Dunlop and Talalay Latex-Difference between manufacturers?

I am interested to know if there is consistency in latex foam firmnesses between latex manufacturers. For example, is the Saavy Rest Firm Dunlop an equal firmness to the Sleep Ez Firm Dunlop and so forth.
I know from my extensive research that I want a King size natural latex mattress using the Dunlop latex process. I do not want synthetic or blended latex although it does not have to be “Organic” unless that is the only way I feel I can make sure the latex is not blended.
I would like to have customizable layers and the option to split layers for husband/wife preference. I am leaning toward a total mattress thickness of 10-13 inches. Both of us are between 180-200 lbs and between 5’5" and 5’10".
I will be buying online and am trying to choose between manufacturers. My dilemma…
Flobeds does not advertise Dunlop latex, only Talalay layers. Could you confirm?
Plush beds seems to have one of the best exchange/return policies although unclear on whether an exchange of layers is really free, and it seems that you cannot choose Dunlop for all layers and or utilize split layers. Hard to tell from website just how customizable they are.
Sleep Ez has very good prices and good customization and choice of latex and a flat fee for exchange but not sure of the quality compared to the others. Website does not breakdown the layers and show much of the bed construction details. Mattress covers look less nice than the other websites. We only have 1 mattress dealer for latex in our 12563 area code and that was Saavy Rest. Wonderful but too expensive.
Do you have any recommendations or advice? Like many this is a big financial step.
Many thanks

Hi AlaskaGirl,

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with such as Savvy Rest) than anyone else.

Neither Savvy Rest or SleepEZ manufacture their own latex but there is more about comparing ILD’s between different types and blends of latex in post #6 here. If you are comparing two layers of 100% natural molded Dunlop that are the same thickness then if they are the same density they will also be comparable in terms of ILD even if they are from different Dunlop manufacturers. If you are comparing different blends of latex or different types of latex to each other then ILD or density comparisons won’t be as closely comparable.

There is also more about certified organic Dunlop latex in post #6 here and the posts it links to.

Yes … Flobeds offers the choice between 100% natural Talalay and blended Talalay. Their 100% natural Talalay is sourced from the same company as Savvy Rest uses for their Talalay options (Radium in Holland) but the design and layering of their mattresses are different from Savvy Rest.

You can see some comments about Plushbeds in post #2 here and a forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and comments/feedback about them as well. I would keep in mind that their “sale” prices are always in effect so they would be their “regular” price not a “sale” price (see post #9 here). They certainly use good quality materials and would be a “better than average” choice compared to most mainstream mattresses but I would make some careful “value comparisons” with some of the other latex options that are available to you. They also don’t list any mattresses that use 100% natural Dunlop comfort layers … only 100% natural Talalay.

While I don’t have any specific suggestions … the mattress shopping tutorial here includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell component latex mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including organic Dunlop in some cases) and have many different options, features, designs, and return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering if you are comfortable with an online purchase. I think highly of all of them and several of them make component latex mattresses that are very similar in terms of the materials, components, and design to the Savvy Rest latex mattresses but are in lower budget ranges. Post #3 here may be helpful as well.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here.

You may not have read all the pages on their site but SleepEZ does include specific information about all their component mattresses on their website. In their Natural Select line you have the option of either 100% natural Dunlop or blended Talalay in any of their layers and have a choice of 4 firmness levels for each layer. The cover is natural cotton quilted to natural wool. In the Organic Select line you have the choice of 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay in a choice of 4 firmness levels for each layer. The cover is organic cotton quilted to organic wool. The bottom of the SleepEZ cover is an organic cotton woven fabric but isn’t the same type of fabric as the top surface and doesn’t contain any quilting because it isn’t meant to sleep on. There are some comments about it here and here.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Patterson, NY area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked) are listed in Post #2 here.

Post #2 here also has a few other options in the other direction (centered on Middletown, NY) but I think your better local options are in the CT list.

Phoenix