Buying a Mattress in Tulsa, OK

I just ran into this website and though I’d join in the conversation… I’ve had a Denver Mattress Doctor’s Choice FIRM for 7 years or so and I’ve never had a single problem with it and there’s no sagging or anything. The bed actually still looks almost brand new. I’m not sure if it’s the best “sleep” I’ve ever had however. So, for whatever the above is worth…

Now, I’ve recently purchased a new bed that didn’t come in a full size so we got a queen and now I need a new mattress. I thought about just going down to the Denver Mattress store and getting another but I thought I’d try and do some research on them first. Saddly, it’s like a sea of marketing and I don’t really believe the majority of anything I’ve read.

I was curious if anyone here knew of a good store in Tulsa, OK that I could check out. I did notice there’s a place on the member list here in Oklahoma City but that’s a couple hour drive and hauling the bed back would be a chore in my min-truck. So something in Tulsa would be really ideal.

As a side note, my friend recommended the Lady Americana brand which seems to have a pretty good warranty and their website has lots of nice features about construction but most of it doesn’t really mean a whole lot to me. I suppose their Silver Tight-top would be closer to what I have now.

I also have fairly annoying sinus problems and I’ve read the bed you pick can help/worsen that. Things like Bamboo or silk fillers or covers help a lot. Any input on that front?

I think my ideal bed is a spring bed with a very mild foam type top (an inch or two). But I don’t like the all foam mattresses very much. They feel weird to me and I like a bed with a little bounce to it.

Hi sqls,

In case you haven’t read it already … the first place to start is post #1 here. It has the information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible mattress choices in terms of quality and value as well as suitability for your needs and preferences.

Like any brand … Lady Americana is only as good as the quality of all the layers and components inside it. The brand on a mattress means little because any manufacturer can use any materials and components in their mattress as any other manufacturer.Lady Americana though does tend to use higher quality materials than major brands and they are also more open and transparent about the materials they use but getting this information will depend on the willingness of the retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with to find it out for you and then help you understand what it means (and of course you are welcome to post the information here if they are not knowledgeable about mattress materials).

There isn’t a specific Tulsa list on the forum (although there are some Tulsa options included in the Oklahoma list in post #2 here) so I thought I’d do a little research in the area so that people in Tulsa would have a few more options or possibilities that were closer. Make sure when you deal with any manufacturer or retailer though that they are willing and able to disclose the details of the materials in any mattress you are considering. The better ones will also be able to educate you about the differences between the materials. So some of the better options and possibilities in the Tulsa area and the brands they carry that I would focus on (that are more likely to be transparent about their materials) and a few comments about some of them include …

http://www.okmattress.com/ They are an independent factory direct manufacturer who makes a range of very high quality and value mattresses. While they are a “drive” away in Oklahoma City … I have spoken with Jim the owner there many times and like the other members here, He makes some great quality/value mattresses … which of course is why I invited him to be a member of the site. I would certainly give him a phone call to talk with him and if at all possible it would be well worth the drive to Oklahoma city to test his mattresses.

Denver Mattress® - The Easiest Way to Get the Right Mattress Regional manufacturer with outlets in Tulsa, and Springdale. Makes a wide range of mattresses including latex with some good quality/value and are transparent about the materials and components they use.

http://www.mathisbrothers.com/ Tulsa, Oklahoma City, OK. Lady Americana including their Eco comfort line which have an Omalon (polyfoam) base and various foams on top including latex hybrids. They are usually transparent about the materials in their mattresses. I would avoid the other brands they also carry and make some careful value comparisons here.

http://mandmmattress.com/ Tulsa, OK. They have been in business for over 30 years and make a range of one and two sided innerspring mattresses that are very good quality/value for their budget range. They also make truck and RV mattresses and remanufactured mattresses for those that are in the very lowest budget ranges. They would be well worth considering for those that are looking for a more traditional one or two sided mattress in lower budget ranges.

If I come across more that have some good potential I will add them to this list.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Phoenix thanks for all of your advice!

I plan to go out and try a few local places in Tulsa tonight and see if I can narrow things down to a few models or styles and then go from there. I’ve read through the links you’ve provided here and other areas of your website and armed with that hopefully I can fight off the used car sells men of the mattress world.

I will give Jim at OK Mattress a call and see where that goes. I believe my preference would be something my wife and I could test out locally and purchase in the next week or so, if possible. My need is a bit more immediate then I would “guess” a custom made bed takes to build. But I’ll find out when I call Jim.

The Furniturerow is Denver Mattress and like I mentioned that’s where I got my current bed, a full/standard doctor’s choice firm. In a previous relationship :slight_smile: I also purchased I think a King Durango from them and liked it too. I see they have it onsale (for whatever that’s worth) right now and a Queen would be $499.00. Someone mentioned that in another post here and you said it would be a good value at that price? Which of their “latex” models do you feel are a value? I noticed in the other post about Oklahoma you mentioned latex models but didn’t say which ones.

Mathis Brothers is a big huge “we sell everything” furniture store and that’s where I got my new bed frame. their sells people are pretty shark like and don’t seem to offer much in the way of quality advise. But I do plan to head there and lay on a few of the Lady Americana mattresses to see how they fit.

I did find the website to the Tulsa Mattress while googling and read on here about Golden Mattress Company some. Their website doesn’t seem to give a very clear picture of their product line and how they’re constructed but I’ve read on this forum that many people like their products. I’ll go check out the Factory Direct place you found on Angies List.

Again, thanks for the information. I’ll give you some feedback later this week.

Another question that I’ve learned enough about to think I should ask :slight_smile:

The bed frame I got is designed to be used without a box spring. I’ve read that some mattresses require one and some do not. Are there specific types that are better suited for a “no box frame” setup?

Hi sqls,

In general terms … all of the mattresses made by the same manufacturer would be in an equivalent value range. In general … lower budget mattress will also have a slightly lower profit margin than more premium mattresses. I can’t speak to which mattress may fit you best in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) but any of the mattresses made they make would be good quality and value which is why I include them in any of the lists in different areas where they have an outlet. I would avoid the other brands they carry though that they don’t manufacture themselves.

This type of sales environment is never a pleasant experience but at least Lady Americana licensees are usually transparent about the specs of the materials in their mattresses. Of course it’s still important for the retailer to find this information out for their customers who understand it’s importance (and this can be a good test of how knowledgeable and customer focused a retailer really is). As long as you pay attention to the guidelines here (especially #9 and #10) then you are “well armed” to deal with them :slight_smile:

Yes … they make some good quality and value mattresses but once again … they are transparent about the materials they use so you can make more informed choices and meaningful comparisons.

You can read more about which different types of foundations or box springs and which mattresses they tend to be best with in post #2 here. In general it’s best to make sure you test a mattress on a similar base as you will be using at home (either flexing or non flexing) because the foundation or box spring can make a difference in how a mattress feels and performs so if you test on a flexible base and then use the mattress on a non flexing base (or vice versa) what you sleep on may feel and perform differently from what you tested in the store.

Phoenix

Okay, just a quick update. We made it to Furniture Row (Denver Mattress Co) store today. We spent almost 2 hours there and bounced around on a dozen beds but I already had a mind set to focus on the Denver Mattresses over the other brands. We spent awhile on every single Denver Mattress and some of them we could very quickly rule out. At the end we went back and forth between the below two choices. Odd as one is quite a bit softer then the other but these two had the least (if any) pressure points in all of our positions. I’m not sure about spine alignment because that was a difficult thing for me to gauge.

Madison Euro Top ($699 Queen, mattress only)
Quilt Layers:
Double Knit Ticking
1 1/2" 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1" BioFlex™ Soy Based Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort Layers:
2 3/8" 1.8lb Density Foam
1 Flex-Net Insulator
Support System:
Coil Density: 567* Individually Wrapped, Foam Encased Coils(Queen Size)
15 Gauge Tempered Steel

And the…

Telluride Plush ($1099 Queen,mattress only)
Quilt Layers:
Stretch Knit Ticking
1½" 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1" Bioflex™ Soy Based Foam
Comfort Layers:
2" Talalay Latex
1¼" 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
Coil Density: 1080* Individually Wrapped, Foam Encased
Coils (Queen Size)
16 Gauge Tempered Steel

To be honest, I’m really not sure which of these two I prefer. I think I have a slight favor to the Telluride but I’m not sure if that’s “I know it costs more so it must be better” or an honest impression.

To the stores credit. Our sales rep was reasonably helpful and very relaxed and friendly. He allowed us to spent our time bouncing around the beds and let us do our thing until I looked at him and he’d come over and answer any questions I had. I’m not sure he knew everything about mattresses but at least he didn’t try to sell me something and just let us feel our way around. We left without him giving us any “Buy today and I’ll throw in a magic bacon cooker” or anything. He did tell me (after I asked) that he felt the Telluride was a better built mattress and was likely to last longer and would be less prone to impressions.

We’ll going to try some other store tomorrow (or two if we have time).

Another update :slight_smile:

Last night we made it to two stores. First we went by the “Tulsa Mattress” store that sells Golden Mattresses. Turns out the store is actually “The Affordable Store” and they sell mattresses along with furniture, very odd sexualized wall paintings, knifes of all sizes, small dirt bikes and four wheelers, and a few other random things. They didn’t have very many mattresses to try and they seemed to carry more of Goldens lower end stuff. All the mattresses were still wrapped in the heavy plastic and they had some heavy (and very dusty) throw pillows on some of them to test with. I did give a few beds a try but it was pretty tough trying to get a feel for them there. The two owners (husband and wife) were pretty unique and had a very interesting personality. I got a lot of humor out of the whole thing but my wife kept whispering to me, “Get me out of here!”.

Next we went to the Mathis Brothers “Sleep Studio” in Broken Arrow. This is totally different from their furniture store and it’s just mattresses. The environment was a LOT better then their furniture store. There was one sales guy and he was nice, helpful, and let us walk around and lay on beds without any pressure sales or anything. I did ask him a few questions and he didn’t know much more then what was listed on the stickers. I did however learn that the Lady Americana brand is actually owned by Mathis Brothers (since 2000). We tried out all of the Lady Americana and Eco Comfort beds and finally decided we liked the Lady Americana Silver Pillow-Top (they called it the Nobility Plush) best and it costs $739.95. Hard to say how it felt compared to the two Denver mattresses we liked. But I’d place it somewhere in between those two. I’m not sure which ones have the better quality parts because I’m not too sure I understand what the name of their materials means.

I see it does have some Talay but it says Lumbar Support and I’m not sure if that means it just a strip down the center or what -shurg-

On the Mathis side it says…
Mattress Size Queen
Height (bottom to top) 13"
Construction
Comfort Level Plush
Quilt/Cover Four-way Stretch w/Silk plus High loft Fiber and 1.5" Supersoft foam
Comfort Layer 1.5" over .5" Convoltuted Super Soft Foam - 1.5" over .5" Convoluted Super Soft Foam - .5" Talay Lumbar Support
Mattress Support 704 Individually Encased Coil Unit

Warranty
Mattress Warranty 25 Year Non-Prorated

On the the Lady Americana website it’s pretty vague, but says
… Each Silver mattress is covered with a COOLMAX cover. This material is a state of the art technology that helps to keep your body cooler by wicking away moisture while you sleep.
… has a foam encased spring unit. This is made with 70 pound foam that will not only keep the sides from breaking down, it will also provide up to 20% more sleeping space
… Additionally this model offers 4" of convoluted Hi Res Poly Foam that gives this model a PLUSH feel.

I wrote them asking for more specific details about the material used and density.

Hi sqls,

Thanks for the feedback about Tulsa Mattress. I included them in the list because they carried Golden and I hadn’t talked with them but they clearly don’t belong there and I’ve removed them from the list.

With the Lady Americana … knowing the quality of the materials they use depends on knowing the thickness of all the layers, the density of any polyfoam and memory foam they use in each layer, and the type and quality of any latex.

You can see a little more about the information you would need and an analysis of a couple of the Lady Americana mattresses (made by Bowles Mattress) in post #2 here and some thoughts about one of the mattresses in the Silver series in post #1 and #2 here.

When a consumer needs to track down information about a mattress by emailing the manufacturer … it means that the salesperson you are dealing with or the store itself is not doing its job. They should not only be able to provide you with this information without you having to do anything but ask for it, they should also have the knowledge and experience to be able to explain and educate you about what it means and how to use it to compare different mattresses.

Better salespeople, retailers, and manufacturers will already know and be happy to explain what consumers would otherwise have to learn (which can be frustrating, time consuming, and often overwhelming)

Some of the licensee factories of Lady Americana are better than others at providing this information.

Lumbar support usually indicates that the middle third of the mattress has been designed to be firmer to better support the heaviest area of the body (the pelvic girdle) and preventing it from sinking down too far relative to the other areas of the body so that the spine is kept in better alignment. It can be accomplished in different ways including innersprings that are “zoned” to be firmer in the middle area, foam layers that are zoned in the same way, or a layer of firmer or more supportive foam that is used over the innersprings in the middle third of the mattress only (often called a belly band). in the case of Lady Americana, they use both zoned innersprings and a belly band.

Your personal testing will tell you more than “theory” though about how effective a design is in terms of keeping your spine in neutral alignment for your body type and all your sleeping positions.

Phoenix

PS: Here is the layering of the nobility listed on their site layer by layer and the information I would want to know about each layer along with some further comments.

Mattress cover and quilting layers.

Four-way Stretch w/Silk: with silk generally means a very low percentage and the rest of what is in this fabric is missing.
High loft Fiber: This is probably polyester which is subject to breaking down and compressing over time.
1.5" Supersoft foam: This is probably lower density polyfoam and by itself is getting close to the maximum amount of lower density polyfoam I would want in the comfort layers of a mattress. i would want to know the density of the polyfoam

Comfort Layers.

1.5" over .5" Convoluted Super Soft Foam: This means that the peak of the convoluting is 1.5" and the valleys are .5". This produces a layer thickness of 1.5" and the polyfoam density would be very important to know. Convoluted polyfoam is softer than a solid layer and can be less durable because there is less material in the layer.
1.5" over .5" Convoluted Super Soft Foam: Another layer of the same thing and I would want to know the density.

Support System.

5" Talalay Lumbar Support: This is a high quality material but is only used as a very thin layer for a “belly band”.
Mattress Support 704 Individually Encased Coil Unit: This is a pocket coil which would be softer than other types of innerspring and they don’t provide the gauge of the steel. It also uses very firm polyfoam for edge support which can delaminate and soften (again depending on the density) and is a lower cost method of providing a firmer edge than using steel or firmer coils to provide the edge support in a mattress. The support layers of a mattress are not normally the “weak link” of a mattress though and this would not be as significant as the amount of lower quality polyfoam in the upper layers.

Overall … this mattress has 4.5" of supersoft polyfoam in the upper layers and some additional polyester fiber which are all likely to be lower quality materials (probably in the density range of 1.5 lbs which is not great quality polyfoam) and if this turns out to be the case I would personally not consider this mattress because of the risk of early foam softening in a one sided soft mattress that uses this much lower quality polyfoam in the upper layers.

The “simple” version (that is much easier than a more detailed analysis like this and can apply to other mattresses as well) is that once you are at 2" or more lower quality polyfoam in the upper layers of a one sided mattress (1.5 lbs or less) or you see other lower quality materials (such as polyester fiber) in addition to this I would be very cautious about considering the mattress.

So, the e-mail’s I’ve sent to Mathis Brothers and Lady Americana (through their webform) were never answered. The instore sales guy couldn’t tell me anymore then what was listed on the website. With those two combined I’m much less inclined to buy their mattress. I agree wholeheartedly that if I’m buying something that the manufacturer should be able to provide me a clear explanation of what it’s made from. Especially something like a mattress :slight_smile:

I think right now my next candidate is the Denver Mattress Telluride Plush. They’ve got a couple things going for them. So far they’ve been the most informed sales staff and their website is pretty clear about what their mattresses are made out of. After some mattress shopping I think I have an even greater respect for a company that does that. Right now though the bed is a bit on the expensive side for me but when I was at their store last week I asked the guy if they would be having any sales soon. He mentioned a whole-store sale on the 30th. So I’ll wait and see how big of a sale it really is. With Denver I can use the no interest pay over 5 years or whatever deal and that does help a lot for me, especially right now since I’m having a baby next month… well… My wife is having the baby :slight_smile: I’m not sure what the Bioflex Soy Based Foam is or how that ranks in the overall durability department. Looks like the bed is on the verge of too much Convoluted Foam but it’s still a lot less then most the beds I’ve seen so far. PPP wise, I liked this bed probably the most. But my wife thought it was a bit too stiff. Maybe I need a 1" topper for her half of the bed :slight_smile:

The Telluride :
Quilt Layers:
Stretch Knit Ticking
1½" 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1" Bioflex™ Soy Based Foam
Comfort Layers:
2" Talalay Latex
1¼" 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
Coil Density: 1080* Individually Wrapped, Foam Encased
Coils (Queen Size)
16 Gauge Tempered Steel

Hi sqls,

The Telluride uses higher quality materials and would likely be better value than the Lady Americana you were looking at. 1.8 lb polyfoam is a higher grade of polyfoam than what they likely use in the Lady Americana (which is probably 1.5 lb polyfoam) and latex is a premium foam and higher quality than even the best polyfoam you will likely find in any mattress. These are all higher quality materials than you would usually find in a mattress in this budget range.

While I would normally be cautious with a mattress that used this much polyfoam in the comfort layers … the higher grade and the fact that it also contains 2" of latex relatively close to the top would provide better durability and value than other similar mattresses where the polyfoam was a lower density and more subject to early softening. My biggest “caution” with this mattress would be the thickness and softness of the comfort layers in combination with a high gauge pocket coil which would make for a fairly soft mattress which may have some potential risk for best alignment but your own careful and objective testing will tell you more about this than anything else.

You can read a little more about “soy based” or other so called plant based foams in post #2 here. As you can see … it is basically just polfoam which has replaced a small part of one of the chemicals used to make it with a plant based chemical derivative and would be comparable to other types of polyfoam at the same density. I believe it is also 1.8 lb polyfoam but they could confirm this.

If you do end up going in this direction … I would make sure that you had slept on it for long enough to break in the mattress and go through any adjustment period you may have before considering a topper to make it softer yet.

Phoenix

Well, tomorrow Denver Mattress is having a big “Customer Appreciation sale” day. So I’m going to swing by and if it’s really a big sale and not just a bunch of hype then I might get the Telluride. I’ll definitely wait a couple months before making any changes to it though. Laying on the mattress it really doesn’t feel that soft… A bit more of a medium range compared to the others we’ve tested in the last week. But we’ll look at it again tomorrow and I’ll try to see how our alignment is (as best as I can tell).

I also started reading more and more about latex beds (because of the site information) and spent some time looking at the Brooklyn Bedding page today. To try and get a idea of how a latex bed feels we went back to the Mathis place and tried two of the Eco Comfort beds, the Haven and the Serenity. But I think both of them were too soft and my wife didn’t like either of them either. They list some specs but they’re not overly detailed and I’m not sure how they compared to what I would get from the Brooklyn Bedding place. I’m pretty timid about ordering a bed without getting to test it out first! I did like the responsiveness of the latex a lot better then some of the memory foam beds I’ve tried. So that part was fine and moving around on it was fine. But I felt like my back had more pressure on it and my butt hardly had any. I could see on my wife that her mid section sunk in at least a half inch or so too far.

The Brooklyn Bedding prices seem really good, almost “too good” but I know they have good reviews here and almost everything I’ve read online about them sounds good too. But their price seems almost half that of the Eco Comfort brand.

The specs on those two beds…

The Haven (~$1650 queen, mattress only)
5 Year Non-Prorated Warranty
3" Talalay Latex Foam
7" High Density Base Foam
Certified Organic Cotton Cover
Purchase Supports Arbor Day Foundation™
Eco-Friendly Soy-Based Foam

The Serenity (~$1950 queen, mattress only)
25 Year Non-Prorated Warranty
3" Talalay Latex Foam
9" Pre-Crushed Omalon™ Foam
Certified Organic Cotton Cover
Purchase Supports Arbor Day Foundation™
Eco-Friendly Soy-Based Foam

Hi sqls,

I would trust your experience on this because they don’t list the softness of the foams and my “softness” comments were more generic than specific based on the overall design rather than the specifics of the comfort layers and components which they don’t list.

The two Eco Comfort mattresses you are looking at have similar materials (possibly the same) and a similar basic design to some of the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses although they don’t specify the density of the base layers and Omalon polyfoam (or any polyfoam) can come in different grades or densities. The BB mattresses also use a quilting layer on top of the Talalay latex which will change the feel and surface resilience of the mattress compared to a stretch knit organic cotton cover which would let you sleep more directly on the more resilient latex itself (and some may prefer this and some may not). The mattresses at Mathis Bros also include a foundation. They also don’t say the ILD (softness/firmness) of the latex which would make it a little more difficult to approximate how they compare to a particular comfort choice with BB although firmness/softness has nothing to do with the quality or value of the material and many local retailers or manufacturers don’t disclose the “comfort specs” of their mattresses because personal testing is a more accurate way to determine the suitability of a mattress than ILD specs. Many of the BB bedding mattresses also allow for a comfort exchange if your initial choice isn’t quite what you want. As you can see … price has little to do with the quality of what you purchase and both of these mattresses are closer to the price range of many “all latex” mattresses that are sold by many of the online members here.

Because of the reduced risk of being able to test a mattress in person locally … I usually use a 20% “local premium” as a guideline as being roughly equivalent value to an online purchase on a mattress to mattress basis (assuming the materials and design are very similar) although each person may use their own percentage depending on their own personal value equation, their risk tolerance, and which of the options and benefits that are part of each mattress and dealing with each retailer or manufacturer is most important to them.

Thanks for the feedback about your Tulsa experiences.

Phoenix