Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Hi guys,

New member here. I was looking for a flippable mattress with all the big ā€œSā€ brands and found this forum. There is a ton of information here. I really appreciate all the hard work, the helpful tips, and the genuine care for others. I have learned a lot and now I feel a little information overload :cheer:

Anyway I have decided to get a Latex (dunlop) / hybrid latex mattress. I am in Greater Toronto area. Also looking for the TMU member discount/bonus :slight_smile:

I am thinking CBH, MFC, SnugSleep. SnugSleep does not seem to sell directly.

Thanks.

Hey viqi,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new mattress shopping adventure :slight_smile: ! Glad to hear that you found us along the way during your big ā€œSā€ brands research and hope youā€™ll discover some different points of view among the many consumers here who have given lesser known, smaller manufacturers/ retailers a chance with good results. Thanks too for your kind words on the siteā€™s resources and support team. It means a lot that others sense how much we do care for both our consumer subscribers and manufacturer membersā€” without all of you, there would be no TMU!

Thanks for considering our Canadian TMU trusted members CBH Wood Furnitureand MFC/ Memory Foam Comfort for a possible mattress purchase. Both are deeply experienced in the latex space and have successfully helped guide many consumers through the mattress selection process. With your submitted question, you may use CBH Wood Furnitureā€™s discount code ā€œCBHWOODā€ 5% off beds/ mattresses and from MFC, code ā€œTMUD%ā€ offers 3% Off mattresses & organic latex toppers applied to the entire order includes shipping & taxes. (Averaging slightly more than 5% discount on the actual product). Other conditions may apply to the discount codeā€™s use; for example, discounts arenā€™t stackable on top of current sale pricing in some cases, you may ask the manufacturer for more details before making your purchase. And you are correct; SnugSleep no longer sells directly to consumers. Let us know how things go and good luck with your new mattress purchase :wink: .

Sensei

Thanks for the info! Now that Iā€™ve found this site, I hope to do better my at my second attempt in purchasing a new mattress.

Hello folks new member here. I am really loving all the extremely in depth help and support from this site and forum. I was shopping around for a latex hybrid and was confused and lost with all the big brands and other review sites that only recommended brands they earn affiliate dollars on. So glad I found the trusted members section which has a huge selection of local and smaller businesses that are happy to make you a quality mattress and offer good customer service.

Hey Optimusdiesel,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile: !

Good to have you here and thanks for joining all of the fellow TMU mattress researchers from many walks of life who are sharing the journey to better sleep. Thanks too for your kind words on the site and forum; they are much appreciated!

Congrats on your new mattress shopping adventure:) ! Thanks too for considering one of our trusted members for a possible mattress purchase! I regard these fine manufacturers/ retailers quite highly in terms of design expertise, product quality, best practices/ transparency, and customer service post-sale. Whenever you have specific questions regarding your new mattress purchase, feel free to use the ā€œAsk an Expertā€ forum to seek counsel from a particular trusted memberā€™s area of expertise, as well as theTMU General Mattress Questions forum, where consumers often share their experiences. You may want to familiarize yourself with several of Phoenixā€™s articles before posing questions, such as ā€œDetermining Your Personal Statsā€ (these are basic Qs that will lay the ground work for many of your manufacturer conversations), ā€œFinding Your Perfect Mattressā€, ā€œHow Mattresses Functionā€, and ā€œFinding a Great Mattress Outletā€ (also has tips for informational Qā€™s to ask).

And as this thread is titled, ā€œDonā€™t Forget to Ask for Your TMU Discount Bonusā€: should you decide to purchase from one of TMUā€™s participating manufacturers/ retailers, you may receive a small TMU discount as a Thank You for your support of our Trusted Member program in exchange for posting a one question, so donā€™t forget to drop in another time with your first question :wink: . Good luck with your research, Optimusdiesel and let us know how we may help.

Thanks,
Sensei

P.S to @2Kuvs: A Big TMU ā€œHelloā€ to you too and Welcome :slight_smile: ! All advice just offered to Optimusdiesel applies to you as well and my apologies for missing your earlier post. Feel free to drop in with questions regarding your second mattress purchase should you need any guidance and good luck :slight_smile: !

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Iā€™ve been looking for a new mattress for ~10 months now, tried the Brooklyn Bedding Bloom and Aurora and neither seemed to be a good fit. Now Iā€™ve narrowed it down to the Nest ASH medium or the Sleep EZ 360 hybrid with medium talalay. Iā€™m leaning towards the ASH because, while I love the idea of latex, I developed awful pressure points on the Bloom and am not sure if it just means that latex is not a good fit for me. Iā€™m a side sleeper and the foam in the ASH is supposed to conform a little better than latex. Itā€™s probably not as durable as latex would be, but I also really like that the top 3" can be removed so I can replace it when it wears out. TMU has been such an invaluable resource during the seemingly never-ending process of finding the right mattress for me and I really canā€™t thank you guys enough for maintaining this site.

Hey teenyhoudini,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new mattress shopping adventure :slight_smile: ! Sorry to hear that neither BBā€™s Bloom nor Aurora models worked out for you. The Bloom Hybrid features 3" Talalay latex as comfort material and is available in a single firmness: Medium, while the Aurora has Titan Flex foam and Memory foam as comfort materials and is available in 3 different firmnesses. Itā€™s a good idea when shopping for a mattress to discuss your personal stats with an experienced and knowledgeable manufacturer who can help you narrow down choices. Would you mind giving the height, weight, body profile type, and preferred sleeping position(s) of you and anyone else who may be sharing your mattress? What size mattress are you planning to purchase? It would also be interesting to know what mattress you were using prior to these two and how old it was.

Thanks for considering trusted members Nest Bedding and Sleep EZ for a possible mattress purchase :slight_smile: ! I regard them highly in terms of component knowledge, product quality, and customer support post-purchase. It seems a bit odd that you experienced pressure point pain on 3" of Talalay latex, but perhaps a softer firmness would have allowed a bit more sink for your shoulders and hips in your side sleeping position. Knowing your personal stats as mentioned above would also shed more light towards what combinations of materials and constructions would be better suited for your preferences. The Alexander Signature Hybrid uses a gel-infused memory foam and TitanChill foam as comfort layers over a pocket coil support core. You had a similar construction with the BB Aurora but didnā€™t find it a ā€œgood fit.ā€ Just curious here, but what differences do you find that make ASH a candidate for consideration?

Thanks teenyhoudini for your kind words regarding the site; they are much appreciated! It pleases us to know that youā€™ve found the resources here useful and feel free to drop in anytime you have more questions. Looking forward to your reply and to updates on your mattress research as it continuesā€¦

Thanks,
Sensei :wink:

Iā€™m 5ā€™4", ~225 lbs, and a side sleeper. Itā€™s just me on the mattress, but Iā€™m planning on getting a queen because I like having the extra space. The mattress Iā€™m currently using is an innerspring with pillow top Simmons Beautyrest (Iā€™m pretty sure) and itā€™s ~17 years old. Itā€™s the best mattress Iā€™ve ever had, but whatever was in the pillow top layer has long since degraded and Iā€™m left feeling the springs sometimes. The springs on one end of the mattress are almost completely shot and itā€™s only a matter of time before the springs on the other end go, so itā€™s time to find something new.

I actually emailed back and forth with Sleep EZ and they were great to work with, but they also recommended medium talalay as the top 3". The latex in the Bloom had an ILD of 28 and Sleep EZā€™s medium ranges from 30 to 32 according to their FAQ, so I wasnā€™t sure if that would be an improvement or not. The Aurora was a comfortable mattress, but the material on top of it was so slick that my mattress protector and sheets would come off in the middle of the night. A full encasement mattress protector might have solved that problem, but I lived alone at the time and the mattress was so heavy that it would have been a pain to put on and take off every time I wanted to wash it, so ultimately I decided that it wasnā€™t worth the present and future frustration. The Nest ASH doesnā€™t seem to have that issue, and I like knowing that the top 3" can be replaced as needed. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll get 17 years out of it, but being able to replace the comfort layer should add some longevity to the ASHā€™s lifespan.

Hey teenyhoudini,

Thanks for your reply and updates :slight_smile: .

17 years is a pretty good life for a mattress, teeny; your Beautyrest has served you well! Yes, what you describe is the natural progression of the mattressā€™s lifecycle: over the course of use and time, components will compress, eventually degrade, and give up their comfort and support capabilities. Iā€™m happy to hear that you liked your mattress and hope you find one that treats you equally well.

A latexā€™s ILD range will vary slightly among manufacturers and the main concern here is how its comfort feels to the individual. ILD alone is not a basis for durability potential, as it is a measurement of intended density of a given foam product, and each manufacturer decides what ILD ranges best suit the components and design result for their mattress models. And as we are fond of reminding consumers: only you can ā€œfeelā€ what you feel on a mattress based upon your individual comfort preferences :wink: .

[quote]The Aurora was a comfortable mattress, but the material on top of it was so slick that my mattress protector and sheets would come off in the middle of the night. A full encasement mattress protector might have solved that problem, but I lived alone at the time and the mattress was so heavy that it would have been a pain to put on and take off every time I wanted to wash it, so ultimately I decided that it wasnā€™t worth the present and future frustration.
[/quote]

Understood about the difficulties of caring for a full encasement mattress protector when working with a heavy mattress; however, if you plan to take advantage of any sleep trial periods, be aware that a mattress protector of some kind is required by most manufacturers for compliance with their exchange/ return policies for varying reasons to protect the product.

This is an ideal way to have customizable comfort as your body changes throughout the years, but also to avoid adding to the piles of mattresses that end up in landfills needlessly each day. BTW, are you still making comparisons and how are things going?

Thanks,
Sensei

Yes, Iā€™ve always slept with a mattress protector, but the fitted sheet style since itā€™s easy to take on and off. Iā€™m looking at this one because itā€™s supposed to be waterproof, breathable, AND silent, which sounds too good to be true, but I guess Iā€™ll find out.

I am still doing some research on the beds Iā€™m most interested in. I chatted with someone at SleepEZ and they directed me to a store local to me where I could try out latex mattresses that would be similar in feel to theirs. However, the person I chatted with also said that the cover of the 360 hybrid would give it a firmer feel and add more surface tension, so it would be less conforming and provide less pressure relief. As a side sleeper, both of those things are important to me, so itā€™s sounding more and more like a latex hybrid may not be for me. I may go to the store they recommended anyway just to try it out, but Iā€™m definitely leaning more towards getting the Nest ASH. I called them to get some of their specifications and they told me that they do actually sell just the 3" comfort layer for $189 for a queen size which is around the same price point as some really good mattress toppers, so thatā€™s definitely good information to know for the future. The only thing Iā€™m concerned about is the 1" of 3lb foam they have between the thicker support layer and the coils. That canā€™t be replaced without cutting the mattress open, and while it wonā€™t degrade as quickly as the top support layer, it will eventually degrade. Hopefully it lasts long enough to get a good long life out of the mattress.

One thing I have been curious about but havenā€™t been able to find an answer to, is a queen size mattress inherently softer than a full size, being that the materials are spread out across a bigger surface area? I know there are more coils in a queen to offer equivalent support, but it kind of feels like a more compact amount of materials would result in a firmer feel.

I appreciate all of your help so far :slight_smile:

Hey teenyhoudini,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: !

My apologies for the delayed response, teenyhoudini (BTW, excellent username :wink: ). Thanks for including the mattress protector link; the bamboo-derived fabrication seems interesting. Let us know how that plays out, including the ā€œsilentā€ claims of its use.

You may want to review this recent Sleep EZ post response regarding their covers:

"Please keep in mind that we ship our mattress covers out to be quite tight, because we understand that the cover will break in a bit over the first 2 months. As the cover breaks in, the fabric and stitching will relax and once that happens, you will sink into the mattress more, making for a softer feel and more pressure relief"

NBā€™s 1" SmartFlow Support Foamā€™s 3lb. density is well within the highest grade of polyfoam, ensuring that it should have a longer useful life in its role as a transition layer in the mattress. HD/ HR foams are often used between the upper comfort layers and support core in this manner and serve as a buffer, adding another inch of foam between the comfort materials and the mattressā€™s support area. Unless youā€™re working with a DIY setup, a transition layer of any material is generally glued to the support base and to your point, non-replaceable.

[quote]One thing I have been curious about but havenā€™t been able to find an answer to, is a queen size mattress inherently softer than a full size, being that the materials are spread out across a bigger surface area? I know there are more coils in a queen to offer equivalent support, but it kind of feels like a more compact amount of materials would result in a firmer feel.
[/quote]

If there is any ā€œfeelā€ difference across the area of a full vs. a queen, it would be more in the sense of being more ā€œluxuriousā€ and spacious and not necessarily that either is softer than the other. Also, the user involved will perceive the two sizes differently, as age, body type, sleep positions, etc. combined are part of the overall experience.

Youā€™re doing a good job with your showroom visits, teenyhoudini; any news on your findings?

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks for your response, Sensei, and apologies for the delay in mine.

I did see that, but I donā€™t know, I think my experience with latex has turned me off of it. It seems to be better suited to back and stomach sleepers, and I donā€™t know that I want to give it 60 days only to find out that latex is still not for me.

On a different note, Iā€™ve been following r/mattress for several months because I find it helpful to see real reviews from real consumers to put things in perspective. The Nest ASH had been almost universally praised up until recently when a number of reviews popped up claiming that the support core was failing abnormally early. One intrepid redditor actually contacted Nest directly and was told that they had switched to an R&S coil system from the L&P Quantum Edge coil system they had been advertising on the ASH product page (that has since been changed). I emailed Nest myself for a product spec sheet and was told that one wasnā€™t available, but they were working on it. Apparently they have been using the R&S system for quite some time with no intention of switching back.

Now I find myself at a loss. I donā€™t like memory foam, I canā€™t sleep on latexā€“polyfoam was my last hope, and they seemed like the best bet. I havenā€™t found any other company that makes a similar quality mattress with polyfoam as the primary support material. Do I buy the ASH and risk getting one with a bad coil system? Do I DIY it? I can find all of the materials, but theyā€™re nonrefundable if I donā€™t like it, and then Iā€™m out the cost and stuck with it. Where should I go from here?

It wonā€™t let me edit my post to add to it, but what do you think of the Winkbed now that theyā€™ve changed their construction? Thereā€™s still 1.5 lb foam on top, but now itā€™s only 1 inch, and the foam below it is 2.5 lbs. Is it a more viable option now, or is the top still considered a ā€œweak linkā€?

Thanks for this great forum. I have learned a lot. Iā€™m posting to get a discount code for Restmore Bedding

As shown on the Restmore Bedding TMU Trusted Member page:
TMU Consumer-Subscriber Discount: 5% off Mattress
Discount Code: Please use TMU5% during the purchase process.

Hey Horiko,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: !

Thanks for the kind words on the forum and for your post, Horiko. Thanks too for considering a mattress purchase from TMU trusted member Restmore Bedding, they are a deeply knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer who provides quality products and excellent service post-sale. Remember when you reach out to them to mention your post on TMU to receive your discount and let us know if you have a specific research question. Good luck on your new mattress shopping journey and let us know how things go :wink: .

Sensei

Hi. I just joined today. We are trying to decide between CozyPure and SleepEZ for our latex mattress. I wanted to get that first post in to qualify for the discount. There is so much great information on this forum. Thank you!

Hi rubylee.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

We are so glad to hear you have been finding our resources useful as you search for your perfect mattress. If you have any questions along the way, weā€™re happy to help.

NikkiTMU

Hi, Iā€™ve been lurking for many months and I signed up today to ask a few questions.

I am a 66 year old male, 5ā€™ 11", 285 lbs. I consider myself a hybrid sleeper, meaning that I use a small rectangular pillow against my lower back while Iā€™m laying on my side then roll slightly towards my back. So, I guess Iā€™m not really a side sleeper nor a back sleeper. Whatever mattress I end up purchasing will be a twin xl as my wife and I have a adjustable bed with two twin xlā€™s side by side.

Recently I had a chat with Jeremy @ SleepEZ and he recommended a medium Talalay over Firm Dunlop over Extra Firm Dunlop. Because of the price point I was looking at their 10" Natural Latex Mattress. Do know if the Organic Mattress sleeps any different than the Natural?

I am also curious about the hybrid mattress at SleepEZ and wonder if it is appropriate for someone like myself or if an all latex is a better choice. I also question if the recommendations for the support layer maybe a bit to firm. I recently had a Tuft and Needle mattress for about 5 years till it broke down and had little edge support. I recently purchased a Purple Mattress looking for the additional cooling they claim to have. It ended up being better than the T&N but not good enough.

Another issue that I have been struggling with is that we are living 200 miles from any company that has latex mattresses. I was able to visit one on a recent trip, it was a Pure Talalay Bliss Pamper mattress. It was one of several at their site, and of all of them there, it seemed to be the best suited for my needs. I assume that SleepEZ can supply a mattress that is very close to the Pure Talalay Bliss.

Any advice that you could pass on would be greatly appreciated. I have to agree with many prior posters, that a great deal of manhours must have been expended to provide such a vast amount of research and information. I, like others have noted, have spent many hours pouring over details and specifications of many mattresses that could only be found here.

Lastly, I have found SleepEZā€™s discount code on your site but was left with the impression that the MUG5 code could be used, but also other codes could be added as well. I know when testing the code on SleepEzā€™s site, it appears that the checkout process only allows one code to be entered. Additionally, as I was doing further research on your site I found a prior reference to SleepEZ having a 10% code. Can you verify if that still exists?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Hi Gizmo1955.

Glad to have you on our Mattress Forum! Welcome! :slight_smile:

Organic certifications have almost nothing to do with the quality or performance of a product Itā€™s virtually identical to the same material that doesnā€™t have an organic certification, even though the organic certification adds to the cost of a product. It also doesnā€™t test the final product for harmful substances or VOCā€™s (although of course an organic product would generally be considered as safe ā€¦ there is nothing to ā€œproveā€ it) so it would require a second certification such as Eco-Institut to confirm that there are no harmful substances or VOCā€™s in the final product. Generally, are plenty of people in the industry that question the ā€œvalueā€ of an organic certification vs the same material that doesnā€™t have an organic certification. Many consumers are rather concerned with the ā€œsafetyā€ of a mattress than whether it has an organic certification. While organic certifications do matter for those whom this is an important criterion, in IMO the ā€œorganicā€ marketing talk is rather blown out of proportions and praying on people that that started to equate organic with safety. Ther are perfectly safe and performant materials that do not have an organic certification.

Iā€™d also point out that in todayā€™s market, ā€œnaturalā€ can mean almost anything to the point whereby itself it has little meaning at all. Pure Latex Bliss for example uses the description ā€œnatural Talalayā€ to mean a blend of natural and synthetic rubber that is 30% natural and 70% synthetic. They call their 100% natural Talalay ā€œall-naturalā€ to differentiate them (which is misleading). Some manufacturers use it to indicate ā€œmostlyā€ natural rubber (say 85% natural rubber) and some use it to indicate 100% natural rubber. many stores confuse the two and donā€™t know which material they are selling.
Without knowing the specifics ā€¦ natural is just one of those words that have little meaning by itself and I would want to know both the type of latex they are using and the specific blend percentage of NR (natural rubber) and SBR (synthetic rubber) in the latex.

You can read a little more about the different types of latex in this article and in post #6 here .

Both innersprings and a firmer latex core can be used as a support layer and each has very ā€œdifferentā€ characteristics but the most important differences are the ones you can feel and that you personally prefer. Both can be softer or firmer depending on design so a pocket coil could be firmer than a latex core or the other way around they could be zoned or not all depending on the specifics of the components you are comparing. I would definitely consult SleepEZ about which of these would be better for a plus-size sleeper. There is more about this in post #10 here and more detailed information about innersprings vs latex support cores in post #2 here and more about the different types and blends of latex in this article and in post #6 here or post #29 here

A high BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). There are also a number of forum posts and threads about mattresses and higher weights and a forum title search on heavy Some examples include:

1. Latex & Memory foam for heavy-weight in post #2 here and ā€¦
  2. Starting Mattress specs for heavy-weight person in post #2 here and ā€¦
  3. Mattresses for a heavy-weight person topic here and ā€¦
  4. about Mattresses for Plus size people in Post #3 has more information and suggestions about heavier weights.

The ā€œweakest linkā€ in a mattress in terms of durability is normally in the upper layers (the top 3" - 6" of the mattress) that are compressed more deeply when under the weight of the sleeper and not generally in the deeper support layers so the firmer bottom layers of a mattress will have more effect on feel and performance than they will on durability for most people.
Higher BMI will wear out faster the latex in lower ILD because there I linear dependency between the two with latex (which is not the case with MF or Poly) I donā€™t think you have to go into much detail but for example, a 100% NR from Talalay Global has ā€œ14 ILD ~ 2.5 lbs/ft3ā€¦xsoft 19 ILD ā€¦ 3.0 lbs/ft3ā€¦xsoftā€ which being in such a low density will wear out a little faster for higher weight ranges. That is why a component-style system would be good for them as they can change the top layer when it starts to break down.

As you probably know by reading our forum the differences youā€™d perceive are solely based on your personal specs, individual needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) but SleepEZ are familiar with PTB and are very skilled at assessing any differences between the two mattresses based on averages of customers that have a similar sleeping profile and personal specs.

Thank you for your kind words and recognition of the time of effort that goes into maintaining our site. Much appreciated!

The newest SleepEZ discount code is 5% off Mattresses (Code: MUG5) which is on top of any discount codes offered by Sleep EZ with their regular promotions. Discount codes change from time to time so the 10% discount offered a while back was stand-alone and could not be stacked on top of any current site sales.

All in all, it looks like you are on the right track and also in the very good hands of ā€œSleepEZā€ who is one of the Trusted members of our site and also a TMU mattress expert with their own dedicated forum

Phoenix