latex brands and stuff

Hi
Im just trying to work this all out…ugg
Is there really a big difference between organic gols latex, regular unblended latex and green latex?
Im so so very confused.
Im just wondering if there is a big difference in materials used to make them…they all have the oekotex papers. Of course I don’t want a mattress made with dangerous chemicals but I also wonder, is all unblended latex not natural anyway?
Im looking at a few gols mattresses by different companies and also the green latex from sleeponlatex. I was also looking into the latex from foambymail, it is a better price with shipping for me but I have concerns with it as they say they cant tell me where it is made, only that it is made in Europe. Maybe someone here has some info on them for me.
Any advice would be great.

Hi pennies,

[quote]Is there really a big difference between organic gols latex, regular unblended latex and green latex?
Im so so very confused.[/quote]

The choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and any type or blend of latex is a durable material relative to other types of foam materials. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about how Dunlop compares to Talalay in general in post #7 here but the best way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own testing and/or your own personal experience.

All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, or C2C and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s.

Most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

Both Talalay and Dunlop come in 100% natural versions but 100% natural Dunlop is more common than 100% natural Talalay. I would also keep in mind that 100% natural latex means that all the rubber used in the latex foam compounding formulation is natural rubber (vs synthetic rubber) but there are also small amounts of other substances used in the formulation to foam and manufacturer the latex. There is more about 100% natural latex in post #18 here).

If you are considering ordering from Foambymail (AKA FBM or Foam Factory and other names as well) then I would read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything or considering them as a reliable supplier that provides accurate information about their foam products.

If you are looking for latex layers rather than a complete mattress then the better online sources I’m aware of for mattress materials and components (including latex) are listed in post #4 here.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Outside of any local options that may be available to you … the mattress shopping tutorial includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (which is one of several links to different online lists in the optional online step in the tutorial) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including organic latex) that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be worth considering. Post #3 here also includes a list of online manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses online as well.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

If you are also considering local choices then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks for the help!

Im thinking of doing a DIY with core from sleeponlatex. Does anyone know who their latex supplier is? When I ask they just tell me made in Sir Lanka, but I’m curious who the actual maker of the latex is still.

Hi pennies,

If you are considering a DIY approach then post #6 here and the posts it links to would be worth reading.

The name of their supplier isn’t really meaningful or relevant and there are many suppliers or mattress manufacturers that prefer to keep the name of their suppliers proprietary for competitive reasons. Many manufacturers or suppliers will also change their suppliers from time to time based on market conditions without affecting the quality, performance, or durability of their mattresses. The type and blend of latex is much more important than the name of the latex manufacturer that produces it and any 100% natural Dunlop that comes from Sri Lanka will be a good quality material and 100% natural Dunlop latex that comes from different suppliers will be closely comparable so it’s not something that I would be concerned about since it won’t affect the quality, durability, value, or performance of their mattresses or components.

Phoenix