Mattress vs topper vs?

Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond Series Medium Queen Mattress vs Helix Midnight?

I’m planning to keep the mattress for ~2 years (I’ll be moving states after that). I need a queen mattress and I want to spend as little as possible but still have a very comfy bed. So my budget is say <$1700 but I want to spend as close to $1000 as possible.

Was also thinking of just getting a $600 one and really nice topper instead. Thoughts?

Any recs would be great!

Hi mattressbuyer1 and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Even for a few years, any mattress you decide in will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) and your PPP (posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).
You might want to take a look at the Mattress Shopping Tutorial to see how to find a great mattress outlet, as well as the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and compare these to the Mattress Durability Guidelinesto see how certain materials will last over time.

Without your Stats, it’s difficult to asses the mattresses listed; the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond medium queen has a high profile of 14.75", with comfort layers consisting of InfiniCool® Lux cover, 3/4" SurfaceTouch™ Gel Memory Foam, 1" RightTemp™ Wave Foam,1/2" Firm Comfort Foam, 1" Micro Diamond™ Memory Foam, and 2" Medium Comfort Foam, and T2 Pocket coils for support. Like many of the ‘big brands’, there is little transparency for the components, with proprietary foam formulas which have no information on density,
Making it especially difficult to assess for suitability of durability of any sleeper regardless of their Stats. Likewise the Helix Midnight Lux, at 13.5", has a Tencel or Glacio Tex cover, Responsive foam and copper gel memory foam comfort layers, MemoryPlus foam transition layer, with 1000 ct zoned coils of unknown gauge and thickness, and Duradense foam base. Again, many proprietary foam names with no details on composition. You can read more about the properties of memory foam from @Phoenix in this post.

If you are set on a memory foam mattress, we suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support.

For your budget - $1700 max but closer to $1000, many of the [Trusted Members] of the site offer memory/gel/polyfoam hybrids that are within your price range… GhostBed offers the GhostBed Flex 13" gel & memory foam hybrid that’s on sale at just under your max budget limit, and Texas Mattress Makers and Beloit Mattress Co. offer a number of memory foam hybrids at $1000 or less.

I would caution against a ‘cheap’ bed with a topper, as any memory foam mattress with an excess of inexpensive foam can prematurely ‘break down’ leaving worn areas which can cause muscle aches and pains and even alignment issues…you would be best served in finding a compatible good quality mattress that will hold up for the time you are art you’d current living space. I wish you success on your mattress search!

~ Basilio

Thanks very much for your helpful comment!! some stats that might be helpful: I’m a 20M, 5’9" and 160lbs. I actually do not prefer memory foam though would consider a hybrid, I like a spring mattress moire. I’m interested in a medium firmness (maybe just slightly on the softer side). I toss and turn a lot, and switch between back and side sleeping mostly.

I’ll look further into the resources here…it seems like I’ll have to go try in person and ordering online won’t be as good–so I plan to do that. Thanks again!!

Hi mattressbuyer1,

Thanks for your Stats! SAS you have a low BMI, you have a wide range of options for a suitable mattress. I discussed memory foam hybrids as that is the type of mattress you were looking at, both the Beautyrest and Helix.

Not sure what you mean by spring mattress …all ‘hybrids’ are mattresses with a foam (latex, memory foam, gel foam, polyfoam) comfort layer(s) with an innerspring support layer. A Box Spring can be used as a foundation.

If you don’t know what type of mattress you want, you can always test different types in person, creating a ‘short list’ of mattress types - foam latex, foam hybrid, latex hybrid etc. - you will then be able to better assess any online offerings. There are many mattresses well under your price point offered by the Trusted Members, for example; but if you keep the [Specifications You Need To Know] I and the [Mattress Durability Guidelines] in mind, you will be better informed to make a good choice based on your Stats and PPP. If you have any specific mattresses you have questions on, please let us know, and we can possibly comment on the suitability and durability for your sleep profile. A well informed consumer is the best consumer!

~ Basilio

Thank you, I was wondering if the Helix Midnight is a recommended mattress (and if the luxe is a worthwhile upgrade as it’s a lot of extra money even on sale)? How does this generally compare to the ghostbed flex hybrid you suggested and the beautyrest above in terms of customer satisfaction and overall comfort? Is there a better bang for the buck somewhere?

Hi mattressbuyer1,

Depends on what you’re looking for…since mattresses are such a personal choice, we don’t really recommend mattresses as every sleeper has their own Stats, PPP and sleep profile…we can only assess the suitability and durability of specific mattresses for a specific sleeper or sleepers.

The Helix, like the Beautyrest. Lacks transparency on the details of their products, like thickness, type of foam, and density for memory, gel or polyfoams used. And obfuscates things with lots of marketing jargon and nifty names for their foam formulas, which makes it almost impossible to assess them for a consumer; personally I avoid these, but many consumers continue to buy and enjoy them.

The GhostBed Flex
For example, while close to your maximum price point, very clearly identifies thickness and density of components,
like all of the Trusted Members of the site, trusting that clearly listing specifications allows consumers to make a better purchase. The other mattresses I listed are lower priced - but since you say you are not sure of memory foam, there are many other latex and latex hybrids available under $1000….if you enjoy the feel of latex.

Trying various mattress types at a local store is really the best way to determine what you feel most comfortable on…once you’ve done that you can focus on ‘dialing in’ the comfort level and pricing to see what your best options are. The Trusted Members of the site all have a great deal of experience matching consumers with their perfect mattress; unlike the Big Brands, who deal in volume sales, smaller manufacturers know that their reputation rests on every sale, and don’t want to just ‘move product’. You are asking the right questions, you just need to narrow down what will work best for your needs, as well as your wallet!

~ Basilio