more purchases (as I still have one more latex topper to acquire) but it’s good to start researching in advance regarding pillows or wedges. Thanks again!

1 Like

Rory,
I do not have an answer yet about the wedge pillow question. I will do some research and get back to you on that. Interesting question. On second thought, my friend Ben sells these. Duh!
Malouf Wedge Pillow
I have a malouf dough gel zoned pillow as part of my large pillow collection. Malouf makes some nice products. Their active dough and dough pillows feel something like a mix of latex and memory foam.

I confirmed we do not yet have a “wedge” section but you can take a look at this in our website here at TMU. Pluses and Minus’s of angled sleep

Mattress Foundations a trusted member who changed their name recently from US Box Spring is rumored to improving their foundations to be able to be raised thus act as an wedge. Mattress Foundations -Formerly U.S. Box Spring I don’t yet see it on their site, but if you call them and inquire, I would bet they would let you know when it will be available. Just another option to consider!

Always here to help!

Norm

Maverick, Thanks again so much… I’ll check these options out, although i would not switch to a mattress that folds up, at this time, but maybe in future years. But I’ll check the other resources you named!!!

1 Like

DaveStan, thanks for your feedback!!! I already have the pre-owned pocket-coil unit from APM, and one 2" talalay (soft) topper. thus my decisions are evolving out of that reality. My current intention is buying another 2" latex topper, probably Dunlop medium or firm. And, Yes! APM has been giving me quite a bit of feedback on my way-too-many questions. They seem to be able to comprehend my overwordy and ignorant questions and cut to the core with specific concise and very helpful responses.

2 Likes

Hi Rorchondriac,

Yes, Ken is always helpful and I trust his recommendations. I wish you the best and sleep well :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks DaveStan!!! this is a fascinating world in itself.

1 Like

Noted!!! :grinning: :laughing: :grinning:
A lot to learn here!

1 Like