Searching for Mattress in Metro Detroit area

Hello, I stumbled upon this site as I have begun a search for a replacement mattress. I have read some of the articles on mattress materials and construction to gain some insight on how to gauge quality.

So far, my girlfriend and I have been to the big furniture retailers in our area and so far the best mattress in terms of comfort has been the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze. Although it is a very nice mattress, it also costs an arm and a leg to obtain one. So I wanted to find other stores in the area to search for something comparable in comfort and quality. I do not really know where to look and was wondering if I could get some help looking for some places hopefully nearby?

We are in the Rochester Hills, MI area

Thank you, and this site is pretty great just to let you know :slight_smile:

Hi nimby,

It sounds to me like you are on step 3 in the guidelines in post #1 here which is a great place to be because it means you are ready and “armed” with the information you need to do some mattress testing :slight_smile:

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Detroit / Rochester hills area are listed in post #2 here.

There is also more about “mattress matching” in post #2 here and it’s usually more effective to try to “match” all the mattresses you test against the common set of standards that are linked there as well.

Thanks for the kind words … and if you need to validate any of the information you will encounter or have questions along the way feel free to post them here.

Phoenix

Thank you for the recommendations!

We did go to the place in Shelby Township, https://www.matt-to-go.com, as it was the closest feasible location to visit lol.

We tried out the Therapedic EcoGel mattresses as they were the closest to the Tempurpedic mattress we liked the most. Although they felt very similar (at least to me), I didn’t feel as if it cooled me quite as well as the Tempurpedic breeze did. The comfort was there though.

However, there were also Latex mattresses too and we tried those out. We actually found one that was very comfortable for us, which was this guy here, the Pure Touch Natural Rest Ultra Plush https://www.matt-to-go.com/natural_rest_ultra_plush.html

It was comfortable enough for me to have fallen asleep a little bit in store and my lower back also loosened up while laying on my back which was very nice.

I just wanted to get your opinion on the materials in the mattress as they look to be good quality but I don’t know a ton about the Latex or gel layer qualities. I did ask the owner about the core layers and polyurethane quilted top and was indicated that the top 1 1/2" layer is 1.8 lb HD and the core is HR foam.

Currently I am torn between this one and the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze. My main concern with the Therapedic at the moment is that I would get too hot on it as I have a tendency to overheat.

Hi Nimby,

Jeff at https://www.matt-to-go.com/ is one of the most knowledgeable and informed people I know in the industry and I would trust the information he provides about his mattresses which is “fact based”, transparent, and accurate. He also has a series of videos about mattress construction and all aspects of the the industry which is perhaps the most informative video series on the web about mattresses and mattress shopping and they are widely used to help educate consumers across the country. He is also a very “lean” retailer and operates with margins are lower than the norm which means that he also has good value and it also helps that he is a member of the site and provides a 5% discount to the forum members here.

The specs that are listed are good quality materials and design and if the mattress matches your needs and preferences then I think it would be a qood quality/value purchase without any obvious “weak links” in the mattress. Again though … I would trust what Jeff tells you as much as any information you receive here.

Tempurpedic is one of the “major brands” that are mentioned in the guidelines here and the first guideline suggests avoiding them. They use good quality materials but are poor value compared to other mattresses that have similar quality but are much better value.

There are many factors involved in the sleeping temperature of a mattress besides just the foam (see post #2 here) and there is also a difference between how cool a mattress feels in the short term when you touch it or when you are testing for shorter periods of time (gel materials which feel cooler until temperatures equalize) and how well it regulates temperature over the course of the night (which is more about the ventilation of a mattress). In general though … gel memory foam helps to cool down the tendency of some types of memory foam to sleep warmer for some people and are overall slightly cooler than many “regular” memory foams and there is probably a higher gel content in the Therapedic gel memory foam than there is in the Tempurpedic.

When you are dealing with many theoretical variables that all combine to contribute to sleeping temperature … sometimes the “best” way to assess its temperature regulation is with the feedback of a knowledgeable retailer who will have much more information about the “real life” experiences of their customers on the mattress you are looking at which can be more “accurate” than “theory”.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix