Selecting a new mattress

Hi all,

I’ve been poking around here reading for months now as my ‘The W’ mattress is going on 10 years old now and needs replacing. What is making this tricky is that I’m 6’5 250lbs and my GF is 5’3 110lbs. Adding to that, I’m mostly a back sleeper and she’s a side sleeper. So finding one mattress that supports both of our PPP’s is tough (but not impossible). Coming from an innerspring, we’ve been testing Latex and Memory foam as we are not sure which we like. We are both warm sleepers, which makes me nervous getting memory foam, but the GF likes the sinking feeling.

We are around Lansing MI and have been trying some of the non-name brands that are available to us here. I’ve been to the Mattress Source quite a few times, had a good time working with them, and the fact the beds are made here in Lansing. Unfortunately they don’t have many latex beds (the few they have are not great). We have been looking at the Foam X Firm and Plush, along with a new one called the Melrose. The Plush is a bit too soft for me as my hips sunk more than my upper back, while the firm was a bit too firm for me and way too firm for her. The Melrose doesn’t have a official spec sheet but it’s got 8" of 1.8lb foam and 2" of Gel foam. This is a bit different than the Foam X beds with cores of 2.3lb foam and 1.8lb foam. The Melrose is $700 cheaper, but I’m a bit worried about the 1.8lb core as reading here that is a lower quality which will degrade faster.

For latex beds, we first tried the Denver Mattress IChoice Latex. With the 3" top, it was way too soft for me throwing far out of PPP. My GF of course liked it. Taking the topper off was pretty comfortable though. We also stopped by the Sleep Doctor store, where they had 3 Latex beds with foam cores and 2 that were all latex. The salesman mentioned they were made by Restonic. We really like the firmer one that was all latex. The mattress tag said TheraSleep Latex Gold, looking online I can’t find anything with that name. And Restonic’s website doesn’t have much information either (I’m assuming the Healthrest line is what sleepdoctor rebranded). The salesman mentioned that they are a poured mold so it won’t have the seam in the middle for larger sizes.

I was hoping to learn more about the Restonic Latex as I’ve also looked into Brooklyn Bedding which has great reviews. I like the 120 return window but feel really uncomfortable ordering online when I don’t have a clue as to what level of latex softness I need.

Any suggestions, advise, or anything I’m missing?

Hi Warder45,

Most of the more general suggestions that I would consider to be most important are in the tutorial post here which I’m guessing you’ve probably read. If you follow all the steps one by one then your odds of success will be very high and of course if you have any more specific questions I’d be happy to answer them to the best of my ability as well.

In addition to those there are also some suggestions in post #3 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful for those in higher weight ranges.

Post #2 here has more about the many variables which can help you decide on the type of mattress and materials, mattress protector, and sheets and bedding that will likely be in a temperature range that you are comfortable with.

1.8 lb polyfoam is generally a good quality material but with higher weights I would tend to use 2.0 lb as a guideline. In a support core with thicker layers of foam above it that will absorb most of the compression forces it would probably be OK because the comfort layers are generally the weakest link in a mattress not the support core, but again a little higher density (in the 2 lb range or higher) would be better yet.

Most licensee groups such as Restonic (and for that matter most manufacturers in general) have very little specific information about their mattresses on their main websites because they make so many mattresses and many of them are only made for specific areas of the country or specific stores. I would always make sure that you find out the type and quality of the materials in any mattress you are considering no matter who the manufacturer may be (see this page) so that you can confirm that that mattress uses good quality materials relative to your weight (see the guidelines here). A mattress that would be durable for someone that was in a more average weight range or lighter may not be as durable for those that are in higher weight ranges or that have a body type where their weight is more concentrated in a specific area rather than more evenly distributed. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here (suitability is first, durability is second, and then the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

It’s unlikely that you will find a local mattress that is exactly the same as one of the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses (or any online mattress) and it’s also less likely that you will be able to find out the “comfort specs” of a local mattress because many if not most manufacturers don’t provide them and they aren’t necessary (the quality specs are what you need to know with a local mattress you are testing because you can “feel” the firmness of the mattress regardless of the specs). The more specific information you can provide an online retailer or manufacturer though about your local testing on mattresses that are at least “somewhat similar” along with the other information that you provide them (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) the more you will help them to help you and “talk you through” the process of making the best possible initial choice. For the majority of people this will work out very well but for the minority that are “outside the averages” or that are more in the “princess and the pea” end of the range than the “I can sleep on anything” end of the range or that aren’t as confident about the suitability of their choices then the options you have after a purchase to either exchange layers or a mattress would become a more important part of “risk management” and the “value” of an online purchase.

Phoenix

PS: I took a look around the Lansing area and the better options or possibilities I could see and the manufacturers they carry that i would consider (subject to the guidelines here) include …

purecraftedbeds.com Lansing, MI. They where a member of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry. Their mattresses use high quality materials and are normally sold online but for those that are local you can make an appointment and try the mattresses out in person (see post #2 here).

http://www.capitolbedding.com Lansing, MI. Regional wholesale manufacturer that has been making mattresses for over 65 years and make a wide range of good quality/value mattresses that would be well worth considering. They are also transparent about the materials they use inside their mattresses. They are sold through retailers in the area and have a store finder on their site (the ones that are closest to Lansing are included in this list).

Denver Mattress® - The Easiest Way to Get the Right Mattress Lansing Charter Township, MI. They are a regional manufacturer that makes a wide range of mattresses including innersprings and their iChoice models which include a “mostly latex” and a latex/memory foam hybrid. They are transparent about the materials they use in their mattresses and are good quality/value compared to most mainstream choices. I would avoid the major brands they also carry.

http://www.lansingbeds.com/ Lansing, East Lansing MI. Capitol Bedding.

http://www.parkshometownfurniture.com/ Lansing, MI. American Handcrafted (Dutch Craft). I talked with the owner here he understood the importance of foam densities and said he would find out the specs of the mattresses he sells to the degree that his factory will disclose them.

http://www.jjfurniture.com/ Lansing, MI. Restonic

Site Ready Eaton Rapids, MI. Capitol Bedding

http://www.mapesfurniture.com/ Sunfield, MI. Capitol Bedding

One other thing you can look into is due to the difference in sleeping preferences (and height/weight differences), you might be able to get a split mattress where the two halves of the mattress have different specifications.

Thanks Phoenix, I’ve looked through all those links. I think I’m just in a bit of shoppers paralysis haha. While I like the Melrose, I’m nervous about spending $1800 on something with inferior foam. I got my W bed for $1000 and it’s lasted 10 years.

They did have something called the ‘Revel’ system which seemed to be like the sleep number software that looks at how you sleep. Both myself and my GF got around a 5 for the comfort layer but I have an 8 Firm for support and she a 4 soft for support. Have you ever hear of this system?

Hi Warder,

I’m guessing you may mean the Reveal pressure mapping system?

To a large extent pressure mapping systems are often more about marketing than anything else. While they can be helpful to some degree … they certainly wouldn’t be a primary part of the reason I would choose a mattress (see post #2 here and the posts it links to).

I would also want to know the specifics of all the layers in any mattress I was considering and not just the density of the base layer (see this article) so you can identify any weak links in the mattress and to make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

Phoenix